Fly or coach from Scotland

kiltyjock

Hi

we are booked on the coach from Glasgow for our Baltic cruise on Aurora in July.

The more I think about it the more I would prefer to Fly down and get luggage couriered, direct to ship.

Hopefully this would be less stressful than a long coach journey starting at midnight from Glasgow. As this is a special occasion Cruise (oh) 60th I dont mind spending a bit extra to make sure it is memorable for all the right reasons.

Any thoughts or experiences would be gratefully received.

Thank

KJ

We live in the North East of England and have over the years have tried driving,train and coach.

Have found the easiest and most comfortable way;

Large suitcases collected by the Baggage Handling Company.

Quick Flybe flight to Southampton the day before

After the cruise, Eavesway coach home.

Have a lovely cruise.

Hi

we are booked on the coach from Glasgow for our Baltic cruise on Aurora in July.

The more I think about it the more I would prefer to Fly down and get luggage couriered, direct to ship.

KJ

We've made the journey no less than 14 times each way.

There are many ways to do this journey, and we've tried them all.

Flying on the day of departure is a bit risky as there is only one Fly Maybe flight in the morning, and if this is cancelled you've got a problem.

Our preferred method is the overnight sleeper to Euston where we get collected by car for the 2 hour drive to Soton. This is pretty risk free and quite an enjoyable start to the holiday.

We use TMR Executive Cars. They charge £140 each way which works out cheaper than 1st Class train tickets. Smithsforairports will do it cheaper but with standard saloon cars and less luggage space.

We do the same on the return but take the train around 12:30 pm. The trains during the day only take four and a half hours. At 60 you can get a Senior Railcard giving you a third off.

Good luck

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

Kiltyjock

FLY !! its much easier as you are both coming down from Scotland

I`ve flown to Edinburgh and Glasgow after cruises and the flights only an hour

Its actually quicker to fly from Southampton to Edinburgh/Glasgow then it is for me to get back home to Staffordshire !!

I get the train down to Southampton the day before and stay in the Premier Inn

I once saw a bus load of Glasgow passengers at the bus park at Knutsford services. Many in pj's. They didn't look in good shape at all.

Not the way I would want to start a cruise.

David.

Hi

Hopefully this would be less stressful than a long coach journey starting at midnight from Glasgow. As this is a special occasion Cruise (oh) 60th I dont mind spending a bit extra to make sure it is memorable for all the right reasons.

The Eavesway coaches normally start out at about 0400 and are spacious and comfortable.

If flying I would be inclined to fly down the evening before and stay in a hotel. While the GLA-SOU service is reasonably reliable it can still get messed up by winds or fog at SOU. So having the extra contingency is a good peace of mind thing.

If you're not taking your luggage because it's been sent separately the train becomes more attractive. It can be done with an early start on the day (0430 train - which will pass the Eavesway bus somewhere near Carlisle) and then a transfer at between stations in London. Alternatively the sleeper is another option and the sleeper services are being revamped as they have a new operator. ISTR that there is a slow Cross Country train that goes to Southampton from Scotland - that might be an option if travelling down the day before.

Not sure what bus service Balf is refering too but it sounds more like a Megabus sleeper service than one of the cruise connection services from Intercruise or Eavesway.

Just thought I would look at the trains from Edinburgh to Southampton

Leaving Edinburgh at 06.50 am, change at Wolverhampton at 10.30am, arrive Southampton at 13.40, so no changing in London

return

Leave Southampton at 11.147, arrive Edinburgh at 18.20, changing at Birmingham intl, so again no London changes.

price for 2 people was £401.40, this was singles down and up, no changes, in advance.

if you booked return tickets...£320 for 2 adults, this is without any railcards , which would obviously make it cheaper.

Slightly quicker return journeys, but more changes (2/3)

I think I would prefer a luxury coach transfer rather than the hassle associated with flying since I am really starting to hate airports, delayed or cancelled flights and the evermore invasive airport security (despite appreciating that it is needed). By the time you factor in check in times, clearing security etc it probably does not save that much time, especially if you have to leave a day early for peace of mind.

Train fares very much depend on when they are booked. If you choose a July date now you will pay top prices, wait until May and the cheaper fares will be available.

It may actually be cheaper to go via London as Virgin East and West coast have more services, more seats to fill so more cheaper fares per service.

I hate London. Would do anything to avoid having to do cross London transfers. We used to travel there quite a lot and have done tube/taxi...all stressful.

We have done one trip to Southampton in the past. Up to Banbury, change platform, then straight down to Southampton. A lot lot less stress.

I'll just add my little but even though you sound like you've made your decision. We always go down by train on one of two routes:

1. Book tickets Edinburgh to Newcastle then Newcastle to Southampton (no changes) on Cross Country. The reason we book it in two legs is so we can have a bit more of a cushion in case the train is late getting into Newcastle so leave Edinburgh on the 09.30 arriving Newcastle 11.00 then leaving again 11.35This train arrive Soton around 5:15 and usually costs us £100 booking 12 weeks in advance and using a railcard.

Option 2 which we find just as easy, believe it or not, is Edinburgh to London, tube St Pancras to Waterloo with only one change and no steps and on to Southampton. We usually pay £61 and this is exactly what they are next time we go down in May We also send our cases on by the Baggage Handling Company.

Whichever train we take, we stay overnight at Premier Inn West Quay because we just find that we start to relax as soon as we reach Southampton and can have a leisurely evening and morning. On the way home we take the Eavesway coach which is waiting right on the quayside and which arrives Glasgow about 7:00p.m. We've taken the coach down a couple of times but to be honest it just didn't work for us. We either had to leave our house at 2:15 a.m for our taxi to Glasgow or book an hotel near Buchanan Street Bus Station. This still meant we had to get up just after 2. We couldn't sleep on the coach so we then felt it wasted the first few days of the cruise as we were constantly tired after losing a night's sleep. We're not as young as we used to be but we're still pretty fit and active and want to start enjoying the cruise as soon as we get on

Good luck whatever you do.

Edited by tartanexile81

We prefer to fly rather than coach. We did the coach once and whilst it is comfortable, we need to stay overnight in Glasgow (at the Holiday Inn beside the Bus station). Its hardly worth it though as its such an early start. Coming home dragged on forever, but that was maybe because the holiday was over. We then have another train journey from Glasgow on top.

There are more flights to and from Southampton now (4 a day) to Glasgow and Edinburgh than there were a few years ago. We would always fly the night before though, if you are arranging your own flights, rather than risk a cancellation in the morning. It isn't known as Fly may Be by accident! We are more convenient for Edinburgh airport than Glasgow but were on a flight home at about 12 which was great. We did self disembark and then a taxi to the airport.

We had looked at getting the train and noticed the direct, but slow, train from Newcastle to Southampton with Cross Country, First Class tickets from Edinburgh were £65 each booked 12 weeks ahead. The trains via London were more expensive and there is always the risk of missing a connection if you need to change. Cross Country aren't as nice as East Coast or Virgin but less connections are sometimes better. There is also a new railcard (Two Together)where 2 named adults can get a third off if they travel together which is great if you are under 60.

I would always fly now. If you book the flights early enough they can be similar prices to the train.

Leave Southampton at 11.147, arrive Edinburgh at 18.20, changing at Birmingham intl, so again no London changes.

price for 2 people was £401.40, this was singles down and up, no changes, in advance. QUOTE]

We book 12 weeks in advance and pay nothing like that. If you were to buy tickets a short time in advance you'd certainly have to pay top dollar

Train fares very much depend on when they are booked. If you choose a July date now you will pay top prices, wait until May and the cheaper fares will be available.

It may actually be cheaper to go via London as Virgin East and West coast have more services, more seats to fill so more cheaper fares per service.

The cheapest tickets always come out 12 weeks in advance and currently on the Cross Country website you can get a ticket for £48.50 which is Edinburgh to Durham, Durham to Southampton without any railcards. This is what I'd expect to pay. To get the cheapest prices you have to keep an eye on the train operators' websites.

I've been on two cruises and flown twice looked at coach/train with railcard and not that much difference in price.

!.5 hours flight from Glasgow worth it and if your worried about delays why not fly down the night before?

Train station connected to airport and only takes 9 mins to central Southampton.