Boat Tour Around Bonaventure Island (Perce) On A Shore Excursion Out of Gaspe, Canada

My husband and I are taking a "fall foliage" cruise on the Crystal Serenity in October 2016, and I'm trying to get a jump start on possible shore excursions. The ship stops in Gaspe, Canada. We are hoping to book a boat tour in Perce (1 hour from Gaspe) that goes around Bonaventure Island - either through Crystal or through a private company. If we do this through Crystal, then the transportation is included. If we do this through a private company, then we will rent a car and drive to Perce. Questions:

1) Have you been to Gaspe?

2) Have you visited Perce?

3) Did you take a boat tour around Bonaventure Island? If yes, was it through Crystal or privately?

4) Do you know whether Crystal has offered a boat tour excursion around Bonaventure Island in the past? I have tried to search the Crystal website for past cruises, but nothing pops up. Moreover, Gaspe is not designated on the itinerary as a maiden port for Crystal. It's a real puzzle! Unfortunately, there are no "sample" excursions listed for Gaspe on my cruise.

5) Can you recommend a private company for this type of excursion? I have come across a few names, but when I search their website, everything is in French, and I'm afraid that my high school French is very rusty.

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Shelley

I can't answer the questions that the OP asked. For the French websites, use Google Translate.

However, I do know that anyone can take the Bonaventure boat ride around the island, not just ship tours. The cost is $25 and we are renting a car from National and it will be delivered to the port.

Edited by pizzalady1

I can't answer the questions that the OP asked. For the French websites, use Google Translate.

However, I do know that anyone can take the Bonaventure boat ride around the island, not just ship tours. The cost is $25 and we are renting a car from National and it will be delivered to the port.

That's great! I wonder why the one operator told me differently. Maybe I was too early and he was perturbed at being disturbed out of season. Oh, well. I just figured that the ship had booked the private operator boats for particular times.

I also took into consideration some other factors, like Gaspe being a tender port, and the fact that we're trying to hit a loyalty level with the cruise line and our shorex spending contributes to that with HAL.

OP, good luck with your planning. Should I find out anything about this subject on my cruise (we leave in 17 days!), I'll try to remember to come back and tell you about it.

Alberta Quilter - Thank you, that would be great if you could share your information when you get back.

Pizzalady1 - Thank you for the clarification. I'm also interested in learning more about National. I know that Budget is located next to the Marina dock, but I wasn't aware National was local. Do you give them the time that the ship arrives, and they have the car waiting for you at the dock? At the end of the day, does National send a representative to the dock to take the car back from you? Are you setting the times for delivery and return in advance, or do you call them when you arrive at the dock? Which company are you using for the boat tour around Bonaventure Island?

Your help is really appreciated! Thanks!

Shelley

1) Have you been to Gaspe? -- yes, on a HAL cruise in 2010

2) Have you visited Perce? -- yes, on the same HAL cruise

3) Did you take a boat tour around Bonaventure Island? -- I set out to take a whale-watching tour, but the weather was against it and the seas were too rough, so it ended up being a tour around Bonaventure Island/Perce Rock. It was a really great tour, and I enjoyed it, but most people grumbled because they were disappointed about not seeing whales. We also stopped for lunch at Perce. (It was in 2010, but this is my report of the adventure: Gasping at Gaspé)

If yes, was it through Crystal or privately? -- I was on a HAL cruise and it was a HAL tour.

4) Do you know whether Crystal has offered a boat tour excursion around Bonaventure Island in the past? I have tried to search the Crystal website for past cruises, but nothing pops up. Moreover, Gaspe is not designated on the itinerary as a maiden port for Crystal. It's a real puzzle! Unfortunately, there are no "sample" excursions listed for Gaspe on my cruise. -- I was on HAL, I have no experience at all with Crystal.

5) Can you recommend a private company for this type of excursion? I have come across a few names, but when I search their website, everything is in French, and I'm afraid that my high school French is very rusty -- I did a HAL tour, but I can tell you that the lack of French may be a problem if you are trying to get along on your own. I found Gaspé to be almost exclusively in French. It was difficult to communicate with persons other than the tour director if you did not have a working knowledge of French.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit no matter what you decide to do. The area was beautiful and I'd love to go back (and see it not on a National Holiday.)

Alberta Quilter - Thank you, that would be great if you could share your information when you get back.

Pizzalady1 - Thank you for the clarification. I'm also interested in learning more about National. I know that Budget is located next to the Marina dock, but I wasn't aware National was local. Do you give them the time that the ship arrives, and they have the car waiting for you at the dock? At the end of the day, does National send a representative to the dock to take the car back from you? Are you setting the times for delivery and return in advance, or do you call them when you arrive at the dock? Which company are you using for the boat tour around Bonaventure Island?

Your help is really appreciated! Thanks!

Shelley

Budget is no longer at the train station. The owner called my to let me know since I had a reservation with them. National is at the airport but will send the car to the pier. They know what ship is coming and what time. I made the on line reservation for 1/2 hour after the published arrival time and returning 1 hour before sail away. After making the reservation on line, call the local National office at 418-368-1970. They will mark the reservation for pier pick-up/drop-off. Ask for Nancy. Their email is gaspe@national-rimouski.com

There used to be two cruise lines touring around Bonaventure Island. They have merged, so it makes it easier. When you get to Gaspe and are ready to take the boat, just go to their office, pay for the trip and take the next boat out. I believe the boats are hourly.

We have just booked this tour from a British cruise line (Fred Olsen) for our call at Gaspe on 2nd June this year. Our cruise is called 'Cities and Landscapes of Canada' and the ship sails from Liverpool on the 22nd May.

I usually find that the tours tend to be the same when offered by all cruise companies, as they are run by local tour operators in the port concerned, so I suspect this will be the same tour as offered by Crystal. You can check the details of that tour on the Fred Olsen website as a sample tour - go to the cruise, then select shore tours and the port of Gaspe. I tried to give a link but I could not get it to work. This tour description may be more accurate than a trip by Crystal in previous years as the details could have changed since previous years.

Looking at our various ports for this cruise, (especially the less visited ones), it is obvious that when we are visiting is before the season has got underway. Hence private tours which happen in the high season, (or in the fall when cruise ships are fairly common in that area), do not necessarily take place when we are there.

We do not want to drive to Perce as it is a long journey on a windy road and from our perspective we would be driving on the wrong side of the road. Also we only have one driver as I have lost my licence due to an eye condition. It sounds like the coach journey itself will be pleasant as it is a scenic drive and we have been charged £55 each for the 5 hour tour, (food not included), which we thought was actually quite good considering the risks associated with booking a private tour. I think the American lines tend to bunk up the tour prices more then the British lines though and if they offer lunch that could be a way of justifying their price!!

Here is the tour description from HAL, if that helps:

Perce, Bonaventure Island Cruise & Perce Rock

Perched atop steep cliffs, Gaspé and Percé are breathtakingly beautiful, and the panoramic drive between the two cities is an unforgettable experience. Today’s route winds along more than 60 miles of rugged cliffs passing sweeping bays and the most extraordinary panoramas in Eastern Canada. Delight in the vistas of the Bay of Gaspé, the cliffs of Forillon National Park, the Barachois de Malbaie (sand bar), the stunning precipices along the coast in Percé and, of course, its legendary rock. Percé has attracted visitors since the 1930s, when it became a popular cultural center. Artists were charmed by the colorful fishing port and the incredible beauty of the site. Those interested in art and culture will be amazed by Percé’s diversity of artists and artisans. You’ll have free time to explore the town of Percé on your own—an ideal place for browsing at the many souvenir shops, art galleries and handicraft boutiques that offer a wide variety of local and regional crafts and products. Next, travel by boat around the Bonaventure Island & Percé Rock National Park. You’ll circumnavigate the famous Percé Rock before setting out to see the largest gannet colony in the world, where thousands of birds nest on the cliffs of Bonaventure Island—an unforgettable experience.

Notes:Limited tourism infrastructure is part of Gaspé’s charm; please be advised that transportation may be more basic than in other ports (school bus or similar).

No meals are included and the cost is US$109.95.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

An interesting comparison, I make the £55 we have been charged as equivalent to about US$81!! It sounds much the same tour, unless the HAL one is for more than 5 hours. I did not think of copying and pasting, but have done so below.

Cities & Landscapes of Canada > PERCE & BONADVENTURE ISLAND CRUISE PERCE & BONADVENTURE ISLAND CRUISE (TOUR D)

Tour-D-2---BONAVENTURE-ISLAND_original.jpg?nid=68585d83-8761-4917-af78-80a8ccee9be6 Perched at the top of steep cliffs, Gaspé and Percé are breathtakingly beautiful, and the bus ride that joins the two towns is an unforgettable experience. As the bus winds slowly along more than 100 kilometres of rugged cliffs and past sweeping bays, you can admire the most extraordinary panoramas in Eastern Canada.

The Bay of Gaspé, the cliffs of Forillon National Park, the Barachois de Malbaie (sand bar), the unique precipices along the coast in Percé, and, of course, its legendary rock, offer a feast for the eyes.

Upon arrival in Percé, you will board your boat which takes you around the Parc National de I’lle Bonaventure et du Rocher Percé. You will see both sides of the famous Percé Rock, one of the world’s largest and most spectacular natural arches and a proud testament to Gaspésie’s geological heritage. An unshakeable mass of rock and limestone 375 million years old, it measures 433 metres in length, 90 metres wide, and 88 metres at its highest point. Its weight is estimated at five million tonnes. The arch itself is 15 metres high. The rock is a renowned nesting place for cormorants, kittiwakes and seagulls.

Bonaventure Island is home to a spectacular congregation of around 250,000 sea birds, including razorbills, gulls, murres, and puffins. The island also has 223 species of avian wildlife.

After the boat ride you will be given some free time to explore Percé for yourselves. Percé is a fascinating site which has attracted visitors since the 1930’s when it became a popular cultural centre. Artists were attracted and charmed by the colourful fishermen and the incredible beauty of the site. With its magnificent landscapes and diverse activities, Percé lures ecotourism enthusiasts as well as admirers of art and culture.

Percé and its surroundings inspire energy and wonder. You can climb to strategic viewpoints and marvel at the surprising panoramas. Those interested in art and culture will be amazed by Percé’s vitality and diversity. Here, you may meet local artists and artisans or discover Percé’s rich historical and architectural heritage. Percé is an ideal place for shopping; its many souvenir shops, art galleries, and handicraft boutiques offer a wide variety of local and regional crafts and products, certain to inspire a multitude of gift ideas. Here you can enjoy a snack (at your own expense), explore the lovely shops or simply relax in this beautiful environment.

After approximately 45 minutes of free time, you will re-board your bus for the return drive back to Gaspé.

DESCRIPTION CCORRECT FOR 2015

Gaspe, Canada

Price£50 - £60

DurationApproximately 5 hours

LimitationLimited Capacity

Walking level 1 - minimal or no walkingMinimal or no walking

Free time includedFree time included

Shopping time includedShopping time included

Is this tour right for you?

TOUR NOTES: The majority of walking on this tour is at the discretion of the individual, however there is approximately 200 metres of walking to reach the tour transport and 400 metres of walking between the coach parking area and where you board the boat. Depending on the tides, the ramp used to board the boat may be steep. Please note that school buses may be used for this tour. We cannot guarantee what wildlife will be seen. There is no stopping on Bonaventure Island. The boat is undercover with a deck for observation. Sturdy shoes and weather appropriate clothing are recomended.

Edited by tring

OK< here is the NCL description, it looks like the most expensive of the three cruise lines:

Cruise to Perce Rock and around Bonaventure Island to see its northern gannet colony and then explore Perce on your own. I’lle-Bonaventure-et-du-Rocher-Perce National Park is an enchanting site, sculpted by time and the sea at the tip of the Gaspe Peninsula. The park was created to protect the large migratory bird sanctuary, as well as nearby Perce Rock.

This rocky bastion is a prolongation of the Appalachian Mountains extending into the waters of the Gulf of the St. Lawrence and has for its fortress Bonaventure Island and Perce Rock. Bonaventure Island is home to approximately 200,000 sea birds, including the island’s large colony of 120,000 northern gannets.

Perce Rock, one of the world’s largest and most spectacular natural arches. It is a mass of rock and limestone over 1,400 feet /433 meters long and over 288 feet/88 meters at its highest point. The rock is a nesting place for cormorants, kittiwakes and seagulls.

Note: At Perce, walking is at guest’s discretion on mainly flat surfaces. At the marina, must be able to walk approximately .06 of a mile/92 meters from the tender dock and manage a flight of stairs.

5 hours, $129

Edited by pizzalady1

Mmmmm.... The plot thickens!

I also note our description is the only one which mentions many types of bird other than gannets. We may not see them of course, (and no promises will be given), but as we are visiting in early June, I think this is the nesting season, so we may well get lucky. How near we will be to any bird colonies is another matter, but we reckon it will be worth taking a pair of binoculars each for that cruise.

Conversely I am sure the other cruise companies will say their prices are higher because it is high season. There are only about 800 passengers on our ship, so they will need to offer something at a price that has some appeal or they will not get enough interest in the tour to make it viable. Very few Brits would want to hire a car for the day on a cruise stop in North America though, so it could be a very popular trip.

Edited by tring

Mmmmm.... The plot thickens!

I also note our description is the only one which mentions many types of bird other than gannets. We may not see them of course, (and no promises will be given), but as we are visiting in early June, I think this is the nesting season, so we may well get lucky. How near we will be to any bird colonies is another matter, but we reckon it will be worth taking a pair of binoculars each for that cruise.

What other birds are mentioned in your description? Puffins? I really want to see puffins on this cruise but I can't convince my mother to do it in Sydney. If we can see both Perce Rock and puffins on this excursion that would be awesome! We'll be there about 3 weeks before you so that may be too early, although they're supposed to be around in Sydney which we see before Gaspe.

Sorry, didn't see your posting of your tour until after I posted the above. The HAL tour is also 5 hours. Interesting that NCL is more expensive than the others. I guess the cruise lines will charge what they think people will pay.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Alberta Quilter -

It was mainly puffins I was thinking about. I found a British website saying they are in the breeding sites from March/April to mid Aug, but I think we have been somewhere (poss Iceland) and we were told most were gone before that - but I am not sure. There are different species as well as just different habitats and I am no ornithologist so cannot say. Spring seems to be later in Sydney than over here, yet it is not so late in Quebec, so maybe Gaspe will be between the two. We are booked on a trip to Louisberg from Sydney on the 31st May.

I have seen puffins about 1970, (quite close up), from a cliff edge on the north coast of Scotland and that would have been June/July time. They are such small birds, we saw some from a cruise ship anchored At St. Kilder (to the NW of the UK) a few years ago, but they just looked like dots by eye. We had a really good wildlife guide on that cruise (Swan Hellenic) and he pointed out 'rafts' of pufins in the water - basically they just seem to sit on the water in large groups - so if you see something like that, it is time to focus in. So it is 'take a pair of binoculars and keep our fingers crossed' from our point of view. The puffin watching trips in Reykjavik use a flat bottomed boat, so it can get close to land, but they are not so good in choppy conditions of course, so it did not appeal last time we were in Iceland because sea conditions were not good.

The one port I am having trouble getting feedback from is Havres St Pierre (even if I search threads etc.) as it seems to be so rarely visited. I will have to put something on here about it when I get back.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you do,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Here's a puffin for you from SeaLife Aquarium in Seward AK.

Thank for that - it looks very different in the water to other pictures of puffins.

Glad we booked the ship's tour to Perce and the boat trip, having read Tom's port guide which was posted by maryann earlier! Thanks for that link maryann. I had missed that guide, or perhaps it was not published when I was looking at them previously.

Maryann - you may remember me asking about Louisberg and the sea mists near Sydney on TA. Our ship's tour, (which we have booked), is scheduled for the afternoon, so hopefully any mist will have reduced, even if it is still lurking around a bit. Thanks again for all the help you have given me.

Barbara

Edited by tring

Thanks for the info on the puffins, ladies! I do believe the Alaskan puffins are a little different than the Atlantic ones that we'll see around Sydney and Gaspe. I think, but don't know for sure, that the Atlantic puffins have a more colourful bill. Good advice about the binoculars; I keep them in my carryon so I won't forget them.

Barbara, did you check out the rest of Tom's port guides? There are several for the various Canadian ports. I also googled Havre Saint Pierre; I know nothing about it but I did find this website:http://www.cruisesaintlawrence.com/EN/stopovers/passengers/8/Havre-Saint-Pierre.aspx

Hopefully, you had already found it on your own but, just in case, I thought I should post it. Please do post about it upon your return. It looks like there are a few ships stopping there this season.

I think I have been into that page and used it to look up our port times, but do not think I scrolled down to see the writing there, so thanks.

We have decided to do a boat trip to I'lle Niapiskau, which I think may have more monoliths and possibly othere geological features and plants to see and learn about- but I am not sure about that. This is a 45 minute boat ride each way and a short walk is taken on the island.

The alternative would have been Petite Ile au Marteau, where there is a lighthouse and where the guide talks about 'tales of the coast'. This trip would only be a 20 mins crossing each way and we would have longer on that island, but I am unclear just what there is to see on this island.

Some feedback from people who have done this tour would have been more reassuring as we are wondering about average sea conditions etc, but it is obviously a little visited port at present. I could not turn up much on TA either, so a ship's tour sounds a good idea to us.

I have found a parks Canada site which has a map of the islands, etc., but not a lot of detail about the individual islands.

Cheers,

Barbara

Back to my original post . . . I just want to thank all of you so much for your advice and excellent information. I'm reconsidering a car rental now. If all of these cruise lines offer the Perce excursion around the rock, then I expect Crystal will too. Unfortunately, I expect it will be at a price that's even higher! Loved reading about the Puffins, too, although I'm not sure if I'll see much more than the Gannets in October. The natural scenery looks so magnificent that I don't think it much matters what specifically we see - it will all be fantastic! Our trip isn't until October 2016, so I'm looking forward to feedback from all of you when you return from your 2015 adventures!

Thanks again,

Shelley

Back to my original post . . . I just want to thank all of you so much for your advice and excellent information. I'm reconsidering a car rental now. If all of these cruise lines offer the Perce excursion around the rock, then I expect Crystal will too. Unfortunately, I expect it will be at a price that's even higher! Loved reading about the Puffins, too, although I'm not sure if I'll see much more than the Gannets in October. The natural scenery looks so magnificent that I don't think it much matters what specifically we see - it will all be fantastic! Our trip isn't until October 2016, so I'm looking forward to feedback from all of you when you return from your 2015 adventures!

Thanks again,

Shelley

I am planning to do a Live From report on the cruise so you could follow along and ask questions as the trip progresses. Just watch the HAL forum starting TWO WEEKS from today!!! I'm not hardly excited.:rolleyes:

I am planning to do a Live From report on the cruise so you could follow along and ask questions as the trip progresses. Just watch the HAL forum starting TWO WEEKS from today!!! I'm not hardly excited.:rolleyes:

Wow, that is great. I'll be waiting to read it.