Trying to find a bed and breakfast

LMKakaThing2

The bed and breakfast I was going to stay at has been booked by a local soccer team. Can anyone recommend a good b&b near Palmer or Wasilla? The original b&b had recommended another b&b but it requires a 2 night stay and I only need a 1 night stay.

Can I ask why you want the bed & breakfast near Wasilla or Palmer? Are you going to see Denali National Park? If you are going to the park, I recommend Denali Dome Bed & Breakfast in Healy. You can reserve 1 night there. It is a geodosic dome house. I have stayed there both times I went to Denali. The people who own it(the Millers) are well informed about the area and the breakfasts are wonderful. My cousin lives in Wasilla. I will also check with her and see if she is familiar with any b&bs near there.

Wish I was going to Denali [emoji17] . We get off the Radiance on a Friday morning and our flight doesn't leave until 11:50 pm Saturday night. We'll have a car and want to get away from the city (Anchorage). I would love to see the Aurora Borealis and know that the further north you go, the better chance you have of seeing them. Plus we're picking the car up from the Anchorage airport and feel that going north makes more sense than heading back south.

Edited by LMKakaThing2

which town fits into your itinerary best?

Pioneer Ridge B&B in Wasilla ... has a unique history and is well reviewed.

The town really doesn't matter to me. Just want to be closer to the wilderness than the city. I looked at Pioneer Ridge, but unfortunately they're fully booked. For whatever reason, I have waited until the last minute to book excursions and lodging for this upcoming cruise :eek:.

Edited by LMKakaThing2

The town really doesn't matter to me. Just want to be closer to the wilderness than the city.

There is only 4 hrs of darkness in mid May so your chances of seeing the aurora are pretty slim. Check the aurora activity site prior to leaving home so you have a better idea of the activity level.

Do you have any activities planned for the day if you drive to Palmer or Wasilla? Have you considered a drive to Matanuska Glacier and ice trekking or white water rafting? There are some nice cabins up there (Homestead Guest Cabins); it's remote and about 2 hrs from Anch.

Highly recommend Homestead Guest Cabins in Glacier View near Matanuska Glacier. We've stayed there for three nights in the past, and it was a wonderful experience. Beautifully handcrafted cabins built by the owners from his own sawmill. We had a moose family visit us every morning and every evening - such a thrill! Lovely people who have so much experience to share. If you get the opportunity,talk to the owner's father, an elderly gentleman who is an original Alaskan homesteader - he even wrote a book, which I ordered off Amazon. Clean, comfortable cabins w/all the comforts of home and very close to the Glacier.

Wish I was going to Denali [emoji17] . We get off the Radiance on a Friday morning and our flight doesn't leave until 11:50 pm Saturday night. We'll have a car and want to get away from the city (Anchorage). I would love to see the Aurora Borealis and know that the further north you go, the better chance you have of seeing them. Plus we're picking the car up from the Anchorage airport and feel that going north makes more sense than heading back south.

You are going end of May? You essentially have a zero chance of seeing any Aurora. So you may want to rethink your ideas. Come up with another area of interest perhaps? Then go in that direction?

Since you are arriving in Seward, why not consider staying there and enjoying some of the excellent opportunities there?

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. After discussing everything with my mom, we have decided to stay in Wasilla at the Alaska Adventure Unlimited Chalets. Actually got a great deal at $113! Since we're picking up our rental car from the Anchorage airport, my mom didn't see the point of doing a 4 hour roundtrip to get back to the airport the next night.

I will admit, I didn't realize that we would only have about 4 hours of darkness in May. Thought when I had first looked, it was closer to 8 hours. Seeing the Aurora Borealis isn't everything. We're planning on visiting the Reindeer Farm in Palmer and visiting Talkeetna (co-worker said we should visit). Living in a suburb and only being 30 minutes from a major city, we both wanted to get as far away from a major city as possible.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. After discussing everything with my mom, we have decided to stay in Wasilla at the Alaska Adventure Unlimited Chalets. Actually got a great deal at $113! Since we're picking up our rental car from the Anchorage airport, my mom didn't see the point of doing a 4 hour roundtrip to get back to the airport the next night.

I will admit, I didn't realize that we would only have about 4 hours of darkness in May. Thought when I had first looked, it was closer to 8 hours. Seeing the Aurora Borealis isn't everything. We're planning on visiting the Reindeer Farm in Palmer and visiting Talkeetna (co-worker said we should visit). Living in a suburb and only being 30 minutes from a major city, we both wanted to get as far away from a major city as possible.

You have two potential days for touring. Not a lot of time. What is your "4 hour" reference???

As I mentioned above, you are sure you have no interest in any Seward activities? At the least, Exit Glacier and the Sealife Center are excellent. Excellent wildlife opportunity as well.

Wasilla, is- well pretty built up, Walmart even. :) Your "major" city, is simple- to avoid Anchorage. Do you have the interest in Talkeetna? Are you going to be flightseeing? Did the coworker recommend anywhere else? Their activities there? Reason I ask is because of your short time and for you to perhaps ask yourself if there are some areas, of more interests to you?

You have two potential days for touring. Not a lot of time. What is your "4 hour" reference???

As I mentioned above, you are sure you have no interest in any Seward activities? At the least, Exit Glacier and the Sealife Center are excellent. Excellent wildlife opportunity as well.

Wasilla, is- well pretty built up, Walmart even. :) Your "major" city, is simple- to avoid Anchorage. Do you have the interest in Talkeetna? Are you going to be flightseeing? Did the coworker recommend anywhere else? Their activities there? Reason I ask is because of your short time and for you to perhaps ask yourself if there are some areas, of more interests to you?

My 4 hour reference is it takes about 2 hours to get to Seward from Anchorage and then another 2 hours to get back. On top of that, since we're picking up a car from the airport, it's another 2 hours. We don't want to be dictated by a tour once we get off the ship. We'd prefer to do our own thing.

I'm fine with not visiting the SeaLife Center since it doesn't really interest me. It looks neat though, but it's not something I would want to spend a lot of time at. What does interest me is the Wilderness Conservation Center. We will probably drive there and then over to Portage Glacier.

As far as Talkeetna goes, it looks interesting. We don't have a town like it where I live. We are not going flightseeing. It's amazing that I'm even flying to Alaska in the first place :eek:! We are more interested in just being out in the wilderness. There's no place back home that has such beauty like Alaska and we just want to experience it.

I want to get away from people if possible. So if it means going north of Anchorage, to get away from everyone with little to do in the way of activities, I'm perfectly fine with that. I want to try and find something off the beaten path and to relax without being around crowds.

Lisa, have you thought about renting a car in Seward and turning it in at the Anchorage airport? I know that it is more expensive to do a one-way rental but it would let you maximize your time. It would also save the cost of the transfer to Anchorage. The drive to Anchorage is beautiful and you could stop at the wildlife center and Portage Glacier on your way to Anchorage, visit Alyska and Girdwood and stay somewhere in that area. The next day you could drive north of Anchorage and then back to the airport for your flight. Just a thought. :)

In mid-May you shouldn't be faced with lots of people.

Edited by judynorth

I originally was going to rent a vehicle in Seward. However, the price was $150 more than the car in Anchorage and transfers.

I just called to see what the price would be, and it's $541! $341 more than the other rental car and transfer. That doesn't even include the deposit of $541. I realize no matter what, they will require a deposit. But that's too steep in my opinion.

My rental vehicle in Anchorage is only $120. As much as I would love to drive myself to Anchorage, I just can't justify the price.

I just called to see what the price would be, and it's $541! $341 more than the other rental car and transfer. That doesn't even include the deposit of $541. I realize no matter what, they will require a deposit. But that's too steep in my opinion.

My rental vehicle in Anchorage is only $120. As much as I would love to drive myself to Anchorage, I just can't justify the price.

Talk about taking advantage of the tourist! The $150 difference might be worth it to have the extra time but not almost $350!

Talk about taking advantage of the tourist! The $150 difference might be worth it to have the extra time but not almost $350!

I could justify $150, but not $350. Plus the vehicle at Anchorage is an SUV and the vehicle in Seward is only a midsize car.

I don't mind having an additional $120 tied up because of a deposit. But having an additional $541 tied up is a little scary[emoji33].

A car is not needed in Seward. It's too bad that the $150 difference isn't available- well worth it.

There is NO need to go back and forth to Anchorage- for anyone, wanting to tour Seward. You do NOT need any car here. Everything is close by, a limited free shuttle bus around town. Cheap shuttle bus to Exit Glacier, can walk to the boat tours.

However, I don't think the OP is going to find Talkeetna, what they are looking for either. It's wall to wall people, buses, in season. Very busy. I always, avoid my favorite restaurant during the day- way too crowded with hour/s long waits. I head down the road to a place that most people won't walk to, :) Palmer could be a better fit. but wouldn't be a destination for most.

However, I don't think the OP is going to find Talkeetna, what they are looking for either. It's wall to wall people, buses, in season. Very busy. I always, avoid my favorite restaurant during the day- way too crowded with hour/s long waits. I head down the road to a place that most people won't walk to, :) Palmer could be a better fit. but wouldn't be a destination for most.

I also doubt that the OP will find Talkeetna attractive. Years ago it was a funky Alaskan community but now, from the viewpoint of someone who lives in Alaska, it has become a "tourist trap."