Does RCCL have baked alaska on the menu?

My husband and I were on the Brilliance or the Seas last February and web were never served it or even seen it on the menu. I have always wanted to try it so I am hoping on the carnival or princess cruises we r doing this December they will serve it. Whether they serve it or not have a great trip.

Vanessa & Rick

wat is baked alaska?

Basically, it is a thin sponge cake, topped with a brick of ice cream, flavors may vary, covered with a thick meringue, frozen solid for eight hours or so, and then baked quickly in a very hot oven to brown the meringue prior to serving.

For show, some will put a little booze on top and light it prior to serving. Very good when done properly.

I miss alot of the traditions. Why can't they light the Baked Alaska...they light the Cherries Jubilee ? Also, many birthday cakes.

I also miss islanders diving for quarters from the ship....obviously that's not possible. What a different world from the 70's ! What do you miss ?

Princess does the baked alaska on the 2nd formal nignt on the 10 day cruises but only in the traditional dining room, since I do personal choice I haven't seen the "parade of baked alaska" in awhile..or had it for dessert.

Does anyone know if they serve it on the 5 night Empress trips:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

first time on RCCL...always sailed HAL...they have a "parade" of baked Alaska (sparklers inserted)...it's fun and a tradition. I think the crew get a big kick out of it...they really seem to enjoy the tradition. It's an interesting (and yummy) tradition...so if they do have it...ENJOY!!!

Basically, it is a thin sponge cake, topped with a brick of ice cream, flavors may vary, covered with a thick meringue, frozen solid for eight hours or so, and then baked quickly in a very hot oven to brown the meringue prior to serving.

For show, some will put a little booze on top and light it prior to serving. Very good when done properly.

usually is, I agree, sponge cake topped & sided also, but to be traditional, only with vanilla ice cream and can be chilled after applying the well beaten stiff peaked meringue instead of frozen. I have even done it without even chilling if I am serving it immediately. It is usually frozen if not to be served quickly after removal from the oven. A very hot oven and quickly into the oven and out & then served is the best.. I have had requests for colored sprinkles over the top and that is very pretty - multi colors look like flowers with peaks of brown looking like tiny rocks in the 'snowy' meringue. I have even shaped them like boats with funnels, etc. (extra cake & ice cream) & I bake them on a wooden paddle. Have made this dish countless times when I had my catering business and the most fun was pouring a wee bit of brandy or rum over the top & presenting it flamed. Have to admit the booze, after burning off the alcohol, did improve the flavor if that was possible mostly by countering the sweetness.. Shame most will never again experience this when dining out..although as 'ESTJ' stated - HAL has the tradition of one parade w/ Baked Alaskas & sparklers at the end of every cruise and it is available every evening in the Pinnacle Grill (alternative restaurant) as a dessert choice. The cherries jubilee usually served with it is not part of it normally but a nice addition by HALs chefs - the flavors & colors compliment each other...!

Hope u all get to try this wonderful dessert, that is also easy to make, at least once.

Happy cruisin'!

I have always wanted to try it so I am hoping on the carnival or princess cruises we r doing this December they will serve it. Whether they serve it or not have a great trip.

Vanessa & Rick

Soon to go on our 1st RCI cruise, so can't say whether they have it or not. But I wanted to post and say that it was served on our Carnival cruise last August, minus the parade and flames. We found it to be nice & tasty, although not "to die for". Glad to have experienced it, as it seems to be an old cruise tradition.

usually is, I agree, sponge cake topped & sided also, but to be traditional, only with vanilla ice cream and can be chilled after applying the well beaten stiff peaked meringue instead of frozen. I have even done it without even chilling if I am serving it immediately. It is usually frozen if not to be served quickly after removal from the oven. A very hot oven and quickly into the oven and out & then served is the best.. I have had requests for colored sprinkles over the top and that is very pretty - multi colors look like flowers with peaks of brown looking like tiny rocks in the 'snowy' meringue. I have even shaped them like boats with funnels, etc. (extra cake & ice cream) & I bake them on a wooden paddle. Have made this dish countless times when I had my catering business and the most fun was pouring a wee bit of brandy or rum over the top & presenting it flamed. Have to admit the booze, after burning off the alcohol, did improve the flavor if that was possible mostly by countering the sweetness.. Shame most will never again experience this when dining out..although as 'ESTJ' stated - HAL has the tradition of one parade w/ Baked Alaskas & sparklers at the end of every cruise and it is available every evening in the Pinnacle Grill (alternative restaurant) as a dessert choice. The cherries jubilee usually served with it is not part of it normally but a nice addition by HALs chefs - the flavors & colors compliment each other...!

Hope u all get to try this wonderful dessert, that is also easy to make, at least once.

Happy cruisin'!

OK, you got me. Where do you live? Don't worry, I can only stay a month or two.

The origin comes from the 17th century when it was wrapped in a pastry shell. I said vary flavors of ice cream because the best I ever had was made with blackberry ice cream and flamed with rum. Traditionally vanilla, but there are variations that are regional using a popular local flavor.

Unfortunately today's society and the perceived need to sue everyone for any reason has done away with a lot of the traditions. But also unfortunately a rocking ship and open flame is a disaster waiting to happen. On our Legend sailing in 1999, they were still doing the flaming baked Alaska parade and flamed Cherries Jubilee at your table (not at the out of the way side tables they use now). One of the head waiters knocked over the bottle of rum and it splashed on a passenger and the flame chased the alcohol and severely melted her shirt. Her husband jumped up and threw his jacket over her. Both were evacuated for medical assistance and flown home to a burn center. It was absolutely aweful. Since then, RCCL has significantly cut back on the flaming drama during dinner. I was surprised the past May however, when we sailed the Celebrity Horizon and they were still doing tableside flaming coffee drinks.

i miss the baked alaska parades where some of the waiters balanced flaming ones on their heads. i don't miss eating them, though. toooooo sweet.

i really miss having the waiters sing God Bless America like they used to do. they all

looked so sincere and were so pleased to do it.

now the waiters seem to dance and invite happy cruisers (mostly women) to dance

with them. that's fun to watch, but i'm too old to be tempted.

as the waiters dance down the stairs, some with the plate on their heads, to the applause of the diners.

Probably the reason for no more tableside flaming deserts was our Princess cruise on the Dawn in Alaska when the Matre D trying to impress folks did Cherries Jubilee and went overboard with the booze & shot a flame ceiling high & the folks applauded him but then the sprinklers went on the the smoke alarm sounded & the bridge got FIRE from the dining room. We were quite soaked but it was funny and quite different & we laughed about it to this day. Lucky for him it was casual night.

i miss the baked alaska parades where some of the waiters balanced flaming ones on their heads. i don't miss eating them, though. toooooo sweet.

i really miss having the waiters sing God Bless America like they used to do. they all

looked so sincere and were so pleased to do it.

now the waiters seem to dance and invite happy cruisers (mostly women) to dance

with them. that's fun to watch, but i'm too old to be tempted.

Happy cruisin'!

Sounds great!

OK, you got me. Where do you live? Don't worry, I can only stay a month or two.

The origin comes from the 17th century when it was wrapped in a pastry shell. I said vary flavors of ice cream because the best I ever had was made with blackberry ice cream and flamed with rum. Traditionally vanilla, but there are variations that are regional using a popular local flavor.

Giggle - am in Victoria, BC Canada and since I luv to cook wld welcome u but not sure my 'hubby' wld understand...!

Never knew the origins of this dessert and oh yah...those flavors sound wonderful. I haven't tried them but shall. I have used neopolitan ice cream and have drizzled semi sweet chocolate over the meringue. That is gorgeous and so yummy...Hope u get some soon &

Happy cruisin' as if it cld be anything else...!

We were on an Alaskan cruise on Vision of the Seas in late May. We had baked Alaska, but they weren't allowed to light it. It just tasted like cake and ice cream to me. I resolved to find a "real" one on the land tour, but never had the opportunity.

Also, their chocolate creme brulee was more like chocolate pudding--not at all yummy like DH makes it. I figured the Baked Alaska was just another one of their own versions that didn't quite resemble the usual way of making it. :D

Archived