NCL Well Known Cruise Directors

DreamingBig1

We miss Simon from Australia the most. We were on several cruises with him and still wish he was onboard as a CD. Did have Julie on one cruise and Dan the Man on another. Neither were as memorable as Simon. :(

Just my opinion though. I think CD's are as subjective as food. What I like and someone else likes can be worlds apart. A CD or food will not make or break a cruise for us, but the CD and/or their staff will be a big part of the memories...so thanks for the memories Simon! :)

I've cruised on carnival in 1999 with John Heald as the CD and wasn't that impressed. The best CD was Matt Baker , I cruised with him twice on RCL, later heard he jumped ship to NCL and retired ..Now he was funny !!

We really enjoyed Richard the cd on the Sun when we cruise the PC last October. Very friendly and did a great job; always out and about.

I agree! Richard was my favorite. He knew our names from the very beginning and seemed to be everywhere all the time. He made The Sun our favorite cruise to date.

I really don't bother much with the cd either

I just find it interesting that wether they are fake to a pax or not matters

They are all acting so who cares

If her being fake makes an impression on you then I guess the cd does matter to you

In my book every single Ncl employee from the captain down to the knob polisher is just putting on a facade anyway when they greet you or help you

Does anyone really think the crew on any ship is not just putting on a show for the pax?

Of course they are because its there job to be overly nice and accommodating to the pax

We will never see the "real" personality of any of the crew because we aren't supposed to

I am still amused that anyone really cares if the cd is perceived as phony or genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do I think the NCL staff in general are professional and for the most part pleasant and approachable while doing their jobs? Yes I do. Putting on a facade and a show for the passengers? No, with a few exceptions. Do I think we see their "real" personalities? Yes, for the most part, with a few exceptions.

I'm of the camp that a good cruise director can enhance the experience, but it isn't a deciding factor in any way. The most memorable one on NCL was a guy named Big Ken Mills on the Jewel. I don't think he's with the company any longer, but he was a good one: personable, approachable, not over-the-top.
If he is the same Ken Mills that is on Celebrity now, he must have changed. I cruised on the Summit with him in January and many thought he was way over the top and quite juvenile, but then it is all a matter of opinion. His Activity Assistant was very well received.

There was one named Simon who was fantastic. English I believe... overused the word "Smashing" but it became a point of humor over the cruise.

Believe he's more on the Corporate Entertainment side these days though but could be wrong.

Really good guy though

Simon was definitely a great CD. WE had him on our first cruise on the Spirit and then again on the Pearl. He was on a show about NCL and he is doing more in Miami, since he has gotten married and has a family now.

I am not sure how different my cruise will be in August since Simon was the only CD I ever had. He was very funny.

You didn't like John Heald? I've always thought he deserves a late-night talk show gig.[/QUOT

John Heald's schtik was nothing out of the ordinary...same old cruise jokes, etc...I just dont get his following..my sister is practically a groupie...

CD's are not in place to be your best friend - but to seem like they are cruising with you. NCL has had a ton of good ones - their job is to raise the common folk into getting up and doing something. If they annoy - then they have failed. I have enjoyed them all and judge successful as how many times I meet them in the week, in person. (assuming I get a greeting each time). NCL gets a :D

You didn't like John Heald? I've always thought he deserves a late-night talk show gig.[/QUOT

John Heald's schtik was nothing out of the ordinary...same old cruise jokes, etc...I just dont get his following..my sister is practically a groupie...

I really enjoyed Julie and "Dan the Man". My least favorite CD regardless of cruise line has to be Linda Minnikin. She is with Holland America now but she was also with Norwegian. We were on the Statendam with Linda, and she was on the PA so much that it ruined our cruise.

We really enjoyed Richard the cd on the Sun when we cruise the PC last October. Very friendly and did a great job; always out and about.

Yea, Richard is pretty cool. Was on the Epic this past Jan, docked next to the Sun in Cozumel and Richard was still on the Sun. (Welcome back dock party). I'm hoping he's still there in June. :D

Sinan was a great CD but he left NCL

Haven't come across another CD who left such a good impression

I liked JC on the Breakaway but didnt thrill me to pieces like Sinan always did

Not a fan of Dan Dan on the Gem. He was OK but he was # 3 out of the 3 I mentioned

Jamie (Desouza) Weaver is AMAZING! I have been on quite a few ships, even this past year! Jamie by far outshines the rest. She picks fabulous talent to bring onboard and totally gained my respect during a brief 1 minute conversation I had with her regarding one particular entertainer on board! Plus, she seems to have fun with her job! I'm a big fan! BTW, she is currently on the Jewel! :)

Debbie

Edited by hawaiideb

• 5 months later...