Wi-Fi@Sea Program

timdeb7581

From March 16th 2015

"bravo to the beards in Miami who have the new packages and new speeds on the Carnival Freedom, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Breeze and today added the Carnival Sensation, Carnival Elation and Carnival Paradise. And by the end of May we will have added 4 more ships and I will let you know what they are shortly."

On the Paradise right now. We bought the value plan. The speed is decent, however you can only be logged into ONE device (phone, tablet, etc) at a time. Kind of a pain, unless you want to shell out the cash for a second plan

Anyone know if the premium plan is actually worth it over the value? Speed difference notable?

It's not really a speed difference. With premium you can Skype, Facetime & stream music. You can't do those things with the value plan. I was impressed with the speed, but noticed on seas days it was a bit sluggish, probably from everyone accessing it.

I've boarded today and have great news....Fascination has the new WiFi packages. :D

For the 4 day cruise:

Social: $15

Value: $35

Premium: $60

Hope you are enjoying your cruise. Do you mind giving us details about the program when you return? How well it worked, etc?

We had the Social package on the Ecstasy for $15. I thought it worked well. I didn't use it a lot only early morning and late night when my daughter wasn't using it. She kept in touch with her BF this way. She said the speed worked well for her, except a couple occasions when it seemed slow , but she would log out and log back in. It then seem to work fine. One day she said snapchat was slow to work. It would have been where we were in he ship. But for 15 it kept her happy to be able to messenger her bf.

Carnival also is testing out a new Internet system on Carnival Freedom, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Sunshine that increases both the bandwidth and speed of the Internet onboard. As part of the trial, the line is piloting a social media package that gives passengers unlimited access to sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat and Pinterest for a flat fee of $5 per day or $25 per sailing.

I found the above on the Carnival Sunshine FAQ's but still have a few questions regarding the value pack (cheapest)

1. If I sign on to Facebook I could just use FB to chat with my son back home using that feature on FB.

2. If I wanted to check my email would I have to get the next package and if so would it work with windows live mail to download my gmail account?

3. Normally I text on my phone - not sure if I could text via the internet?

4. This works on an iPad too I am sure?

Thanks - trying to figure out ahead of time how to keep in contact with my dog sitter and 90 year old mother in failing health.

If anyone wants to share more details that have used the new package I would appreciate it!

Any guess whether it will be available on the Legend by the time we cruise on Sept 15th to Hawaii? I read one place that the Alaskan Ships will have it this summer - and the Legend is an Alaskan Ship... Fingers crossed for sure because $60 for unlimited sure sounds better to me than $69 for 200 minutes! Especially since the wifi is so iffy and slow that everything takes forever to load!

• 2 weeks later...

If this premium access wifi supports music streaming and Skype, can you also use other apps with it. Like games?

Sorry, not tech savvy. Just trying to figure out how to make everyone happy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My mom and I each got the social plan so we could facebook message each other onboard. It didn't work great. We couldn't just login and then expect it to be working when a message was received. It seemed to time out randomly and then we had to go through the login process again. Once logged in and actively using it it was fine, but since you never knew when it would stop working it wasn't great for just keeping in touch onboard. As far as uploading pics to Facebook, it worked once or twice of the about 10 times I tried.

My mom and I each got the social plan so we could facebook message each other onboard. It didn't work great. We couldn't just login and then expect it to be working when a message was received. It seemed to time out randomly and then we had to go through the login process again. Once logged in and actively using it it was fine, but since you never knew when it would stop working it wasn't great for just keeping in touch onboard. As far as uploading pics to Facebook, it worked once or twice of the about 10 times I tried.

Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate it was we will be on the Sunshine next month.

1. Were you on the Freedom?

2. By any chance did you talk to anyone who had the more expensive package? I wonder if where you were in the ocean made a big difference

3. What a great idea to use it to communicate with another person perhaps using your iphones! I know the Breeze has an app for that purpose.

4. I wonder if a text app like Pinger (over wifi) would work better on the most expensive plan

5. So on the cheapest plan does it just let you pick a website or app to click on - in other words you are not using internet explorer for an ipad but rather a screen they have set up?

I can't seem to find any info on this if anyone has links giving more info or first hand experience. THANKS!