Looking for information for Maasdam 14 night cruise to Alaska from Seattle 2016

SilverLining4Me

Am considering the 14 night cruise to Alaska (roundtrip out of Seattle) on the Massdam next year.

Here's the itinerary:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=A6L14S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=cruises,A&dateCode=5_2016&flexibleMonths=true&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=M655

Love that ports are not repeated and includes Hubbard Glacier which we have not been to before.

Any pros or cons on this itinerary or ship?

My concerns are the size of the ship (smaller than what we are use to) and the balcony cabins that open on to the promenade deck.

We want a balcony cabin or above (because of costs, balcony cabin I'm sure will be our choice).

Thanks for your help.

Edited by SilverLining4Me

We did this unique itinerary 2 times on the Amsterdam and loved it.

As for the Maasdam -- she is getting old. Last we sailed on her was in 2012 and she was in good shape then. We do have quite a few cruises on her. Not so sure we would sail on her again. I have read more good reports than bad ones about her.

We did this cruise a few years back also on the Amsterdam which is not that much bigger then the Maasdam. It is an awesome cruise to many ports cruise passengers normal don't get to. Think you will really enjoy Icy Straits saw lots of whales there and it is just a cool place with the wold's longest zip line. Its fun to sail into Anchorage, not a lot of ships can do that.

We have cruised Alaska eight times out of Vancouver, BC on both Princess and HAL, always b2b so we could have 14 day cruises. We have done this cruise out of Seattle on the Amsterdam twice. We have done other cruises on the Maasdam ten times.

Long story short, Alaska is our favorite cruise and the Beautiful and Elegant Maasdam is our favorite ship. I don't see how one can go wrong.

That said, providing my health holds up, we will most likely book this Alaska cruise on the Maasdam in 2016 as well.

Yes, the Maasdam is getting old, but this old gal still has plenty of snap in her garters.

Edited by BumperII

It's good to read positive comments about the Maasdam. We are looking forward to doing the 14 day Alaska cruise next year.

We enjoyed Icy Strait Point on a previous cruise. It's a beautiful port and, so far, unspoiled by tourism. We went on a whale watch/bear watch combo excursion and were not disappointed. We saw two brown bears catching salmon, but the best part was seeing so many whales!

Edited by JimAOk1945

This is a good itinerary -we did it on the Amsterdam and loved it. Personally, I would not get one of those cabins that open on the promenade deck but choose a balcony on deck 10 such as cabin 050 where you are just steps away from the Sea View Pool and deck area.

We did this unique itinerary 2 times on the Amsterdam and loved it.

As for the Maasdam -- she is getting old. Last we sailed on her was in 2012 and she was in good shape then. We do have quite a few cruises on her. Not so sure we would sail on her again. I have read more good reports than bad ones about her.

Thank you. The itinerary is what is catching our attention big time.

We did this cruise a few years back also on the Amsterdam which is not that much bigger then the Maasdam. It is an awesome cruise to many ports cruise passengers normal don't get to. Think you will really enjoy Icy Straits saw lots of whales there and it is just a cool place with the wold's longest zip line. Its fun to sail into Anchorage, not a lot of ships can do that.

Would be amazing to see lots of whales. We are thinking the first cruise in June 2016. Thank you.

Hi

I have done this cruize 3 times and love it. They have been on the Amsterdam. All the ports are great.

Mary

We've been to Alaska 3 times but never this far north. Thank you.

We have cruised Alaska eight times out of Vancouver' date=' BC on both Princess and HAL, always b2b so we could have 14 day cruises. We have done this cruise out of Seattle on the Amsterdam twice. We have done other cruises on the Maasdam ten times.

Long story short, Alaska is our favorite cruise and the Beautiful and Elegant Maasdam is our favorite ship. I don't see how one can go wrong.

That said, providing my health holds up, we will most likely book this Alaska cruise on the Maasdam in 2016 as well.

Yes, the Maasdam is getting old, but this old gal still has plenty of snap in her garters.

[/size']

Thank you for your input too. Good to hear it's your favorite ship. Read somewhere on CC that she is due for dry dock in Jan 2016. Do you know if that is correct?

It's good to read positive comments about the Maasdam. We are looking forward to doing the 14 day Alaska cruise next year.

We enjoyed Icy Strait Point on a previous cruise. It's a beautiful port and, so far, unspoiled by tourism. We went on a whale watch/bear watch combo excursion and were not disappointed. We saw two brown bears catching salmon, but the best part was seeing so many whales!

Thank you. It's been great reading about others taking this cruise too.

This is a good itinerary -we did it on the Amsterdam and loved it. Personally, I would not get one of those cabins that open on the promenade deck but choose a balcony on deck 10 such as cabin 050 where you are just steps away from the Sea View Pool and deck area.

Thank you. Although we would love to have one of the other balconies, it's just not in the budget when I have to calculate in airfare, hotels, spending money etc. If we do this itinerary it will be with booking one of the lanai cabins unless we win the lottery then it will be the SUITE life for certain. :D

We've cruised on Carnival, RCCL, Princess but never HAL. This would be our first cruise. 3 times to Alaska all on Princess.

We do have a Mariner #, are seniors. Anyone know of any specials that would apply? I didn't see any listed on the site.

What percentage is the normal deposit? Princess has been doing a 50% off deposit for future cruises recently.

Update: Just did the on-line chat with HAL rep. For the 14 night cruise Lanai cabin for June ($2699 + $402 tx/port chgs), they want a $1200 deposit. She said there are no specials at this time for this cruise.

Edited by SilverLining4Me

Update: Just did the on-line chat with HAL rep. For the 14 night cruise Lanai cabin for June ($2699 + $402 tx/port chgs), they want a $1200 deposit. She said there are no specials at this time for this cruise.

But keep in mind that if the price drops before final booking - you can most likely take advantage of the savings.

I have rebooked my August cruise already 3 times. Outside to inside to outside and I'm about to go back to an inside. Each time I've saved about $300pp. My original booking for Aug 2015 was in July 2014 for $2559pp for an outside. I'm now looking at about $1599 for an inside.

Yeah - I'd love a balcony. But they're still at over $4000pp. So I'll keep all that savings and do all the excursions we want.

But keep in mind that if the price drops before final booking - you can most likely take advantage of the savings.

I have rebooked my August cruise already 3 times. Outside to inside to outside and I'm about to go back to an inside. Each time I've saved about $300pp. My original booking for Aug 2015 was in July 2014 for $2559pp for an outside. I'm now looking at about $1599 for an inside.

Yeah - I'd love a balcony. But they're still at over $4000pp. So I'll keep all that savings and do all the excursions we want.

Good to know. I've been able to do that with Princess and Carnival in the past, so felt HAL would do the same.

We currently have a deposit on a Princess cruise for next summer to Alaska, but this one sure has caught our attention.

Hoping to get some feedback (from those that have taken this cruise) for the 14 night cruise to Alaska that is roundtrip out of Seattle.

I just came across the itinerary for this the other day and are looking at the possibility of booking it for some time in summer of 2016 on the Maasdam.

Itinerary for 2016 is here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=A6L14S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=cruises,A&dateCode=6_2016&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=M656

Pros - cons - reviews .... any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I posted a similar thread yesterday ... but wanted to gear this one to those that have taken this cruise before.

Thank you.

I'm sure that it is very clear to you what information you are seeking, but I don't have a clue what you want. It might be helpful if you would pose some specific questions.

For our first eight cruises to Alaska we booked nothing but inside cabins. We used the money we saved for shore excursions. In Alaska, some of the excursions are both fantastic and pricey. Now that we have done just about everything, we book the Vista suites, actually just a stateroom with a balcony. We use a highly reputable on line travel agency and use the same rep for every cruise. She books us in such a way that we occasionally get an upgrade or upsell offer. For us, there are no bad veranda suites on the Maasdam, so we just book the most economical and let the chips fall where they may.

There is no instant expertise, but there is a wealth of experience shared on this board. It is going to take a little while to figure out your own cruising style, and what works for you. The worst thing you could do is spend your hard earned money on accomodations that I like. It is going to take awhile to figure out what you like best.

Bon Voyage

I should add that if one of your bookings (or re-bookings) includes a promotion - such as OBC, drink package, etc. - you might loose that with the re-booking. But sometimes in the long run it will save you more...

I should add that if one of your bookings (or re-bookings) includes a promotion - such as OBC, drink package, etc. - you might loose that with the re-booking. But sometimes in the long run it will save you more...

Thank you.

Totally understand. We have a cruise booked for this summer that after booking the price lowered closed to $1,000 for the two of us. Even if we had lost the promotion (on-board credit and specialty dinner), it was worth having the booking changed. Luckily we didn't lose a thing plus got the $1,000 discount. A week later prices went even higher than we had originally booked.

It truly pays off to stay on top of the pricing/promotions.

Good morning,

We've done this itinerary 3 times and love it! If you are searching for reviews the ms Amsterdam is the ship that has done this itinerary in the past. We love this itinerary because of the variety of ports. Once you do Juneau and Ketchikan the ports are less touristy (if that makes sense).

Icy Strait Point (ISP) is newer and hasn't gone too commercial yet. Anchorage is wonderful because it doesn't get many cruise ships. The ships can't get into the port due to the shallow depth. The downside to Anchorage is that you are in a working port and can't walk out - you must take the shuttle. We've done the train excursion there as well as Portage Glacier and last time the Anchorage Flight museum. The shuttle takes you into town and you can wander from there if you like.

We love HOmer. We've done a few excursions there but our favorite is to just walk off the ship and circle the spit. My husband uses a mobility scooter and we put a lot of miles on it in Homer! Kodiak has some great excursions and you are docked close to town so it's in fairly easy walking distance if you are mobile.

One of our favorite ports is Sitka. It's larger but unspoiled. By ISP and Sitka are tender ports. Victoria is the last port and the advantage to this itinerary is that you are in by 1:00 PM or so and don't leave until close to midnight so you have tons of time to explore and there are lots of options. We live north of Seattle and have been to Victoria loads of times so we walk/scooter to town, take a gander at our favorite haunts, and relax a bit. There's a wonderful walkway from the ship all the way into town.

Next year this is on our list to do as long as I can keep DH healthy! Enjoy it!!

Karen

Good morning,

We've done this itinerary 3 times and love it! If you are searching for reviews the ms Amsterdam is the ship that has done this itinerary in the past. We love this itinerary because of the variety of ports. Once you do Juneau and Ketchikan the ports are less touristy (if that makes sense).

Icy Strait Point (ISP) is newer and hasn't gone too commercial yet. Anchorage is wonderful because it doesn't get many cruise ships. The ships can't get into the port due to the shallow depth. The downside to Anchorage is that you are in a working port and can't walk out - you must take the shuttle. We've done the train excursion there as well as Portage Glacier and last time the Anchorage Flight museum. The shuttle takes you into town and you can wander from there if you like.

We love HOmer. We've done a few excursions there but our favorite is to just walk off the ship and circle the spit. My husband uses a mobility scooter and we put a lot of miles on it in Homer! Kodiak has some great excursions and you are docked close to town so it's in fairly easy walking distance if you are mobile.

One of our favorite ports is Sitka. It's larger but unspoiled. By ISP and Sitka are tender ports. Victoria is the last port and the advantage to this itinerary is that you are in by 1:00 PM or so and don't leave until close to midnight so you have tons of time to explore and there are lots of options. We live north of Seattle and have been to Victoria loads of times so we walk/scooter to town, take a gander at our favorite haunts, and relax a bit. There's a wonderful walkway from the ship all the way into town.

Next year this is on our list to do as long as I can keep DH healthy! Enjoy it!!

Karen

Karen,

Thank you so much for this information. I can see if we do this itinerary I'm going to need the year ahead of me to research each port. Fortunately I love to do research and to cruise.

Have heard so many wonderful things about Sitka. Looking forward to that port for sure. Was thrilled that the itinerary covered 10 full hours in Victoria instead of the normal 4 we see on so many cruises. We absolutely love Victoria. So much to do and see there and the extra hours will be great.

I didn't know about the shuttle in Anchorage. Good to know.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with this itinerary.

Hoping your husband will stay healthy so you can book this cruise too for next year. Over the years we have had to cancel a couple of cruises because of health issues. So I truly understand.

Did this cruise twice on the Amsterdam.

I no longer do full reviews -- too many flamers around here. You say 25 good things in a review and have 1 negative and the flamers will jump all over that 1 negative.

Icy Straight Point -- Hoonah is the town you can walk to or take a shuttle bus. This is a great port for whale watching (as is Juneau).

Homer -- there are old school buses that are used for tours as well as taking you over to the Spit -- shops and a couple of restaurants.

Kodiak -- you have quite a walk to get to the small town. But there is a school bus that runs back and forth between the town and the ship.

You have a nice long day in Anchorage. As mentioned, you have to take a bus to get into town. By the information center you can book independent tours. The information center is just around the corner from where the shuttle bus drops you off at the Egan Center.

Sitka -- lovely little town -- tender port -- we have done the Sea Otter and Wild Life cruise a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it -- even saw some bears, whales and eagles.

Welcome to CC! We are doing this cruise this year so I can't comment on the non-standard ports except Sitka, which is a gem :)

Do some reading and research over on the Alaska forum, too. There are many knowledgeable posters there who are willing to help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Personally I see no "cons" to this itinerary, except the price :D

This is a great cruise. Although Ketchikan is full of shops, it is also THE place to see real totem poles and northwest coast art. Traveling out west to Kodiak is especially nice, cruising up Cook Inlet to Anchorage is beautiful with bonus volcanos. I think Hubbard Glacier is more interesting and spectacular than Glacier bay, you will be able to see 3 miles of of its 6 mile wide face; and see the gigantic Malaspina Glacier, it is so large it almost looks like a fog bank. Icy point cannery is a little touristy, but the nearby village of Hoonah is the most "real" place you will see. Of course Sitka is loaded with history, good opportunities to see wildlife and in a beautiful setting. Having a long day in Victoria is another bonus.

I got the impression that you do not want a cabin which opens onto the Promenade deck, but that is exactly what a Lanai cabin is.. :confused:

We really enjoyed the Lanai Cabins, as we also like meeting others & being out on the promenade deck.. We had our own dedicated chairs on the Promenade deck even though it was not private..We stayed in one on the Veendam to Bermuda.. Those cabins are smaller than a balcony, but we had no problems with storage as we only were on a 7 night cruise, but there is storage under the beds for a longer cruise... We also liked the fact that the Lanai's were less expensive than balcony cabins & we were able to see as much as those in balcony's..

Alaska is beautiful & you have received lots of help from those who have done the 14 night cruise..

We flew to Alaska & did our land tour first then picked up the Veendam in Seward & cruised to Vancouver..DH never wanted to go to Alaska, but felt sorry for me when I was recovering from a fall & told me to book it... I hobbled to the phone & two month later we were Alaska bound.. DH enjoyed it so much, he would like to go again..Maybe we will someday..

Hope you find what you want & have a lovely time..

BTW we've also been on the Maasdam & loved the ship..

Edited by serendipity1499

Great information everyone and GREATLY appreciated. Love all the details.

We have been on 12 cruises .. this is our first with HAL. 3 of them have been to Alaska (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway --- 1 to Glacier Bay, 1 to Misty Fjord, 1 to Tracy Arm). We have had inside, ocean view, balcony, and even a mini-suite for cabins along the way. Now we want a minimum of a balcony (that doesn't push the Lani cabins out of the running).

On our bucket list is Hubbard Glacier and this itinerary looks like a great way to see it and also get a 14 day cruise (which would be our longest) if my husband can get the time off from work.

I do realize the Lani balconies open onto the Lower Promenade deck. We have never had a cabin like this before and had some concerns about privacy. Didn't want to feel like we were in a fishbowl. Nice that chairs are reserved outside each lani cabin. Usually in the mornings I would get up first and get dressed. Then while hubby was taking a shower I would open the drapes, straighten things up a bit and get ready to face the day. With the lani cabin the only adjustment would be not opening the drapes until we were both dressed. Love having direct access to a balcony or the promenade deck. We spend LOTS of time out on deck taking photos and watching the world go by.

The regular balcony cabins are out of our price range for next year, but the lani ones would be doable.