Disney Magic or Carnival Valor?

IslandLife17

We are looking into a family cruise for February of 2016. As we've been to WDW three times, I started with their cruise line.

They have a 4 night on the Magic which would be do-able. But I don't love the port options (their private island, and Nassau)

Then I looked at Carnival. For about the same price, we could take a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Valor. I like the port options better as well.

Disney pros - we are obviously familiar with the Disney brand:p, and our kids at 9 and 10 would still enjoy Disney themes. Time wise 4/5 days cruises are perfect for us.

Disney cons - price, and ports. We are going to escape the weather in New York, and I think the ports are too chancy for the time of year. We were just in WDW in February and we FROZE (and unlike Anna, I WAS bothered:D ) Freezing on whats supposed to be a warm weather vacation would probably ruin it for me. :o

Valor Pros - ports, price. More "bang for the buck" more days, upgraded room, etc.

Valor cons - older ship, Carnival "brand" is unknown to us.

Unknowns:

Beverages - I'm unsure of the drink situation on either ship. I understand Disney allows you to BYOB, but that most drinks (non-alcoholic?) are included in the cost? I have no idea what Carnival's beverage policy is.

Food - we like to pack our own snacks and such when we travel. Are we allowed to bring some of our own food? I hate getting hungry at 11:00pm and not having food.

Kids clubs: are not a factor in our decision as I don't know if my kids would even want to do them.

So, WWYD?:D

We are looking into a family cruise for February of 2016. As we've been to WDW three times, I started with their cruise line.

They have a 4 night on the Magic which would be do-able. But I don't love the port options (their private island, and Nassau)

Then I looked at Carnival. For about the same price, we could take a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Valor. I like the port options better as well.

Disney pros - we are obviously familiar with the Disney brand:p, and our kids at 9 and 10 would still enjoy Disney themes. Time wise 4/5 days cruises are perfect for us.

Disney cons - price, and ports. We are going to escape the weather in New York, and I think the ports are too chancy for the time of year. We were just in WDW in February and we FROZE (and unlike Anna, I WAS bothered:D ) Freezing on whats supposed to be a warm weather vacation would probably ruin it for me. :o

Valor Pros - ports, price. More "bang for the buck" more days, upgraded room, etc.

Valor cons - older ship, Carnival "brand" is unknown to us.

Unknowns:

Beverages - I'm unsure of the drink situation on either ship. I understand Disney allows you to BYOB, but that most drinks (non-alcoholic?) are included in the cost? I have no idea what Carnival's beverage policy is.

Food - we like to pack our own snacks and such when we travel. Are we allowed to bring some of our own food? I hate getting hungry at 11:00pm and not having food.

Kids clubs: are not a factor in our decision as I don't know if my kids would even want to do them.

So, WWYD?:D

Hi, I'm 100% pro disney, but we only do 7 days...so we'd do carnival in your case. BUT if the shorter cruise fits, then do shorter.

Disney: you can bring whatever fits in your carry one as far as food and drink, well, not raw meat or fresh fruits. lol. soda, coke products, coffee, milk, hot chocolate are included, you can bring your own alcohol. no hiding, just bring it. and you can bring water, if you want. Room service on disney is free. On Carnival some hot items have a charge (you can get grilled cheese, veggies and cookies free. here's the menu for carnival: file:///Users/traecetullos1/Downloads/room-service-nosushi-menu-pdf.pdf)

HOWEVER, there is room service, and food everywhere. I do bring simple snacks/juice boxes for my kid, cause, sometimes you just need an applesauce and idk what's in the 'juice' on the ship. (we dont do artifical dyes). However, you can get boxes of cereal, banana and keep those on hand, and bring as a snacks (prepackaged) to ports. I never brought snacks before dd. mainly I do because when she's hungry, feed her NOW.

On carnival, you can't bring on alcohol, you can buy a soda or alcohol package, I'm not sure if you can bring a case of soda/water on board.

I never look at ports, that part doesn't matter, nor do we travel in feb.

Disney island is my favorite port, though. I like the beach, the food is provided, I'm not bothered by locals selling me stuff, I know I won't get lost., the ship is right there. you have showers and bathrooms after swimming. Plus food on the beach.

I was on the Valor when it was new. Funny, seeing it called an older ship. I belive Magic is older, as well?

Ask yourself the question of which of the following statement better describe you:

(1) You want a cruise vacation visiting some nice ports ...

Or

(2) You want a magical Disney vacation, with Disney entertainment on a Disney-themed ship.

As for food, it is hard for people to get hungry on a cruise ship, regardless of line. :D

Ask yourself the question of which of the following statement better describe you:

(1) You want a cruise vacation visiting some nice ports ...

Or

(2) You want a magical Disney vacation, with Disney entertainment on a Disney-themed ship.

As for food, it is hard for people to get hungry on a cruise ship, regardless of line. :D

NCL reminds the only one...I didn't like dinner, the buffet was only greasy food, room service never answered. Actually was hungry.

I was on the Valor when it was new. Funny, seeing it called an older ship. I belive Magic is older, as well?

Yes, the Magic is one of the older ships, but being Disney I'm less concerned about that.

I would love to check out their private island, just not as keen about doing so in February. I heard from those who did this year that it was quite chilly there.

On Carnival, you can carry on a 12 pack of drinks (non-alcoholic) per person, 20 oz. or less each bottle/can. You can buy a soda card, I believe they are now calling it Bottomless Bubbles.

There is always food available on the ship, and there is room service 24/7. For more detailed information, you could ask on the Carnival board here at CC, under Cruise Lines A-O. EM