Liberty and Saint Kitts

k9_Cop

We went to at kitts on the 4/26 sailing. There were 2 tugs standing by to assist us but we didn't need them. My understanding is the ship missed st kitts for the 3 weeks before my cruise

Just off the Liberty today and yes, they are calling St. Kitts. As reported 2 tugs available to assist if windy and they can't control the ship without the thrusters. They did not need the tugs assistance on our departure from St. Kitts ... I was on deck 3 watching, almost hoping they would.

We have been to St. Kitts, Dominica and Antigua and they are all wonderful. Dominica was so much fun doing the river inner tubes, St. Kitts catamaran to private island with a great crew and Antigua Range Rover tour through the island and then to a glorious beach. Waves were a bit rough and very hard to get up if you fall down in the water. I know - I had a large audience cheering me on. You cannot go wrong with any of these islands. It's simply a matter of what you are looking for.

Carnival Liberty has three (3) bow thrusters. So if one is broken, there are still two to move the ship sideways to the dock. If there is a stiff breeze blowing, the ship may not be able to come off the dock, or may not have enough control with only two thrusters available. Lloyds may require the tugs in this situation, if not the Captain.

A year ago on the Amsterdam we were pinned to a dock in Papau, New Guinea by 30 knot breeze on the beam holding us to the dock. We waited until evening, the breeze reduced, and we left. Everything was working, it is just that these cruise ships have a lot of "Sail" area.

On Carnival Magic TA, we diverted to Freeport, Bahamas to have a bow thruster replaced after it was damaged by fouling a cable in Naples, Italy. The assembly was the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. Unfortunately, there was also damage to the mount, so the repair was not successful.

Just got off the Liberty May 3rd sailing. The dock in St Kitts is exposed and I can see how wind could be a factor, if the thruster was broke. The trusters seemed to work OK the entire trip. Just in case, Carnival appears to have it covered now as Two large Tugs were in port to assist if necessary.