Carlo's Bakery Cake Decorating Class

MandyMommyof2

Looking to see if anyone has participated in the Carlo's Cake Decorating Class. I seen this on a daily someone had posted. I wanted to see about making reservations if I could, or is this on a walk up basis? My daughter and I think it would be so much fun! Thoughts from those who have done it? :)

I decorate cakes and I wanted to know if this was worth it too. $40 for the cupcake decorating class and $70 for the cake class seems kind of high. Here is a link that has more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025510

I can already make the cupcakes shown on the NCL flyer, so I would only be interested in the cake class. I'd love to see some of the students' work; I think that would help me decide.

One of my cupcakes:

IMG_2177.jpg.75736f1acdd4e218d85e8b6909d49fc3.jpg

We were hoping to do this on the Jewel in February, but were told that it is only available on the Getaway and the Breakaway, the ships that have the full Carlo's Bake Shops onboard. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

(We did, however, enjoy some Carlo's pasteries from the Atrium Cafe.) :D

I did this class with my daughter on the Getaway

We booked onboard the ship and there were not many places available. Some people turned up at the actual class time but were turned away.

You were given 4 cupcakes and all the icing and decorations on a turntable.

One of the ships chefs first demonstrated how to decorate one of the cupcakes and you then decorated your own in the same way. It was very fast moving and you really were not given much time to decorate your cupcake before the next demonstration was given. I did feel it was quite rushed.

You then took your plate of cupcakes and stood in front of a picture of Carlos and had your photo taken.

Your cupcakes were then boxed for you to take away. You were also given your souvenir apron.

We did have fun but it was fast moving and was over very quickly.

My 2 daughters each decorated a cake on the GA last year, so I paid twice, lol

They had a good time, but I thought it was expensive and it did not last that long. That being said, they had a good time, we enjoyed one the cakes (2 was too many for the 4 of us) and my younger daughter has her apron hung up on her door at home. I would not do it again, or if we ever did, I would make them share. However, I think they would be fine not doing it again, sort of a "bucket list" item, they would most likely not feel the need to do it again.

We did not sign up too much in advance, but it was still relatively new at the time, so I would most likely plan to sign up as soon as you could. I will try and get a picture of the apron on here, it's white with Carlo's logo across the front in red and black

2124084765_carlosapron.jpg.a4c36d7b884a8a309aed184f1a1ddbbf.jpg

I remembered hearing about these classes back when Breakaway first launched. I searched, and found this review with info/pics:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39791427&postcount=6

On that sailing, Buddy was actually there!

I don't know if they still do the cake decorating, but that was $70 instead of $40. If it works out schedule-wise, I would pay the $40 to do the class with my dd. We inquired about it when we were onboard last Feb, but had aleady missed it the morning of the first sea day (we inquired at around 11 am that morning).