Planning for a small group. Ideas?

jeffdal

I am planning a 40th birthday party but I don't have a number of staterooms set... this is really in idea formation stages. I also don't think I will meet the 8 stateroom minimum for Carnival's group sales. I might have 8 state rooms after I send out an email but I really doubt it. Years ago Carnival used to have a website where you could set this up and send links to folks but I could not find it.

Any ideas on how to do this? Or how would you go about it?

Here's some facts:

*The actual birthday is August 16

*Looking to leave out of Galveston.. this would be better for most of the group

*Considering dates after 8/20 due to price drops and I have noticed lots of schools starting up on 8/24 (there's a 8/20, 8/23, 8/24)

*Combination of first time cruisers and past cruisers and also different price points due to budgets (inside, oceanview, suite will be used).

*I am looking to send out an email to the possible attendees with links to the different sailing options.

*Will need booking ideas. I probably will need to have all bookings linked together (or not?)

Thanks for any ideas.

I have set up several group cruises over the years. Usually what I do is find a few cruise options and send the info out to the people I know for sure are going to go on the cruise.

We then choose the cruise we want to take and I either set up a group cruise with travel agent or carnival if I know we will get 8 cabins booked OR I just make out a flyer of sorts and email that out to friends/family who may be interested and they forward them to whomever they think would like to join us.

We just booked a group cruise for next March. We only had 6 cabins booked and we are up to 10 now. So worked out well! Where I booked the cruise through set up a link to forward to anyone we chose with information on the cruise and how to register to book. It was easy peasy!

Hope that helps a bit??

I have set up several group cruises over the years. Usually what I do is find a few cruise options and send the info out to the people I know for sure are going to go on the cruise.

We then choose the cruise we want to take and I either set up a group cruise with travel agent or carnival if I know we will get 8 cabins booked OR I just make out a flyer of sorts and email that out to friends/family who may be interested and they forward them to whomever they think would like to join us.

We just booked a group cruise for next March. We only had 6 cabins booked and we are up to 10 now. So worked out well! Where I booked the cruise through set up a link to forward to anyone we chose with information on the cruise and how to register to book. It was easy peasy!

Hope that helps a bit??

Thanks for those ideas. On the cruise that had a link, did you get that from Carnival or a travel agent?

That's right...pick the ship and date, and let a TA handle all the bookings and requests! Do NOT do it on your own. Someone (and usually more than one) will be unhappy about something...let the TA handle everything!

I know when you're a frequent cruiser, you want to impart your wisdom to everyone else, and that usually doesn't work out how you planned. Let everyone make their own bookings and let those 1st timers have the wonder of discovering their 1st cruise!!!

That's right...pick the ship and date, and let a TA handle all the bookings and requests! Do NOT do it on your own. Someone (and usually more than one) will be unhappy about something...let the TA handle everything!

I know when you're a frequent cruiser, you want to impart your wisdom to everyone else, and that usually doesn't work out how you planned. Let everyone make their own bookings and let those 1st timers have the wonder of discovering their 1st cruise!!!

Great tip!

Getting a group together for a cruise is a large undertaking whether large or small. I have attempted to do it several times formally using Carnival and a TA, with me being the point person, which turned out be be more of a headache than I can describe. The first few cruises we informally discussed the plans during the holidays or family get togethers, to see what cruise lines, itineraries, dates, etc, everyone would be interested in, then we finalize a date, and one or two of us book the cruise and let the others know. Now, those who have cruise the most grab the cruise itinerary/schedule while onboard on a Sea Day on Ocean Plaza, and decide before the end of the cruise for the next one. We then either book onboard, or book when we return once we go over work and school schedules for the next year. We also use social media to get the word out to other family members and friends which is the easiest way for us. We don't use the group booking either, we let everyone book through our PVP or on Carnival.com. The veteran cruisers usually walk everyone through the process with the best promotions/discounts, etc. This has worked out great for us, with what will be our third cruise doing it this way. Everyone we cruise with is pretty travel savvy, with making their own arrangements which also helps. We do a lot of things together as a group, along with planning events onboard, events before the cruise, door signs, etc. We haven't gone as far as t-shirts yet though. Hope everything works out with your planning. Also, most of us select Early Saver Rates, which has resulted in upgrades from IS to BL, BL to suites (nominal cost), along with some nice OBC's.

Edited by sjcruiser

I let my TA set it all up.

He created a survey that I forwarded to my friends to decide on which cruise to take.

After that, he is the point person and will get all the reservations and payments from my friends.

If you do it yourself, you need a vacation from planning the vacation. :D

Getting a group together for a cruise is a large undertaking whether large or small. I have attempted to do it several times formally using Carnival and a TA, with me being the point person, which turned out be be more of a headache than I can describe. The first few cruises we informally discussed the plans during the holidays or family get togethers, to see what cruise lines, itineraries, dates, etc, everyone would be interested in, then we finalize a date, and one or two of us book the cruise and let the others know. Now, those who have cruise the most grab the cruise itinerary/schedule while onboard on a Sea Day on Ocean Plaza, and decide before the end of the cruise for the next one. We then either book onboard, or book when we return once we go over work and school schedules for the next year. We also use social media to get the word out to other family members and friends which is the easiest way for us. We don't use the group booking either, we let everyone book through our PVP or on Carnival.com. The veteran cruisers usually walk everyone through the process with the best promotions/discounts, etc. This has worked out great for us, with what will be our third cruise doing it this way. Everyone we cruise with is pretty travel savvy, with making their own arrangements which also helps. We do a lot of things together as a group, along with planning events onboard, events before the cruise, door signs, etc. We haven't gone as far as t-shirts yet though. Hope everything works out with your planning. Also, most of us select Early Saver Rates, which has resulted in upgrades from IS to BL, BL to suites (nominal cost), along with some nice OBC's.

Excellent ideas. I am going to go with the sailing our core group wants to do and then let others know via social media. Then let folks know the details so they can book on their own.