Mayan Ruins and Beach excursion threw Carnival?

dsschmidt1995

https://secure.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel-mexico/ancient-culture-mayan-ruins-and-beach-304210?b=4A63375838302B4345524A76325078435758444147773D3D

Thinking of doing this excursion since it is not all day like the other one offered that takes 7.5 hrs. Has anyone done this excursion? What to do before and after the excursion? First time cruisers, trying to figure out what the heck we are doing at each port. :D

https://secure.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel-mexico/ancient-culture-mayan-ruins-and-beach-304210?b=4A63375838302B4345524A76325078435758444147773D3D

Thinking of doing this excursion since it is not all day like the other one offered that takes 7.5 hrs. Has anyone done this excursion? What to do before and after the excursion? First time cruisers, trying to figure out what the heck we are doing at each port. :D

How far did they throw Carnival? Just kidding. :)

Well, you can save a lot of $$$ by doing the ruins on your own. Taxi will be about $40 R/T and they will wait for you. That way you can do what you want and when you want. Taxis are right outside the port.

If you go on the excursion, I am guessing they leave early and have you back in less than 5 hours. The ruins is only about 30 minute drive and it only takes about 45 minutes to see it all. It is small. Gives you time to hit up the port shops, etc.

Edited by BrotherCraig

I agree with BrotherCraig. If you really need to see these ruins, do this one on your own. It's not worth $70 pp to ride there, walk around and ride back.

I'm guessing the "other" ruins excursions that are 7.5 hrs are to the ruins on the mainland (Tulum or Coba) and that's why the long day. I would pay $70 for that excursion if I really wanted to see them, but not San Gervasio. It's much more economical to hire a taxi for a couple of hours to take you there and back.

Whilst I would agree with the other posters that it is easy to do the ruins on your own and they are much smaller than the mainland ruins, I would not be quite as dismissive of the Carnival tour, even though I rarely take ship tours.

The tour according to the description includes more than a trip to the ruins - I am assuming it includes entrance fee and (probably?) guide at the ruins. It then continues with a drive round the east coast, which really gives you a feel for Cozumel away from the tourist hoards at the ports and then to a "beach". This is where the description becomes a little vague and I believe that is because the "beach" is changed regularly and so depends on the current contract.

Independent taxi RT official rate from the ports is quoted as $60 (for up to 4pppl), with waiting, but would be a straight there and back unless you are able to negotiate. To include a round island tour like the Carnival route about $90, about 3-4 hours. These are easy to arrange from the taxi dispatch at any of the piers on arrival. However to do this I would suggest you have a good idea in advance of where you want to go and check prices with driver before leaving and pay on return.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxipuertamaya?From=Taxiairport

This would be your least expensive route.

Personally I like to be in charge of my tour and timing. I would recommend reading the thread Hiring a driver for the day. I have used ToursPlaza many times and would recommend them, especially for a first time visitor. They have a website with suggestions for 3,4 5-hour tours. You can customize. They are very dependable and quick to communicate. A 4-hour tour for 2 will be slightly more than the Carnival tour when you have paid entrance fees, (about $10,, don't know about guide - we have self-toured) but you would be able to stop and stay at places en route at will, (good photo stops and rustic bars on east side). You could add extra time by the hour depending on how long you have in port which may help with your before and after question. You will find many suggestions of places to add in the thread and the website. If you were to finish your tour at one of the many southern beach clubs you could easily pick up a return taxi when you are ready if you want to stay a while. It is not easy to pick up return transport from the east side. HTH.

Edited by c-leg5

and the beach they take you to is not very nice. Just FYI. A lot better beaches in Cozumel than the one they take you to on this tour. From what I have seen.

I am not sure where this tour goes currently. i have read reports over the years of many different resorts being used including Playa Mia, Mr Sanchos, Playa Azul and Ocean Beach. I am not sure if these are all through the cruise lines direct or independent tours through a broker. As I said I personally would want to know from Carnival where they are going as the facilities and reputations vary.