Cruise Director Felipe Couto - Thoughts?

lidopuppy

I'm of the philosophy that the CD won't make your cruise either way, but a good one can certainly enhance the experience. We'll be on the Liberty and Felipe Couto is the CD so I did research...and its nothing but negative. I don't think I've researched a CD with less positive feedback than this guy. Does anybody have anything good to say, or is he as boring and inattentive as everything I've read? Again-I know we will have a fantastic cruise (like we always do). I was just curious. Thanks for any feedback.

I'm of the philosophy that the CD won't make your cruise either way, but a good one can certainly enhance the experience. We'll be on the Liberty and Felipe Couto is the CD so I did research...and its nothing but negative. I don't think I've researched a CD with less positive feedback than this guy. Does anybody have anything good to say, or is he as boring and inattentive as everything I've read? Again-I know we will have a fantastic cruise (like we always do). I was just curious. Thanks for any feedback.

That doesn't sound like the Felipe I know. I had him on the Valor in March and June of last year. I didn't find him boring. I didn't find him inattentive. I thought he was the most obviously enthusiastic of the CDs I've had.

If that's the same Felipe we had for our March cruise on the Liberty out of Port Canaveral, we thought he was great. He did the Cat in the Hat parade and storytime and had a fabulous personality. He sometimes made announcements that interrupted activities on the Lido deck, but I'm not sure how he would have known or delayed them (e.g., to accommodate a movie). Always signed off announcements with "whooo hooo". He also was a hoot in the Celebrity Singing Performance on the main stage (haven't seen someone do the running man and the worm for quite some time). Overall, quite pleasant and funny!

Edited by islandga

I am so surprised to read this, Felipe Couto has a huge following. We have had the pleasure of having him as our CD 3 times. He was the first CD that we ever had that we actually thought was available and involved. Honestly he is amazing you will love him.

Awesome. That is great to hear. I had read on other posts that he wasn't that great, but I think its all personal preference. I think he will be fantastic. As long as I know that others like him, I'm sure we will as well. Thanks.

As others have said, this does not sound like the Felipe that I've had experience with! He has been our cruise director on two cruises and we absolutely love him! He even remembered us from one year to the next, always called us by name, and even gave me his cell phone number so I could contact him when I was coordinating a flash mob. He has more energy than almost anyone I've ever seen! He's friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and loving. He even did a tribute for a friend of ours who had passed away (she had also cruised with him two times previously). When he saw that she had passed, he and Stephanie, the assistant cruise director, did a tribute to her that night during the deck party. He took a picture of the tribute and posted it on his Facebook page so all of her friends and family could see it and remember the great times she had with him in the past.

I would book a cruise specifically to cruise with Felipe as my CD!

He was new on my Carnival Paradise cruise in 2009...maybe even the assistant, can't remember...but he was caring and around...and then got promoted...I thought he was great in the learning role or as new CD...he is guy who says woo hoo a lot I think...maybe some do not like that but he was around and mixing with folks...being sure people are having fun but not pushing himself either...I thought he was great.

I find it difficult to believe that he has the most negative reviews out there. There are three CD I can name that are absolutely horrible. Felipe is not boring at all. He actually is quite entertaining and I believe he does not make as many announcements as others.

WOOHOO!

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.That's great to hear. One thing I want to clarify - I didn't say he has the most negative reviews out there. I just mentioned that he had less positive feedback of the 6-8 Carnival CD's I've researched for the previous cruises I've taken. Truth be told, they've all been really good...the late great Corey Schmidt being the best of them all.

• 8 months later...

What????? I just travelled in cruise 6 times. 3 of them with Felipe. He is really amazing!! Funny!! Sociable! Very accessible!!! In the last cruise he has a challenge to find him to take a selfie!!! I see him any time, anywhere!!! I love him!!!

Personally? I didn't care for him. I found him to be kind of boring, and I wasn't overly impressed. I agree that a cruise director isn't the determining factor as to whether or not I have a good time, but he wasn't as present as some of the cruise directors I've sailed with and had kind of a "vanilla" personality.

But this that being said, I can see how some people would really enjoy sailing with him, just as some people probably don't care for my favorite cruise director, Everson Bevelle.

I love Felipe! He was the CD on our very first cruise, and set the bar so high that not one CD since has come close to him. He was so personable, he was out and about all of the time, and he even showed off his skills at the MJ dance night in the club. I was super bummed when the new CD schedule came out and I found out we are going to miss him by just a week on our next cruise!

Felipe is awesome and I believe if you can find a moment or two to introduce yourself, he will stop and speak with you. I have sailed with him 3 times, and he is one of the most involved CDs I have sailed with. When a CD remembers you and your name from a prior cruise, that is a huge plus in my book - especially considering I am one of thousands who sail with him.

Let me put it another way....Felipe impressed me more the first time that I sailed with him than the first time I sailed with Matt who is transferring to the coveted CD position on the Vista.

Don't worry too much about this as I believe you will have an awesome time with Felipe.

I had him on the Liberty back in July of 2015. I found him to be completely boring. I didn't even know who he was when I walked into the past guest party. I was always out and about on the ship and rarely ever saw him or heard from him. He didn't make my cruise bad, but it might have added a little something that was missing from the cruise