Car Rental or Share Shuttle? I don't see the savings

danny8826

I have seen some posts that said if you drive, you would save some money, but I don't see that is being the truth.

I contacted Cocoa Beach Shuttle. They charge $54 for 2 people from MCO to the cruise port.

I then look at car rental. The cheapest is from Alamo at $18 per/day and that doesn't include any insurance, gas, or toll charges. I add them all up and with the 1 day rental, the cost would break even or even more.

Am I not seeing something that others see? How can you save if you drive? I understand the flexibility part, but I don't understand where the saving would come from.

Most who check with their own insurance carrier will find that they can skip on the overpriced insurance and waivers from the car rental agencies - so $18+gas+tolls compared to $54+tips. ;)

Another plus for the car rental is the ability to sleep, dine and stop where I want the night before the cruise. If you use a shuttle you are limited to what is within walking distance of your hotel or paying for taxis. :(

If you are flying in the day of your cruise you are already taking a big chance with flight delays/cancellations - I would also skip the car rental and opt for a shuttle or the cruise transfer bus, along with lots of prayer and a dose of travel insurance in case I missed the ship. :eek:

Most who check with their own insurance carrier will find that they can skip on the overpriced insurance and waivers from the car rental agencies - so $18+gas+tolls compared to $54+tips. ;)

Another plus for the car rental is the ability to sleep, dine and stop where I want the night before the cruise. If you use a shuttle you are limited to what is within walking distance of your hotel or paying for taxis. :(

If you are flying in the day of your cruise you are already taking a big chance with flight delays/cancellations - I would also skip the car rental and opt for a shuttle or the cruise transfer bus, along with lots of prayer and a dose of travel insurance in case I missed the ship. :eek:

Thank you for your input.

We are actually taking a red eye from the west coast arriving the morning of the cruise. We booked our flight through Royal Caribbean Choice Air because if there is a cancellation, they would handle it.

From your suggestion, I might book the share shuttle.

Thank you again.

Danny

I have seen some posts that said if you drive, you would save some money, but I don't see that is being the truth.

I contacted Cocoa Beach Shuttle. They charge $54 for 2 people from MCO to the cruise port.

I then look at car rental. The cheapest is from Alamo at $18 per/day and that doesn't include any insurance, gas, or toll charges. I add them all up and with the 1 day rental, the cost would break even or even more.

Am I not seeing something that others see? How can you save if you drive? I understand the flexibility part, but I don't understand where the saving would come from.

I think when you are 1 person or 2, then one-way car flexibility upon arrival in Cape Canaveral outweighs potential savings (if any). Especially if you arrive early the day before and have most of the day to tour around. Tolls are only $2 each way.

There are even cheaper shared shuttles ($20 per person or slightly more) that some here have used with success so the car rental savings are clearly not always a given and you are absolutely correct. A rental car can also be a pain if you arrive during a busy hour and you have long lines for checkout and lines for shuttles to the pier. And renting a car at the end of your cruise going back to MCO do add additional waiting time and some frustration when 3000+ people have the same idea!

However, when you are 3 or more in your family then the shuttle costs begin to add up and you may save by renting a car, assuming you are traveling in a window of lower rental rates which are all over the place on any calendar year. Rental rates may drop or rise until the last moment!

But at the end of the day, it is not just about costs, or convenience, or flexibility, or peace-of-mind. It is really a combination of these and every cruising family have to choose what works best for them.

Edited by SteerageJoe

Before you book, please consider Cortrans shuttle. They were excellent when we used them a few months ago and they only charge $20.00 per person. Owner Jamie is professional, courteous, and accommodating.

www.cortransbus.com

Thank you so so much for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into them.

I have ask before for share shuttle and some people suggest Cocoa beach Shuttle so that's why I stick with them since there were some good reports, but I'll definitely look into the one you suggest since you have use them not too long ago.

I think when you are 1 person or 2, then one-way car flexibility upon arrival in Cape Canaveral outweighs potential savings (if any). Especially if you arrive early the day before and have most of the day to tour around. Tolls are only $2 each way.

There are even cheaper shared shuttles ($20 per person or slightly more) that some here have used with success so the car rental savings are clearly not always a given and you are absolutely correct. A rental car can also be a pain if you arrive during a busy hour and you have long lines for checkout and lines for shuttles to the pier. And renting a car at the end of your cruise going back to MCO do add additional waiting time and some frustration when 3000+ people have the same idea!

However, when you are 3 or more in your family then the shuttle costs begin to add up and you may save by renting a car, assuming you are traveling in a window of lower rental rates which are all over the place on any calendar year. Rental rates may drop or rise until the last moment!

But at the end of the day, it is not just about costs, or convenience, or flexibility, or peace-of-mind. It is really a combination of these and every cruising family have to choose what works best for them.

Thank you. I do see your point. There are only 2 of us traveling. I'm coming in on Memorial's weekend so I do expect very long line at the check in counter. At this point, I think a share shuttle would be the best for us.