How to get to Southampton from London

cruisekap

Hi Cruisekap. I would imagine the train would be easiest. You will then need a taxi to the terminal, which isn't far but is a long trek with luggage. Do you know which of the 4 cruise terminals she will be berthed at yet? It doesn't really need a pre-cruise hotel for the distance involved - it's about 1½ drive I think - unless you wanted to explore Southampton a little beforehand.

Edited by Host Sharon

Hi Cruisekap,

We live in Harrow & it normally takes us about 90 mins to get to Southampton traffic delays permitting.

Our preferred route is M25, M3, M27 & then local roads into the docks. You'll find it's all pretty clearly signposted.

As Sharon has said unless you really want to extend your holiday / enjoy some time in Southampton then there isn't really a need to book a hotel the night before.

However, if you do want to then there are loads of hotels near the docks & in & around the surrounding areas i.e. Eastleigh which obviously vary in price :)

Hope this helps.

Joan

I can't get this link to copy on this device but if you Google:

London to Southampton London Toolkit

this very good site comes up which spells out the options.

Easiest, and for door to door service, would be taxi but most expensive. Finding good train deals, and depending on the time of travel and when you pre purchase train tickets, can be a bit of a challenge so prices for the train can be a bit variable but would be the next costly. The National Express is the most economical.

Both the train and National Express stations are close by one another and as Sharon says, you really need a taxi from either to the Port. Although you will be able to see where you need to go, it's too far to be dragging luggage imo.

After a train trip to London last week I am sticking to the coach in future for a number of reasons; the seats are more comfortable (usually leather, contoured), the coaches are cleaner in my experience, you are guaranteed a seat (unlike the trains they only sell as many tickets as there are seats!), your luggage goes in the hold under the coach (no struggle to find space to put your cases as on the train where the provision in some carriages is abysmal) and you get an interesting journey through London imo.

The NE service allows two pieces of luggage (up to 20Kg in weight each) plus one piece of hand luggage. Goodness knows where that would have gone on the train we travelled on last week! So many people were standing until we got to Basingstoke which is about half the journey! No fun with cases too!

The coach takes slightly longer but not that much but there's always the possibility of traffic delays. Having said that we do the journey quite often by NE to London and Gatwick and have never been more than about 15 minutes late. (Trains can suffer delays too!). So taking that into account I would always choose to get to the Port/Airport the day before unless I lived close-by. It will make your start to your cruise more relaxed. But as I've not used hotels in Southampton I can't recommend any specific ones but there are loads of them around the dock area although you are going to need a short taxi transfer from either the train or Coach Station to the hotel and to the Port next day. I'm sure plenty of hotel advice will be forthcoming.

Good luck with your planning.

We live nearer to Southampton but for peace of mind we always stay overnight and make it part of the holiday, having a good look around.

We have stayed in a few hotels in the area but, to be honest, we found West Quay Premier Inn served us perfectly. Near the Mall, and near loads of amenities. We also ate there at a very reasonable price for a deal. The room cost £34, which was hard to believe.

Loads of cruise people there :)

Really depends on how much you want to spend. Best, easiest but probably most expensive is Smiths For Airports private car service. That's the one I would choose because if I am to be looked after on the ship I want to be equally looked after getting to the ship.

David.

Really depends on how much you want to spend. Best, easiest but probably most expensive is Smiths For Airports private car service. That's the one I would choose because if I am to be looked after on the ship I want to be equally looked after getting to the ship.

David.

We use TMR Executive Cars (ex Smiths).

S Class Merc costs £140 each way, complete with wifi.

Stewart

I have stayed at the Grand Harbour for a special pre cruise treat; it's lovely but very expensive. The West Quay Premier Inn is reasonably priced (£34 if you book well in advance but not much more then £45 if you don't) and the food is very good there. They have a taxi line at reception and you just ring and give the time and the ship (they list all the ships in with their dock on a board below the phone).

The only problem I had at the Premier was a huge mob staying the night before all going on one cruise, who of course all wanted to breakfast at the same time! But the staff couldn't have been more helpful; one of them telephoned my room to say that rent a mob were due in half an hour so would I like to come down now before they filled the restaurant.

Thanks for the information. My husband and I are flying into Gatwick from Lanzarote and were concerned about how to get down to Southampton on a Friday night in June for the start of our cruise the following day. We have booked seats on a National Express coach leaving Gatwick at 18.30h and getting into Southampton at 21.05h and also booked a room at the Premier Inn West Quay for the night before we sail (£91.50 including breakfast) so we seem to be doing it right. Can't wait!

September is a bad time (good for hotel owners) for hotel prices in Southampton due to the boat show - if you are looking rooms when the show is on, you are lucky to be even seeing any vacancies from what I understand.

Its on between the 11th & 20th this year

http://www.southamptonboatshow.com/2014/southampton_boat_show.aspx

Edited by KarenR_UK

As Karen says you were lucky to find availability in September and hotels will be more expensive than usual.

It may be more cost effective and a different start to your holiday to book a hotel in Portsmouth and then travel into Southampton on the train on the morning of your cruise (20-40 minutes on train depending how often it stops!).

Gillian.