Help! Can't Decide - Pompeii/Capri or Pompeii/Amalfi ????

Help me decide! I'm torn between seeing Pompeii and Capri and Pompeii and Amalfi. Somehow, using local transportation (the train) to Pompeii and then traveling to Sorrento to catch the hydrofoil to Capri seems more appealing to me but I know the Amalfi views are breathtaking. Plus, doing the local transportation thing would be a lot cheaper and not then spending so much of the day in a car is a bit more appealing. However, I'm willing to fork over the money for a private driver for Amalfi if that is the "don't miss" tour. I'd love to hear your comments and many thanks in advance for them!!!:)

Susie

I would suggest not missing the amalfi coast

Ask for Salvatore...He also take you to the most WONDERFUL and reasonable priced restaurant for Lunch in Ravello.....and stops at the most BEAUTIFUL hotel Hotel Santa Caterina *( Brad and Anjelina stayed there )

It is Paradise on Earth...dont miss Amalfi!!!!!

Those of you that have gone with drivers/guides.... When you "booked" with them, did you have to send them a portion of the fee when you reserved your trip?

I'm thinking that Naples and Rome are the two "musts" for hiring a guide. I have emailed both the guides mentioned here. Anxious to see if they are available and how expensive they are.

We are only 4 adults, although we would be happy to share with a few more. If we book for 4, I wonder if they will let us add if we find others on these boards interested in the same tours???

Those of you that have gone with drivers/guides.... When you "booked" with them, did you have to send them a portion of the fee when you reserved your trip?

I'm thinking that Naples and Rome are the two "musts" for hiring a guide. I have emailed both the guides mentioned here. Anxious to see if they are available and how expensive they are.

We are only 4 adults, although we would be happy to share with a few more. If we book for 4, I wonder if they will let us add if we find others on these boards interested in the same tours???

I have booked drivers for Naples/Amalfi,Rome next year.There are 3 of us and they said we can add on,Which we hope to do. The van seats 6. No money exchanged,pay on day. You have to book early to secure the most popular ones.Received fast reply,Already had a few laughs with them so should be a good time. Have been to Capri,loved it.,but after all it is only for the views from it.Which you also get on the Amalfi drive.

Do you have the name of the restaurant in Ravello, or a description of where it is located? We are going to Sorrento a few days early for our Oct 12th Liberty cruise. We are doing the local bus trip from Sorrento to Amalfi then up to Ravello. We think Ravello will be the best place to have a meal.

Sandra

We went last year and we hired a private driver. It is the way to go, I believe. I would not miss out on Pompeii. We are going next year and will probably pass on it, but only because we walked all over last year. It was an amazing site to see. One of the best of all of our ports... The Amalfi drive was so gorgeous, if not a bit scary. I was SOOO glad that I wasn't in a tour bus for it. The town of Sorrento was our favorite little town on the cruise. It was beautiful and the shopping there was one of the best places. I heard at our table after our day in Naples, that the few that went to Capri, weren't really impressed with it.

Hope that helps:)

We took RCI's tour in Naples and went to Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii. We elected to do this because we wanted to see Capri and Pompeii. The jetfoil to Capri is steps from the dock; we toured Capri, then took the jetfoil to Sorrento for lunch, touring and shopping. We then drove along the coastline to Pompeii. The tour there was amazing. Then we stopped briefly at a cameo factory before returning to the ship. We were glad we saw all of this, even though it was a long day. If you want an overview of all, we suggest this tour. We would recommend it to anyone who has not been to this area.

check out this website for a virtual tour of Amalfi drive

http://www.francescomarrapese.com/tour.htm felt like I've been on it already :p

Thanks for this web site. Now I can show DH the views.

I had to laugh at the first two pictures after Sorrento. I took my then 12 year old son on a drive from Los Angeles up to our home in the SF Bay Area, going along Highway 1 the whole way. This is also a world famous fantastic seacoast drive. After about 45 minutes, he cranked the seat back to take a nap, saying "Well, Mom, if you've seen one gorgeous Pacific Coast sea view....you've seen them all"! :eek: :eek: So much for an inspiring experience. :D

Thanks again.

We got hold of Salvatore at *****. He returned my email within a day. He was not avaliable on June 2, when we will be in Naples, so he booked us with Roberto. Have read good things about all him and Roberto on these boards. When we did a google search for a web site, we found this:

driveamalfi.com

COMING SOON!

driveamalfi.com was recently registered at the DiscountDomainRegistry.com.

I am hoping that's Salvatore!

Two years ago, we did the Amalfi coast with Sorrento Limo. Ruocco Genarro was our driver and he was really nice. A little less boisterous than some of the drivers we had used in other cities but very informative. We could tell he was sharing the place he loved with us. He took us to a beautiful restaurant in the mountains where we ate an excellent lunch while enjoying an amazing view. Pompeii was so incredible that we are going back next year when we take the Millie in May'06. On that cruise we're going to do Capri, Sorrento and Pompei off the ship just because it's easy for the transfers, etc. and because we've seen the coast. We're doing something different in every port! Can't wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived