Horizon Review 5/15, Norfolk to Bermuda

snjantnee

Now before I start my review, I am sure this is going to cause a alot of backlash among posters, but this is an honest review and my personal thoughts. Well here goes.....

My partner and I are both 36, middle class professionals from NJ. We drove to Norfolk on Friday, stayed at the Radisson Hotel Downtown, which was maybe 4 blocks from the dock and only one block from the Cedar Grove Parking lot, which Celebrity uses for passengers to park and offers shuttle service to the pier, with porters available. We arrived at the lot early, about 10:30 am, paid for parking (70.00) our bags and us were on the bus by 10:45. Now see below......

Embarkation-Arrived at the pier via shuttle at 11:00, went right to check in, which took all of about 10 minutes and was on the ship, by the pool at 11:15, with a glass of champange. This was truly amazing, very fast and efficient. We were told that cabins would be ready at 2:00 and at 2 anouncements were made to proceed to cabins.

Cabin-We were on Bermuda Deck, cabin #9034, outside cabin with an obstructed view. The cabin showed its age, but very clean, large bed, 2 huge closets, tons of drawer space. Bathroom was adequate, showing clear signs of age, shower had several rust spots, but again very clean. I have to say Carnival bathrooms were awesome. Very large shower, with unbelievable water pressure. (PLEASE DON'T HAVE A FIT, I MAY COMPARE THE 2LINES, THATS THE ONLY CRUISESHIPS I HAVE BEEN ON) One more word about the cabin, if you want a view avoid the Bermuda Deck, unless its a cabin between the lifeboats, you wont see a thing.

PUBLIC ROOMS-Overall the Horizon is in great condition for a ship this old, some signs of wear, which is to be expected, but very clean and well taken careof by the crew. Loved the America's Cup Club, Card Room and the Rendez-vous Lounge. Nice pool area. But the Horizon Lobby and Starlight restaurant need an overhaul, very dated. (More about the Starlight Later)

Entertainment-Celebrity needs alot of help in this area, shows were terrible, was like sitting though BAD high school production. Celebrity has NOTHING on Carnival in this area. Carnival shows were top notch!

Food-This is whereCelebrity really shines, all meals were fantastic,from room service to the grill to the Coral Seas Cafe. Wonderful presentation, taste.....it was all superb.

Service-Overall service was good, except in the Starlight Restaurant found the staff rude and obnoxious. Dined in there the first night it was OK, the second night was so bad we left 3/4 the way through dinner and went right to guest services to complain (which we never do normally, but it was so bad we had no choice)Guest Services and The Restaurant manager went above and beyond to remedy the situation, but we chose to dine in the casual restaurant the rest ofthe cruise, which I have to say, the service was better then a five star land based restaurant. You shopuld try it at least once, youll be very suprised.

Bermuda-AWESOME! Need I say more?

Now here is were the fireworks begin....

FELLOW PASSENGERS-We realized when booking on Celebrity, it caters to an older clientele,but I was shocked how old everyone really was, I would have to say the average age was at least 75. I never saw so many walkers, wheelchairs and canes in my life and I have worked in major medical centers. So we really didnt mix with that big of an age barrier, but found most of them to be pleasent and happy. The other cruisers were another story, I have NEVERin my life encountered such rude, abrasive and nasty people in my like. Sorry to say, these people were from Virginia. Pushing there way onto the elevators, cutting in line in the buffets, glaring at you for walking by. it was all too much. I was shocked by this, no mind you i am not saying that ALL people from virginia are or was like this, but the groups that we encountered, were from virginia and like I stated above. Its funny because, I overherd a group say,as we were standing on deck next to the Empress of the Seas, from Bayonne, NJ...."Oh NO its the NY crowd, those people are so rude and nasty" meanwhile, they were the ones being rude. Now this wasnt one or 2 people, itwas the general demeanor of at least 40% of the passengers.

Overall it was a nice cruise, any cruise is nice. Would I sail on Celebrity again, probally, but not for awhile.Celebrity caters to an older client tell, which we are not at that point yet. Would I sail out of Norfolk again, NEVER! Ill stick with NY, NJ or Fla. You know I have read alot of posts on here knocking Carnival, grated it maybe a party ship and have tasteless games and the food is OK. But everything runs like a clock and hey its a vacation, it should be fun!

9/01 Carnival Fasination

5/04 Celebrity Horizon

I'm a little confused. icon_confused.gif I get the idea you had some problems with parking? since you say you will never sail out of Norfolk again but going back and re-reading you review I can't see any real problems mentioned. Can you clarify what were the problems that caused you to have such a negative 'Norfolk experience"?

Timing is everything. If you want a younger crowd, go when they are having vacation time, not when the specials are getting most of the older retired people, which usually consist of groups from the same area. As for the rudeness, it has no boundries, as we have found.

Emerald Seas 1980

Norway 1994

Zenith 1995

Royal Majesty 1995

Century 1996, 1999

Ecstasy 1996

Mercury 1997

Horizon 1998

NCL Wind 1998

Grand Princess 1999

Sea Princess 2000

Infinity 2001

NCL Star 2002

Millennium 2003

Summit 2003, 2004=2X

Sun Princess Nov.22, 2004

Brilliance April 8,2005

I have to agree with fllady, timing is important. Was on the Mercury and it was like a retirement home, but on the Constellation it was a much younger crowd.

As for rude passengers, they are everywhere. Don't think that by choosing a different cruise line you're going to avoid them. Believe me I've seen my share of rude, loud, obnoxious passengers.

I'm surprised the service was so bad in the dining room. We had fabulous service on the Horizon, but then again it all depends on the management.

Stephanie

1986 Southward, NCL;1987 Holiday, Carnival;1988 Seaward, NCL; 1989 SS Norway, NCL;1990 Starward, NCL;1991 Skyward, NCL;1993 & 1994 Viking Serande, RCL; 1996 & 1997 Westerdam, HAL;1998 Noordam, HAL;1999 Veendam, HAL; 2000 Galaxy, Celebrity; 2001 Ryndam, HAL; 2001 Horizon, Celebrity;2002 Zaandam, HAL;2002 Horizon, Celebrity;2003 Constellation, Celebrity;2004 Mercury, Celebrity

I have to say that I am shocked. I have lived in several parts of Virginia and find that the people as a whole are wonderful. The Norfolk area consists of a very diverse population due to the Naval base located there and the beaches. I now live in Northern Virginia where I venture to say the vast majority of people are not native Virginians. Just because one lives in Virginia does not make them a native. Saying all of this I realize that when I sailed out of Boston I did the same thing. Many people were rude and I clumped them into the, "Oh those people from Mass. are so rude." Thanks for showing me my own stupidity! icon_cool.gif

Glad that overall the ship is well maintained and that Bermuda met your expectations.

Hi, I didn't think the Horizon had an "alternative restaurant" for dinner...

For anyone who has sailed Century and Horizon...is it like the "SKY BAR" on the Century?

Sorry your cruise was so disappointing and I am also really surprised about the attitude of the dining room staff...that is one thing I love about Celebrity...they have always been top notch to me.

I am not one to even see alot of the "shows" so that part probably won't bother me.

I would hope nobody will bash you for your review. You gave an honest review about how things went...unfortunetly it didn't sound like you had a very good time. Sorry about that.

Wishing you smooth sailing...whatever ship you are on nexticon_smile.gif.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

As a Virginia born girl, I am sorry that your sailing experience was not up to your expectation. I departed from the Horizon the same day that you sailed, and I found that on the 12 night journey most people,(old and young alike, including those hailing from my home state) were delightfully warm and considerate. It is unfortunate that you had such a bad experience; I sincerely hope that you will not feel that the groups you encountered were representative of all Virginians. Our trip was so enjoyaabe that I will be sailing on the Horizon again in late June out of Philly. I will make an effort to be extremely cognizant of passenger interactions while onboard and I'll report the findings back to you. Enjoy the summer!

Well, I'm not a native Virginian but, I do live close to the Norfolk area. I have been on this cruise during the same time frame in both 1998 (out of Norfolk) and 2002 (out of NYC).

I did post a review of almost the identical problems you stated in 2002. I said back then that the ship either needed to be refurbished or sold. Now before anybody says I hate the Horizon, it couldn't be further from the truth. We have been on her 4 different cruises and the difference between the first and this last one was astonishing.

The cabins are worn and the restaurant needs an overall update. The chairs are worn, the carpet is worn, and the servers are a different matter all together. Most of the waiters have been on the Horizon forever and a day. Their attitude shows it in claiming they have seen everything and can handle anything. Except a crying child. My heart went out to this child who cried EVERY dinner, loudly, non-stop. Nobody on that staff would do a thing to maybe suggest the parents get a sitter during dinner time or request dinner in the cabin. It was awful and like idiots, we sat through every one of these nights.

The pools were another thing. There are two pools of course, one for the children and one for the adults. Problem is, the children's pool is always tied up with some sort of contest going on and the children can't use it. I took my grandaughter into the adult pool with me as I was right with her the whole time and she could swim without aide so it was safe. The rudeness of the passengers in that pool was shocking and no amount of talking could get them past the fact of that being the ADULT pool. By the way she is 9.

In fact that particular itinerary has the rudest people I have ever run into. No other one that we have sailed seemed to have that quality of nit-picking these people did.

I looked at DH at the end and told him if I EVER became that way, he was to shoot me on site!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2005;4;24;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury here we come!

Autumnsea, I forgot to mention that John Howell was still the cruise director on the April 12-24, 2004 sailing of the Horizon. Quite by chance in a discussion with him, I discovered that he graduated from high school in Richmond with my teaching team mate..... small world! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by patrioticgirl on 05-25-04 at 10:14 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaribbeanBound:

LadyElaine...

What _was_ that particular itinerary that had the rudest people?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were both awful! The thing is, it seems to be that particular time in May. Both Norfolk and NYC were the exact same experience.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2005;4;24;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury here we come!

LadyElaine, just off the Horizon and there is not a childrens and adult pool. one is the regular pool and one is a heated"bubble Pool". And there were not activites going on at all times. Just a few in the afternoon.

As to the "rude passengers"...after a few cruises you begin to realize the older the average age the ruder the climate on the ship. I have noted this in several of my reviews. What I find particularly offensive is how many of them abuse the staff. It really makes me quite uncomfortable...however it seems to be a fact of life when cruising.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Hey,

I was shocked to see you were in the same cabin I will be in come July 31st out of Philly. I was told there was an obstructed view, had had no idea you can't see a thing. Thats just not right.

I was a little concerned about this boat being I heard it does show its age quite a bit and its very small.. any proof to that?

thanks!!

bobby

Hi Bobby...this ship and the Zenith are the smallest in the Celebrity Fleet.

Horizon is the smallest....46,811 tons.

I am sailing her in September and cannot wait icon_smile.gif. She is also the oldest, built in 1990.

That part doesn't bother me at all...I cannot wait to try her out.....I have heard many more positives than negatives and I always cruise with a good attitude icon_biggrin.gif.

If you prefer the much larger ships, you might want to try the M CLASS....Infinity, Connie, Millie or Summit. They are quite a bit bigger...in tonnage, length, and they hold a lot more people as well.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Hi fellow Virginian here sorry for the rudness you encountered but believe me that is a rarity in good ole VA!! Like others have posted there is rudeness everywhere.

Have a good day,

Toni

Infinity Hawaii 2004

Galaxy 2003

Voyager 2002

Explorer 2001

Archived