Dress Code in Cagney's

Keith B.

I read in another thread that ties are required in Cagney's? What about the other specialty dining rooms? What about jackets? I have my tux cleaned and pressed for formal nights but I hadn't planned on tie and jacket the other nights. NCL site says "Resort Casual".

The only 2 things men can't get away with one or 2 of the restaurants is a tank top and shorts (maybe Bermuda shorts but even that is a stretch with some of the ships / dining). Just wear a polo shirt or presentable top with some slacks, and maybe a jacket, don't really need a tie and you're good to go. Have fun on your trip!!

I ate at cagneys with dress shorts and collared shirt...hmmm...maybe thats why they put me out on the boardwalk (mid winter - joking)...

but smart casual...just no flip flops and tank tops.

Cagneys and LeBistro are the 'dressier' venues but no ties required. I usually see Polo shirts, or dress shirts for guys (no shorts). My husband usually wears a button dress shirt with slacks. All of the other restaurants are a little more casual.

At least last year, shorts were permitted in Cagneys, and we saw plenty of people wearing them. The only dinner spots on Getaway and Epic that didn't permit shorts were Le Bistro and the aft MDR (Tropicana Room/Manhattan Room).

I read in another thread that ties are required in Cagney's? What about the other specialty dining rooms? What about jackets? I have my tux cleaned and pressed for formal nights but I hadn't planned on tie and jacket the other nights. NCL site says "Resort Casual".

Please post a link to the thread you mentioned so we can see first hand what you referenced. Thank you.

On our last night on the Epic (a week ago Saturday) we ate at Cagneys. At the table next to us were two younger folks, the guy had on soccer shorts and a tech t-shirt; the lady had yoga pants and a t-shirt. Looked like they just left the gym.

While it in no way affected the great meal and experience I had there, I did notice the couple! On the other side of us was a large table and all the guys had on a jacket and tie; the ladies had nice dresses.

I was dressed somewhere in between. . .

Cagney's clearly allows shorts/jeans. Resort casual. Le Bistro and the largest of the MDR's are the only two places that shorts are not allowed for dinner. Dress as you wish any night, and you never need a jacket or tie for anyplace on any NCL ship.

Cagney's clearly allows shorts/jeans. Resort casual. Le Bistro and the largest of the MDR's are the only two places that shorts are not allowed for dinner. Dress as you wish any night, and you never need a jacket or tie for anyplace on any NCL ship.

The Manhattan on the Breakaway, while requesting no shorts, did not enforce that. There were some with shorts last week.

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

Last week on our Epic cruise a man was sent away to put pants on when he tried to come in with shorts. Maybe it depends on the ship?

The code is the same fleet wide, except for the Sky which does short cruises of less than 5 days and is all cruise casual. The code applies on all 7 day cruises. Embarcation night is casual in all venues as some may not have their luggage yet. Otherwise long pants for men, collared shirts, no caps, close toed shoes in aft MDR and Le Bistro. Everywhere else is Cruise Casual and shorts are permitted.

How strictly is it enforced ship to ship? It may just depend on who is manning the hostess station and how observant, or confrontational they are. Maybe some just look the other way. But to avoid a trip back to the cabin to switch to long pants or jeans, I would just follow the guidelines.

Edited by punkincc