LIVE from Quantum of the Seas, sailing April 12th!

Good morning friends and welcome to day eight of LIVE from Quantum of the Seas! We've just arrived in Bridgetown, Barbados and today I'm joining friends for a day at the beach at The Boatyard!

So stay tuned as the day gets underway! :)

2015-04-18%2006.13.22_zpsyem3s7c0.jpg

2015-04-18%2006.17.01_zpsy5pv0zix.jpg

2015-04-18%2006.18.13_zpsx3zntgj8.jpg

2015-04-18%2006.17.57_zps6nrxeozt.jpg

Excellent review! Thank you so much for taking your precious vacation time to do it! You are making me really want to try out the newer ships! So far we have not even made it on Oasis or Allure! 270 looks amazing!

Have a wonderful day in Barbados! We were just there in February and spent the day at Harbour Lights and Snorkeled with the turtles "Wid Nevil". It was the best day ever!

Coming from another Packer fan..love the cheesehead crown!

Lauri

According to Wikepedia "Lady Moura is a private luxury yacht. She was the ninth largest private yacht when she was launched in 1990, but has moved down the list in 2014 to number 28. She is owned by Saudi Arabian businessman, Nasser Al-Rashid." Would love to see her.

Would really love to see Yacht A, which looks like a Polaris submarine

M/Y "A" is a luxury motor yacht designed by Philippe Starck and Martin Francis,[6][7][8] and constructed by Blohm + Voss at the HDW shipyard in Kiel, Germany.[5][9] It was commissioned in November 2004, and delivered in 2008 at a rumoured cost of US$300 million.[10][11] With a length of 119 metres (390 ft) and displacing almost 6,000 tonnes, it is one of the largest motor yachts in the world.[9][12]

Named for the first initial of its owners, Andrey and Aleksandra Melnichenko, its provocative styling has polarized opinions since its launch.[13] It has evoked comparisons with submarines and stealth warships, while commentators have referred to it as the "most loved and loathed ship on the sea".[14][15]

‘A’ can accommodate 14 guests in one owner's suite and six guest suites. She can also accommodate up to 37 crew members on board.[16]

Interesting Wall Street Journal video on Youtube showing much more detail on "A" for those interested.

Must be nice to be able to afford $40k faucets. :rolleyes:

Now back to Chris's excellent live review!

Martinique seemed like a wasted day. I don't remember any photos showing what you did. Didn't you do anything fun? I thought I'd like to go there one day but it doesn't seem like I'm missing much. Your thoughts?

There are photos starting at post 718. We went to an excellent French restaurant on shore.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Some breakfast at Devinily Decadence

998655a0e96f9f05cb4b5a12904ebedb.jpg

Yummy! While any breakfast I don't have to cook is magically delicious, doesn't the minimalist nature of this set up make you miss the grand buffets with elaborate displays of food and ice sculptures, fruit and vegetable carvings, and mountains of goodies to choose from? Ahh....

... Guess I'll have to break out the Love Boat DVDs to see the simple luxuries of cruising's yesteryear.

Great thread! Thanks for all the beautiful pictures you are taking your time to share.

Martinique seemed like a wasted day. I don't remember any photos showing what you did. Didn't you do anything fun? I thought I'd like to go there one day but it doesn't seem like I'm missing much. Your thoughts?

If I may chime in, walking around the ship you really miss the essence of Martinique. The dock is not in a good area. In fact it is all riddled with shanties scarring the hillside. There's not much to see around the dock. We were leary of the place so we took a ships tour and it was really nice. We went to a very old church, then to the DePaz Rum Distillery for a nice tour and plenty of free samples. They spoke English and gladly accepted USD. The rum was good and not expensive at all. The drive there and the grounds was gorgeous. Lush rain forest and beautiful views. Finally we went to what I thought was the highlight- a visit to the quaint fishing village of St Pierre, where in 1912 (I believe) the entire population was consumed instantly by the eruption of Moubt Pelee, which U could see from the distillery all the way to St Pierre. We got to visit the small museum there that explained the story and it had all kinds of photos and artifacts.

My only compliant was I wish we coulda skipped the church and spent more time in St Pierre

Edited by OTownNick

Yummy! While any breakfast I don't have to cook is magically delicious, doesn't the minimalist nature of this set up make you miss the grand buffets with elaborate displays of food and ice sculptures, fruit and vegetable carvings, and mountains of goodies to choose from? Ahh....

... Guess I'll have to break out the Love Boat DVDs to see the simple luxuries of cruising's yesteryear.

Great thread! Thanks for all the beautiful pictures you are taking your time to share.

I have not seen grand breakfast buffets with ice sculptures in a long time. Celebrity has those on very select days, as a special brunch.

I was wondering this myself, as we were in Martinique in 2001 and I'm at a loss as to what we saw. I know we took a city tour and all that I can recall is the story of the volcano erupting and one guy who was in prison was the only one that survived. Or close to only one I guess. Also, I remember my husband asking for a diet coke from a street vendor and getting Coke Light. I can recall nothing else about this island.

Has anyone ever learned the reason for the glass panels at the railings on this ship? They seem so distracting. Standing at the rail with the wind in your hair is such a nautical tradition. Hardly seems like you're on a ship with all that protection. Is it only that deck?

I think the intent is to provide a break from the wind. All of the new NCL ships have them as well as random glass partitions. They still have gaps between the panels so you'll get some air. You'll see them on the sundecks above the panoramic view decks on the RCL ships that have them too.

cruisemeister8;46310508] doesn't the minimalist nature of this set up make you miss the grand buffets with elaborate displays of food and ice sculptures, fruit and vegetable carvings, and mountains of goodies to choose from? Ahh....

... Guess I'll have to break out the Love Boat DVDs to see the simple luxuries of cruising's yesteryear

You said what I always think, but fail to type.

If I may chime in, walking around the ship you really miss the essence of Martinique. The dock is not in a good area. In fact it is all riddled with shanties scarring the hillside. There's not much to see around the dock. We were leary of the place so we took a ships tour and it was really nice. We went to a very old church, then to the DePaz Rum Distillery for a nice tour and plenty of free samples. They spoke English and gladly accepted USD. The rum was good and not expensive at all. The drive there and the grounds was gorgeous. Lush rain forest and beautiful views. Finally we went to what I thought was the highlight- a visit to the quaint fishing village of St Pierre, where in 1912 (I believe) the entire population was consumed instantly by the eruption of Moubt Pelee, which U could see from the distillery all the way to St Pierre. We got to visit the small museum there that explained the story and it had all kinds of photos and artifacts.

My only compliant was I wish we coulda skipped the church and spent more time in St Pierre

I don't want to take away from Chris' thread but I just wanted to say we are on the same sailing as Chris and we had a great day in Martinique just from walking off the ship and walking around. Here is a link to my blog with photos of our day there. http://quantumoftheseas2015.blogspot.com/2015/04/april-18-2015-fort-de-france-martinique.html

Chris see you in the morning as we are on your tour in St Kitts :)

I don't want to take away from Chris' thread but I just wanted to say we are on the same sailing as Chris and we had a great day in Martinique just from walking off the ship and walking around. Here is a link to my blog with photos of our day there. http://quantumoftheseas2015.blogspot.com/2015/04/april-18-2015-fort-de-france-martinique.html

Chris see you in the morning as we are on your tour in St Kitts :)

No problem at all. I did the same thing and Emmy, Rick, and I went to a fantastic French restaurant for lunch. Posted the photos here of course ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk