Flights for the changed Sun cruises

joemedic

How is everyone doing rescheduling flights for the Sun's new ports? I was supposed to go out of New Orleans and now am going out of Houston. It is going to cost my family and extra $1500 in airfare/fees. I am so upset because I am sure there must be a way that we could do the change for cheaper. Delta will not bend with the fees and they are significantly higher than they were when we booked. Now they tell me that they may be able to get my fees waived but they will not know until Sept 31...the day after we must tell Norwegian if we want to cancel. Ugh.

Of course, there is also the worry that Delta will go bankrupt before I figure out anything. Bummer. :confused:

How large is your family? Where are you flying from? How much via percentage did the fare increase? How much were the fees? Details help a little....

For $1500 you would think it might be best to drive the distance, even if it took two days each way....

If Delta can't give us cruisers a break, let it go broke!

I am flying from NY with 5 people in my family. We can not drive...no more vacation days. I guess I'll call back Delta...maybe they ment Sept 30 (not 31). Our final payment was due Sept 17 but NCL has extended that to Sept 30.

This is the most stressful vacation that I have ever planned, however, I am sure we will end up sucessfully planning out something and having a great time.

Joemedic,

I know what you mean! I keep second guessing everything I deciede. My TA agent asked me today if I wanted her to check on what was left on the Dream cabin wise........ At first I was going to have her do it then after thinking a minute I knew we didn't want to go on the Dream. So that's one thing I am not stressed about I know I don't want to go on the Dream. I haven't even checked into to flight changes yet until I find out what we are going to do.

Joemedic: We share your flight-plight! We're booked on Delta for Cincinatti to New Orleans for the Sun cruise on Oct. 16th. I talked to "Angie" at Delta tonight. She told me that Delta would not refund my ticket to New Orleans because, as of today, the flight has not been cancelled. She said the fllight to New Orleans have only been cancelled through Sept. 15th. So, if they are working a week in advance, I guess we won't know in time to cancel our cruise....this will work out...

This may help some of you who are getting the run around. Looks like flights through October 31 will be changed penalty and fare increase free. Please see the info at the bottom of the news release. The change with NO FEE or penalty includes TEXAS.

I would also be speaking to Carnival. THEY made the decision to lease the ships to FEMA, displacing thousands of their passengers. IMHO, it was strictly a business decision and NOT a humanitarian gesture. All airlines that I know of have waived penalties for flights into and out of affected areas. The dates vary.

Weather Alert: Hurricane Katrina

Last Updated: September 8, 2005, 4:00pm EDT

Hurricane Katrina impacted travel in select areas of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi. If you are traveling to, from, or through these areas, check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute information about your flight arrangements. To get updates sent directly to your wireless communication device, be sure to sign up for Flight Notifications.

Rescheduling Flights

If your flight is canceled or delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following cities on Delta, Song®, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.

Destination City

(To, From, or Through) Original Travel Date Original Ticket Purchase Date

(On or Before) New Travel & Reissue Date (No Later Than)

Naples, FL

Key West, FL

August 25–27, 2005 August 25, 2005 Ticket must be reissued by:

August 27, 2005

New travel no later than:

August 30, 2005

Alexandria, LA

Baton Rouge, LA

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Fort Myers, FL

Fort Walton Beach, FL

Jackson, MS

Lafayette, LA

Meridian, MS

Miami, FL

Monroe, LA

Mobile, AL

Panama City, FL

Pensacola, FL

Sarasota, FL

Tampa, FL

West Palm Beach, FL

August 27–31, 2005 August 27, 2005 Ticket must be reissued by:

September 6, 2005

September 6, 2005

Gulfport, MS1

New Orleans, LA1

For ticket reissues:

August 27–October 31, 2005

For refunds:

August 27–September 15, 2005

August 27, 2005 Ticket must be reissued by:

October 31, 2005

October 31, 2005

1Customers traveling from/to Gulfport and New Orleans can travel to/from an alternate Delta or Delta Connection airport located in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, or Texas with no fare adjustments or penalty.

Contact Reservation Sales to make changes to your itinerary.

Conditions & Restrictions

Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

My son is going on the 16th sailing with a friend and his family. Delta changed all 8 of their tickets with no penalties. Delta said as long as the airport was closed, there would be no penalties. The airfare was about the same to Houston as New Orleans. This was done on Sept.6th.

I would also be speaking to Carnival. THEY made the decision to lease the ships to FEMA, displacing thousands of their passengers. IMHO, it was strictly a business decision and NOT a humanitarian gesture. All airlines that I know of have waived penalties for flights into and out of affected areas. The dates vary.

In this case, contacting Carnival won't help. The OP is sailing on the Norwegian Sun. :)

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Although NWA's website says they are only allowing those booked through October to make changes with no penalty, they told me they would waive the change fee for our NOLA flights in November after I told them the cruise line had to change our port due to the hurricane. As the Houston flights were cheaper, they told me we would get a credit of the difference. I'm usually pretty vocal about NWA's poor customer service--I'm in one of their hub cities so I end up using them a lot. But in this case they really came through. Not bad for a company enmeshed in a strike that was pushing them over the brink into bankruptcy even before Katrina hit!

Our flights pre and post cruise are on American Airlines. They were extremely cooperative, change our flights not only for destination, but for date also, since the departure day in late January is now on Saturday instead of Sunday. We paid only the difference in fare between the old and new flight destinations from our area ON THE DAY WE ORIGINALLY BOOKED. The tickets are backdated to the original date of purchase, as if we were never going to New Orleans. They waived the fee for changing as well. We were very happy, especially since we are now flying non-stop instead of having 1 stop-over, which when flying from the north can be a problem in cases of snow or bad weather.

Now that we have all of our changes made, including our hotel, we are so happy to just relax and anticipate the trip.

United charged me $100.00 fee, plus difference in flight $119.00, $219.00 per person. THey would only wave the fees for flights up till October 31st, and I'm not leaving until Feb 25th. Anybody else find out something different please let me know.

Thanks

Cheryl

Archived