Average age

jaynedough26

My first cruise was the Carnival Pride to Grand Turk and the Bahamas last June. My husband and I had a blast! We met a couple friends, but really appreciated when we just enjoyed each other's company. I was telling someone at work that I booked the Breakaway in June to Bermuda. She proceeded to tell me , "oh that's just for the elderly you will hate it" we are mid thirties. I will have to see for my self, but just wanted some of your opinions. Thanks in advance!

I can't answer that for this breakaway itinerary but in general how many people do in your age bracket (with similar interests) do you need to feel comfortable? I am sure you will find them on a ship this size regardless of how old the rest of the guests are.

Never cruised to Bermuda, but have done an Alaska cruise on Holland America. There were more seniors on that cruise than a Caribbean cruise, but still all ages were on board. I would think a younger average age on a Bermuda cruise, especially on NCL vs Holland. Just wondering, has your co-worker ever taken a cruise to Bermuda, or just making an assumption of something she doesn't know about? I want to go to Bermuda too, and Breakaway sounds awesome. Happy sailing.

From my 2 times on NCL, they seem to have quite a young demographic on board. Along with Carnival, NCL has among the youngest guests. I love older folks too, always have. You are right, you are going to have a blast.

I'll start by saying that my 2016 will be my first NCL cruise. We are just back from a Celebrity cruise. We were told the same thing about Celebrity, but it wasn't true at all! In fact, we met more people than on our last Royal Caribbean cruise. Some people just open their mouth when they don't know anything. Some people will always try to bring a dark cloud to your sunny day. Saying, "you will hate it" makes me think that this person may be like that. Ignore her and have fun! How could you hate a new boat, a gorgeous location, and a plethora of delicious food and drinks?!

Oh wow, I would say your friend is definitely mistaken. We saw people of all ages on our Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. It's not just old people, not by a long shot. There are lots of couples, families, and some older folks too—but it seemed to me to be a healthy mix.

You'll have a great time! We went once to Bermuda and got hooked!

I am in my early 30's and have sailed to Bermuda twice with NCL with another one booked this summer. I've done both the Dawn and the Breakaway. It was definitely a healthy mix of all ages! The nightlife was always fun, we enjoyed meeting people and chatting at the bar, making plans for on and off the ship. Don't worry. You will have an amazing trip.

I don't think she has cruised to Bermuda. She was just talking specifically about NCL in general. I don't really care. I love seniors. I am a long term care nurse. I was just curious. I will have a blast no matter what!

I don't think that her comment has any merit whatsoever. There has been a wide variety of ages on each of the NCL cruises I've taken, I could not even say that any of them were dominated by one age group or another. OK sure, during school break in March - there are more kids onboard, but even then - it is broad and varied.

Don't worry. You will have fun and there will be lots of people your age... whatever it is.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

I have not been on The Breakaway but I have Her sister ship The Getaway in June, lots people from babies in arms on up. Depending on when your June cruise, if the school is out you will find lots of muliti-generational families. The Breakaway has lots of things for all ages. Have fun.

I don't think she has cruised to Bermuda. She was just talking specifically about NCL in general. I don't really care. I love seniors. I am a long term care nurse. I was just curious. I will have a blast no matter what!

I think it depends on the itinerary. We've always had a good mix, with the 30 - 50 crowd being the majority.

I would expect a June cruise on the Breakaway to have one of the lowest average age of any cruise. Families cruise during the summer break AND the Breakaway has so many appealing options for the younger generations: waterpark, ropes course, lots of bars, multiple entertainment options, UBP, etc.

I think your friend has a misconception about NCL and the Breakaway. Maybe she is confused with Holland???

Nah, your coworker doesn't know what she's talking about - maybe she was referencing cruising in general as being more popular with the retired crowd.

We're in the same age range (32 and 35) and cruised on the Breakaway last year. It's a great ship - one that I think is very well suited towards younger couples, with or without families. In comparison to the same itinerary (NYC to Bermuda) that we did on the Star a few years ago, there's SO MUCH to do on the Breakaway. We were bored on the sea days on the Star, but not on the Breakaway. In fact, we liked the Breakaway so much that we booked the Getaway for this year. I don't think you guys will hate it, unless you fall into the category of people that think it's just too big of a ship. We've also sailed on the Carnival Pride - same itinerary you did - and in terms of the ships themselves, we definitely preferred the Breakaway.

In June, you'll see a younger crowd on any cruise, since school will be out for the summer. We usually cruise when school is in session, but we've generally found a pretty good mix of ages on our NCL cruises. Breakaway seemed to have a younger crowd than previous NCL cruises, but I've never felt out of place (age-wise) on any NCL cruise.

It's also possible that your coworker thinks Bermuda is boring or wouldn't appeal to you. If you haven't been there before, do some research on what to expect. A Bermuda cruise has a bit of a different atmosphere, since you're docked in one place instead of sailing to multiple ports. Personally, we really like that - it gives you an opportunity to get to know the island a little better and to come and go as you please without worrying about what time you need to be back on board. You're not having sailaways every day, but NCL still does a lot of deck parties, if that is important to you - can't speak on how they compare to non-Bermuda cruises, as we didn't spend a lot of time on the ship when docked in Bermuda either time we've cruised there. Bermuda isn't as much of a party port as some other places we've docked - no Señor Frogs in the port, at least as of the last time we went! There are a few places to get a drink and one spot that's open late night, but you'll find night life on the ship as well. In general, Bermuda is a very English island and it isn't quite as casual as other islands that you've probably been to. There is a lot of great stuff to do there and absolutely beautiful beaches. We love Bermuda - definitely want to go back!

I'm willing to bet the future demographics will change once families realize that NCL is not going to have the Nickelodeon characters onboard after 2015. :mad:

As a parent who has sailed on three NCL/Nickelodeaon cruises, I'm going to have to disagree. Honestly, while the kids (when very young) did enjoy the larger events like the Pyjama Jam, the rest of it was nothing much... the Meet & Greets were one second and a photographer, the colouring sessions were sheets of paper and crayons... Splash Academy was vastly more fun for the children.

OK, when Sponge Bob danced by the pool - it was entertaining, but it lasted 15 minutes over a 9 day cruise.

Kids will have just as much fun with whatever NCL has planned, be it something more or only the Kids Club.

That is my experience in any event.

Multiply the total passengers by your age, then dived that by the crew, then find the square root of that, then think of the first number to come into your head multiply that and you should have an average age , there again maths was not my strongest subject. :D

As been said by many a wide spectrum of ages, and as you said you'll enjoy it anyway.

Dickie

My first cruise was the Carnival Pride to Grand Turk and the Bahamas last June. My husband and I had a blast! We met a couple friends, but really appreciated when we just enjoyed each other's company. I was telling someone at work that I booked the Breakaway in June to Bermuda. She proceeded to tell me , "oh that's just for the elderly you will hate it" we are mid thirties. I will have to see for my self, but just wanted some of your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Lets put it this way....

You are in your mid thirties and realistically others your age may have young children and you don't mention if you have any so here is my opinion...

Pax within a 10 year radius of your ages will...

Cruise early June if they are childless

Or

Cruise late June if the have young kids

It's difficult to leave school age kids behind in June due to year end activities and rarely does a parent leave them behind right when school ends

If you were 23 or even 53 that's o e thing..... But the vast majority of 30 something's are working around the school calendar in ny and of course other states have different calendars

Just an FYI by the June 21 cruise the ba will become a real family Itin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You'll probably find the same age demographic on NCL as on Carnival. A good mix of ages unless you're sailing during Spring Break out of Miami (we were on a 4 day Spring Break cruise where over half the passengers were under 26).

NCL does have much better looking people on board than any other line. :)

You had a blast before...that's all that counts! The ages of passengers vary greatly...to ANY destination! Go! Have fun!

There is a saying that the longer the cruise; the older the passengers. We saw that on our Feb 2015 Breakaway Eastern/Southern Carribean cruise. There were only 180 children (mostly very young; or European); young couples with those children and very elderly. As young 50 + year olds, our hearts sank when we saw the variety of walkers, wheelchairs and canes as we boarded in NYC. Don't get me wrong, I am not against elders (I too work in long term care) but found it hard to relate as well as to meet some of these folks. During rocky times, we had to dodge various elders with their precarious ambulation feeling really bad for them and knowing it may be me some day.

One great point of being on an older passenger cruise is that I literally had the slides, climbing wall and ropes course to myself which I loved.

There is a saying that the longer the cruise; the older the passengers. We saw that on our Feb 2015 Breakaway Eastern/Southern Carribean cruise. There were only 180 children (mostly very young; or European); young couples with those children and very elderly. As young 50 + year olds, our hearts sank when we saw the variety of walkers, wheelchairs and canes as we boarded in NYC. Don't get me wrong, I am not against elders (I too work in long term care) but found it hard to relate as well as to meet some of these folks. During rocky times, we had to dodge various elders with their precarious ambulation feeling really bad for them and knowing it may be me some day.

One great point of being on an older passenger cruise is that I literally had the slides, climbing wall and ropes course to myself which I loved.

I did that cruise in early January with my college kids and there was a better demographic age wise

Lots of 50 yo parents with their well behaved college kids enjoying a family vacay before the summer internships make it impossible for them to do a summer vacay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums