Cruise portion reduction on Alaska cruise tour

kicia

Has anyone on a sold out Alaska cruise tour (tour portion sold out) been able to get a reduction on the cruise portion? There are cabins available for the cruise. I also cannot determine the cruise portion cost. HAL said it cannot be changed and can't tell me the cruise cost because it is the whole package. Final is due in a week. I can live with this but just wondered if anyone has been able to do this.

Thanks!

[quote name='kicia']Has anyone on a sold out Alaska cruise tour (tour portion sold out) been able to get a reduction on the cruise portion? There are cabins available for the cruise. I also cannot determine the cruise portion cost. HAL said it cannot be changed and can't tell me the cruise cost because it is the whole package. Final is due in a week. I can live with this but just wondered if anyone has been able to do this.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I don't think you can separate the cruise from the tour for determining the cost because they are priced at first by what the cruise line thinks they can get for that tour and then the price fluctuates by how well it is selling. They have several cruise tours as part of each sailing and cabins allocated for tours and for cruising. There is a lot going on as far as filling multiple cabins and tour groups. If all tour groups are filled then they will lower the cruise fares to fill the ship with cruise only travelers.

If you are not at final payment and have not scheduled other activities or your flights you could cancel your cruise tour and reschedule for a date that has had a price reduction.

It's always frustrating when HAL lowers it's fares. You might call them to see if you can get an upgrade to your stateroom if the cruise fares have fallen considerably.

I'm not surprised that HAL will not breakdown the price. A cruisetour is priced as 1 (cruise & land package). I remember reading a post some time ago, that HAL would not even sell a balcony cabin to someone that did not want to do the land portion, until after final payment, then the cabins left on the ship were opened up to just cruisers.

About the only thing I can see to do is try to do a fake booking for just a cruise. Then compare that to the actual cruisetour you want to do. See what the added amount is and estimate that as the land portion.

Have a great trip! Alaska is awesome. We enjoyed our cruisetour to the Yukon and Interior Alaska immensely. HAL does a great job.

The cruise only portion is still available and I can tell what the cruise costs now but I was just asking if there was a way to determine the cruise only portion of the cruise/tour that we already have booked. The cruise/tour is closed to new bookings because the space on the bus portion is filled so I cannot check the current cruise/tour price.

Final payment is due in less than two weeks. We agreed to a price and I can live with it but it is always nice to receive a discount or an upgrade. Looks like I can't separate the two prices to compare.

Anyway, we'll be in Alaska in less than three months and we're looking forward to our first HAL cruise.