Suggestions for shore excursions!

Alley Hoops

Hey everyone!

We just booked Carnival Liberty out of Puerto Rico, it was a surprise gift from my husband and I am so excited!! This is our third cruise, but we have never been to these ports.

We love all sorts of excursions(any activity level).. Snorkeling, zip lining, touring cities, and just laying on the beach.

We would love some suggestions for shore excursions- what you loved/hated, what company to use/not use. In the past we have booked both thru carnival and privately.

Would also like to know what great beaches at these ports not to miss. So pretty much.... What should I not miss seeing/experiencing at the following ports!!!

Puerto Rico

St. Thomas

Barbados

St. Lucia

St. Kitts

St. Maarten

Thanks!!!

We are doing this itinerary for the second time this fall. First one was on the Valor a couple of years ago.

San Juan - Definitely go there a day or two ahead of time. Great port, explore the forts, and shops in Old San Juan, maybe the beaches in Ocean Park or Isla Verde, An excursion to the Rainforest, or a Bacardi Rum tour. We are staying at the Tres Palmas Inn ourselves for our pre-cruise day.

St Thomas - Meagans Bay beach or Sapphire beach are really nice, or if more into beaches, you could do an excursion over to Trunk Bay beach on St Johns. A first time would probably do best to do a local tour guide with some shopping, sightseeing and beach time. Lots of them available right off the pier.

Barbados - An island tour or go to the Boatyard area beach.

St Lucia. - we will be doing Cosol Tours there again, gorgeous island. I hear a lot of good things about Spencer Ambrose too.

St Kitts - we just did a walk around the market area, and did a 2hour tour with one of the local guys.

St Maarten - We did an island tour with shopping, markets, sights, and went to both Orient beach and Maho beach (the one with the low flying planes)

Join your roll call, and explore what other passengers are doing. Also check out the individual boards for each of the ports of call.

You will thoroughly enjoy this cruise.

I should have clarified a bit. Thanks CB at Sea.

We did dot do any ship excursions. We only really did 2 private ones.

St. Lucia is not really a beach day. More about the scenic island, the Pitons.

You really need to do the tour there as the roads twist all over the place and not really a place to go on your own. Been noted by quite a few posters.

St Maarten we did one private tour here to see the beaches and both the dutch and french side of the island. There is one beach right near the port in Philippsburg, but the water quality has been reported as suspect. St Maarten is too nice an island not to see as much as you can.

Other ports are more doable for beaches by just grabbing a taxi. The locals there give you the mini tour while they get you there.

Hi Fellow South Carolinian! Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

St. Thomas: Our favorite is the Champagne Catamaran to a beach in St. John. Most cruise lines offer this one.

Barbados: On of the catamarans doing a "swim with the turtles" is fun. Boatyard is good for an on-your-own sort of thing.

St. Lucia: Seeing the Piton up close by water is worthwhile.

St. Kitts: The catamaran offered by the ship to Nevis is a good one!

St. Maarten: For you first time you'll probably want to go to Orient Beach.

You would probably enjoy checking the Ports of Call Board here on Cruise Critic under each of your port stops! ;)

LuLu

I should have clarified a bit. Thanks CB at Sea.

We did dot do any ship excursions. We only really did 2 private ones.

St. Lucia is not really a beach day. More about the scenic island, the Pitons.

You really need to do the tour there as the roads twist all over the place and not really a place to go on your own. Been noted by quite a few posters.

St Maarten we did one private tour here to see the beaches and both the dutch and french side of the island. There is one beach right near the port in Philippsburg, but the water quality has been reported as suspect. St Maarten is too nice an island not to see as much as you can.

Other ports are more doable for beaches by just grabbing a taxi. The locals there give you the mini tour while they get you there.

The OP said he/she was open to either ship or private excursions. But definitely it's not a necessity to do an excursion in any or all ports. Especially not to a beach.

Before a cruise, I'll go to the library and check out some guidebooks and start my research there. If there's a guidebook I like, I'll try to find a recent edition to buy for the actual trip. I also will google each port as there's plenty of tourism sites to check out. Then I'll make a list for my family to discuss. But sometimes even then, we try not to make an inflexible list so we can play it by ear. I'll also check out what excursions the cruise line offers. Even if not considering one of them, they will list many interesting sights.