Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour vs Kantishna Experience Tour

tests4u

Neither. I would choose a shuttle bus over a tour.

The shuttles are 1/3 the cost and make the same stops for bathroom breaks and for wildlife sightings.

The Eielson shuttle actually goes further into the park than the TWT but costs $35 instead of $125. The Eielson Visitor Center is at mile66 whereas the TWT only goes to mile 53, sometimes to mile 62 if the mtn is visible. And the Visitor Center is an interesting destination in itself ...exhibits, great views, rangers, hikes, water, and a bus dispatcher who can arrange your ride back if you choose to stay longer and catch a later bus.

The Tour drivers have a narration that they provide. I've always had great shuttle drivers who provided lots of info about history, geology wildlife etc.

With the Shuttle you need to provide your own meal and drink and you need to make your own arrangements to get to the Park if you don't have a car.

Detailed information about the Shuttle trips and Tours are in this link:

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

For info on hikes, trails, ranger activities, sled dogs, etc, read thru the Park Newsletter.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/upload/Alpenglow2014_int.pdf

Edited by mapleleaves
alpenglow

Are you there independent? I am also a strong advocate for using the bargain priced shuttles into Denali. For Kantishna- overnights are superior so to be able to participate in the lodge activities. There is a positive review about the Kantishna experience, but the meal is time consuming and adds to the already significant cost.

I find far more limits to the TWT for "Denali". Not getting to Eielson is one. There is some convenience of the the video camera, snack, and lodge pick ups and are worth it for some.

There are good descriptions of all the buses in Denali Park http://www.reservedenali.com

and maps http://www.nps.gov/dena

We did the Tundra Wilderness Tour (included in our HAL cruisetour). The bus ride was a full 8 hours. Two of our party had had enough of the bus ride after about 2 hours, asked the driver if they could leave the tour. They stayed at the rest stop and waited for a shuttle to take them back to the entrance. My husband and I continued on, returning at approximately 11:00 pm. We were totally exhausted.

I could not imagine riding on the bus for 11 hours to go on to Kantishna. Maybe the overnight would be okay to make the return trip the next day.

Once you have searched and know the parameters of each tour, only you can decide what is best for you.

On the Eielson shuttle -- how long does the shuttle stop at the visitors center?

About 45 minutes.

If you don't return on your same bus. There is a dispatcher, that you place your name on a list. and the dispatcher loads you depending on space. you can also purchase Wonder Lake upgrades- if available.

My personal opinion is the farther you can get into the park, the more you will see. Many of the bear sightings are far from eilson visitor. lantis ha can also be arranged on a long tour...12 hrs or so RT. Through the Doyen Corporation. Again it is a bus...but a might bit better...and you will see some incredible sights...but it is a long day. You get lunch and can either go gold panning, listen about dog sledding or a short hike while at the lodge...you also have an option to fly back...just another choice, but if you are coming in late July or August, there are more bears in the blueberry bushes than you can imagine. One day I counted 35... And yes, I do go there often, but that is the most I have ever seen...but all near Kantisha...

My personal opinion is the farther you can get into the park, the more you will see. Many of the bear sightings are far from eilson visitor. lantis ha can also be arranged on a long tour...12 hrs or so RT. Through the Doyen Corporation. Again it is a bus...but a might bit better...and you will see some incredible sights...but it is a long day. You get lunch and can either go gold panning, listen about dog sledding or a short hike while at the lodge...you also have an option to fly back...just another choice, but if you are coming in late July or August, there are more bears in the blueberry bushes than you can imagine. One day I counted 35... And yes, I do go there often, but that is the most I have ever seen...but all near Kantisha...

I saw a lot of bears and other wildlife last summer between Eielson and Kantishna, despite many posts on this forum about wildlife dropping off after Eielson.

• 3 weeks later...
I highly recommend the KET. It was important to us to go the full length of the road. This was a highlight of our trip. Actually, it's hard for me to say which was more fun - dogsledding in Juneau vs KET in Denali.:)

My review from 2012: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683604&highlight=kantishna.

Thanks for your review of the KET on the other thread. We've got the TWT included in our itinerary - do you know when we can ask Princess to change us to the KET? We are not going until 2016.

Thanks.

Thanks for your review of the KET on the other thread. We've got the TWT included in our itinerary - do you know when we can ask Princess to change us to the KET? We are not going until 2016.

Thanks.

I asked at the time we booked, but that was only 4 months or so out. We used a TA and they were not familiar with this option at all. They got on the phone with Princess while I sat in the office and made all the arrangements for me. Very easy once on the phone. If you booked direct, I would call Princess.

I've never booked a cruise that far in advance, but are you able to book shore excursions yet? Maybe you have to wait until then.:confused:

Have a great trip!:)

I asked at the time we booked, but that was only 4 months or so out. We used a TA and they were not familiar with this option at all. They got on the phone with Princess while I sat in the office and made all the arrangements for me. Very easy once on the phone. If you booked direct, I would call Princess.

I've never booked a cruise that far in advance, but are you able to book shore excursions yet? Maybe you have to wait until then.:confused:

Have a great trip!:)

Our TA has been told by Princess that we can't book the tour until 36 days before we go which we thought was strange :confused: It's so long since we've sailed with Princess, we can't remember when we are able to book shore excursions so will look into that.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will be great.

Our TA has been told by Princess that we can't book the tour until 36 days before we go which we thought was strange :confused: It's so long since we've sailed with Princess, we can't remember when we are able to book shore excursions so will look into that.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will be great.

36 days? That can't be right. The reason I mentioned shore excursions is because I remember the KET being listed there with the price. It would seem to me that if you could book it from there, then it should also be available for your upgrade. You should be charged the difference in the price between the included tour and the KET.