Kids and Passports

mygoalie35

We are leaving next month on a closed loop cruise from Boston to Bermuda. Started passport paperwork 3 months ago for my 4 year old, but they keep sending back for 1 reason or another (photo taken at post office was incorrect, custody paperwork did not have raised seal, etc).

We have called the cruise line and they will allow him on board with a certified copy of his birth certificate.

My question is will he be able to enter and leave Bermuda with this? I have searched around and most other threads are several years old. With changing times, I'd like to get the most up-to-date information. Searching the government websites is a confusing nightmare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the official answer from CBP:

Traveling by Sea

How will the new requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship(referred to as a “closed loop” cruise), may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Since you don't state your cruiseline I would check with them if they require a passport per their rules over and above CBP.

Here's the official answer from CBP:

Traveling by Sea

How will the new requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship(referred to as a “closed loop” cruise), may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Since you don't state your cruiseline I would check with them if they require a passport per their rules over and above CBP.

Thank you. We are sailing HAL from Boston. They are telling us birth certificate to board ship. But that does not tell us if they can enter Bermuda. Hate to spend 4 days in port and have him not be able to go to the beaches. Next step seems to be adding a photo id for him.

Thank you. We are sailing HAL from Boston. They are telling us birth certificate to board ship. But that does not tell us if they can enter Bermuda. Hate to spend 4 days in port and have him not be able to go to the beaches. Next step seems to be adding a photo id for him.

No problem whatsoever.:)

Whether you get off the ship or not, you will legally enter the country or countries where it stops. Therefore, the ship will not let anyone board without the proper documentation for the destination(s) visited.

We have traveled with grandchildren who only had their birth certificates and they were allowed to go ashore in Bermuda. We even had one child, age 15, traveling with us who was not related to any of us and he was able to get off and on the ship in Bermuda. We never even bring our passports with us ashore because you can use a driver's license and your ship card to get back on the ship. Under age 15 children, do not need picture ID.

. But that does not tell us if they can enter Bermuda.

They wouldn't let you/him board. There is no such thing as getting on the ship w/o proper documentation and just not getting off in a port.

Based on HAL's website you should be fine

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Passports,+Visas+%26+Vaccinations&WT.ac=pnav_FBG_EssentialDocs

Children: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 traveling on a closed-loop cruise (a cruise in the Western Hemisphere which originates and ends in the same U.S. port) will be able to present their government issued birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card to sail. Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy or certified original.

It is recommended that all minors have their own passport if traveling with only one adult to ensure they can all stay together if there is an emergency and they have to disembark early to fly home (including on Closed Loop voyages).

NOTE: If you are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with you, you must present an original letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents. The letter from the child’s parent must provide contact information and authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise.

We did this last year to Bermuda with granddaughters withonly birth certificate & custody papers. No problem at all. One of them even had a different last name than ours .

Edited by cheggy

If you are worried about your documentation the only place to get the correct information would be from the Bermudian government.

The cruise lines have the correct information on their websites. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to stay in business because they would have to refuse to allow passengers to take the cruises that are booked and paid for.

When you contact the government you run the risk of getting an incorrect answer from someone who doesn't know that the rules for cruise passengers may be different than the rules for airline passengers, as they are in Bermuda for US citizens. I've also seen websites of numerous countries that didn't have the correct information if there is an exception in place for cruise passengers.

Edited by njhorseman

The cruise lines have the correct information on their websites. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to stay in business because they would have to refuse to allow passengers to take the cruises that are booked and paid for.

When you contact the government you run the risk of getting an incorrect answer from someone who doesn't know that the rules for cruise passengers may be different than the rules for airline passengers, as they are in Bermuda for US citizens. I've also seen websites of numerous countries that didn't have the correct information if there is an exception in place for cruise passengers.

No, the cruise lines do not always have the correct information. You can search many travel blogs and consumer sites to find instances where travelers run into trouble when trusting a site or person other than a government official.

No, the cruise lines do not always have the correct information. You can search many travel blogs and consumer sites to find instances where travelers run into trouble when trusting a site or person other than a government official.

Please provide an example of the cruise lines providing incorrect information on their website. I want a link to the page and I want a link to an official government page that proves the cruise line is wrong (in a way that would cause someone to not be able to cruise because they were incorrectly advised by the cruise line's website).

I don't want to read what someone said on a blog, I don't want to hear what someone said they were told in a telephone conversation...I want direct evidence of a mistake on a cruise line's official website.

By the way, I used to own a travel agency...this is a topic that I'm very, very familiar with.

I've quoted the correct info from CBP in regards to cruising and the WHTI and I've also quoted from HAL's website ….

I know that phone reps often are known to give incorrect info and/or folks interpret things the way they want to hear it….

Please provide an example of the cruise lines providing incorrect information on their website. I want a link to the page and I want a link to an official government page that proves the cruise line is wrong (in a way that would cause someone to not be able to cruise because they were incorrectly advised by the cruise line's website).

I don't want to read what someone said on a blog, I don't want to hear what someone said they were told in a telephone conversation...I want direct evidence of a mistake on a cruise line's official website.

By the way, I used to own a travel agency...this is a topic that I'm very, very familiar with.

Since nothing will convince you I will not try. If you believe that a better source of information for entering a country is a private business and not the government then there is nothing I can say.

I don't care that owned a travel agency.

Thank you all for the input. After calls to HAL and the Consulate in Bermuda we have been told certified birth certificate and government issued photo id.

All set and well prepared so we should have no problems.

Just over 3 weeks left. Can't wait.

Since nothing will convince you I will not try. If you believe that a better source of information for entering a country is a private business and not the government then there is nothing I can say.

I don't care that owned a travel agency.

Provide the links he asked for and he'll be convinced.:D