Bear viewing - Redoubt Bay

rajacks

I've searched these forums, but can't find the specific info I'm looking for so....

We are spending a week DIY in Alaska before sailing south from Seward on July 3. We've had a recommendation to use Rust's Flying Service for a bear viewing tour. I'm considering the 1/2 day to Redoubt Bay sometime the last week in June. A couple of questions:

1. Is it better to go morning or afternoon?

2. Anyone have experience with either Rust's or Redoubt Bay?

TIA for any info that will help! :)

Ruth

Verify the peak season. For a lot of areas, you are too early. With these tours, I never go outside of peak. I went to Lake Clark/Katmai last year second week of July with the salmon running late. I choose a nonsalmon diet area, so knew I wasn't dependent on the salmon and had superb sightings. They are also tours, that really need overnights. Add to the mix- these tours, need leeway. You can have delays both getting there and leaving, should plan on at least 1 extra day.

As for Rust's, I've flown with him several times but not to Redoubt. He's the leader flight expert out of Juneau, in my opinion. :)

Thanks so much for the quick response and excellent info! I'm glad to hear you've had good experience with Rust's. They were recommended to us by a friend of my son's who is from Alaska.

I have done some research on best times for bear viewings, but it is a bit overwhelming! :) I decided to just contact Rust's and ask them for advice on where (if any place) during our time frame is the best. We shall see what they say!

Thanks so much for the quick response and excellent info! I'm glad to hear you've had good experience with Rust's. They were recommended to us by a friend of my son's who is from Alaska.

I have done some research on best times for bear viewings, but it is a bit overwhelming! :) I decided to just contact Rust's and ask them for advice on where (if any place) during our time frame is the best. We shall see what they say!

Are you receptive to seeing browns, nonsalmon diet? And an overnight?