I'm back

MrsMoose2001

Hi all,

\

I'm back, will write a more detailed review in a day or two, just got home a few hours ago, and since I can't sleep but will try in a few min to get some sleep I won't write much.

We had a great time in Alaska. It's amazing.

To CaviarGirl, Joe Fortes and Cin Cin (sp?) was fantastic. Thanks for the tip.

Went to Mont Cashmere and bought a great sweater and another shop got a great sweater and a pair of chanel shoes.

Also in one of the Fairmont Hotels (we were at the Pan Pacific) there was a great store with fur and I got the cutest hat and scarf.

Overall, we had a great time in Alaska and in Vancouver.

As for the ship, will write in detail in a few days.

To Jane and those who said, take the beaded cashmere twinset. great idea as that's what I wore to the captain's table for dinner with black pants and black ballet flats and it was perfect.

You saw really nice outfits and you saw outfits that you wondered "what are they thinking".

Thanks for all the advice. I can honestly say I think I was overall appropritely dressed judgeing from others.

During the 2 sea days, the majority of ladies wore what I would call "nice jogging suits". Like the juicy couture style (not juicy but that style). You know, like nice sweat pants with a matching jacket or something similar.

Thanks again to all will write more later.

Oh and CaviarGirl, never did find that caviar shop, but they had a caviar bar on the ship almost every night from 6 - 7:30 and hubby and I treated ourselves (it was not complimentary but very very reasonablly priced russian ossetra and sevruga). I didn't try the american but they had that as well.

Caviar Girl, I want to thank you for all your advice on Vancouver, the other 2 places we ate in was Milestores for lunch in Yorkdale or is it Yorktown, the goat cheese appetizer was wonderful and we at at Morton's Steakhouse which hubby just loved. Cin Cin was great and hubby and I loved Joe Fortes for lunch the other day as well as the cashmere shops.

The night of pre-cruise, we ate at the hotel as I was tired upon arrival and the next day we had a lite lunch before boarding the ship and I must say we thought the food at the Pan Pacific was really quite good.

If anyone is going to Vancouver, I highly recommend the aquarium visit. I know it's not fashion, but I just had to say that.

Really nice stores in Vancouver, and if you need a fur hat/scarf/coat/vest etc, this one shop called Snowflake in one of the Fairmont Hotels (the one that has St. John and Gucci) is really nice, stuff you don't see a lot of, not to mention this beautiful suede blazer, unfortunately they were sold out of it in my size, but it was absolutely beautiful and could be either dressed up or down with jeans. I was so disappointed when she said she no longer had my size in that blazer.

Didn't get the cowboy boots, I was disappoined in the stores selection and didn't have time to look elsewhere (no biggy). I got a new pair of chanel runners that I wanted.

Thanks again to all

To all traveling soon, happy, safe, and healthy travels.

Moose,

Welcome home!

So glad you had a great time and got in some great shopping and some wonderful meals.

Can't wait to hear more details about the ship when you've had a chance to unpack, open the mail, etc etc.

Jane

Hi, yes, these "jogging style" suits for sea days were seen a lot. I don't know what else to call them, but you know the "juicy couture" style things.

Or something similar, like a pair of comfy knit pants with a "hoodie", this was seen a lot on the ship on sea days "daytime".

It was so visible to me, because I remember thinking , well you did good, you brought the right things to wear on sea days.

But keep in mind I was on an Alaska cruise.

I did see a few capris what a a couple of jackets of a certain style and I knew immediately where they got them, lol, I have one, bought it last summer in Ogunquit Maine in a tiny store that sells them. At the time I bought it I said, perfect for the cruise next year, as I had just booked the cruise, but in the end didn't back it as I have it in white, and opted for something else.

Will write more when I can.

Hi, yes, these "jogging style" suits for sea days were seen a lot. I don't know what else to call them, but you know the "juicy couture" style things.

Interesting to note. I wouldn't have expected that. I would have expected a regular pant with a soft hoodie top. (maybe because that's what I'd wear)

I did see a few capris what a a couple of jackets of a certain style and I knew immediately where they got them, lol, I have one, bought it last summer in Ogunquit Maine in a tiny store that sells them. At the time I bought it I said, perfect for the cruise next year, as I had just booked the cruise, but in the end didn't back it as I have it in white, and opted for something else.

Can you describe this "certain style" jacket?

Actually, I would have expected to see a lot of the Burberry quilted cotton jackets on that cruise, no?

Jane

Hi MrsMoose:) welcome back and I am glad you had such a wonderful

time!

I want to do Alaska one of these days too.

So, now are you hooked on cruising? It is definitely addicting:D ;)

I fly to LA 4 weeks from tomorrow!!!

MrsMoose, I am so pleased you enjoyed my recommendations! I am always just a bit hesitant to share personal recommendations because everyone's taste is so different but I have been enjoying CinCin and Joe Forte's for about 12 years now and felt pretty confident.

I will be in Vancouver in 4 weeks for just one day and know I will have to be pushed back onto the ship!

MrsMoose, Welcome back! I've read a few of your posts elsewhere and I have to say I agree on a lot of what you have said.

#1 Cruise food is not necessarily all that good. I tried to tell my family/friends group last year what to expect and they still thought they would get gourmet on a cruise. We all had lunch together at Joe Fortes after disembarking and many of them commented they thought that was what cruise food would be like! Although I'm not always crazy for the food preparation, I can always find something I like, though. We eat a lot of salad and vegetables and we are always disappointed with the choices on ships. Most of the time, we feel the food is more the quality of what you will get at a banquet. All in all, I don't complain, though, I don't have to buy, prepare, serve or clean up! I just know what to expect.

#2 You never have enough time in port. No doubt about this one. It would be lovely to get to port early in the am and stay until, say, midnight every day. We have learned to never try to pack our time with activities throughout the day, settle on one thing you cannot miss and the rest is enjoyed if you feel like it. We find that when cruising, we like to relax more than when we are at home. In the future we would love to cruise a more adventure-oriented line, where the destination and experience is the focus. We would love to not have to get dressed up for dinner every night of the week!

#3 There are real people on a cruise and hardly ever do we see any fashionistas. There are always nicely dressed people as well as people who obviously don't care what they are wearing on the same ship. The vast majority are not memorable for their clothing choices, most people like to blend in with the crowds. My first cruise I shopped for complete new wardrobes for the entire family. We were shocked that not everyone was dressed nicely every day. I haven't made that mistake again.

Overall, it does sound like you had a good time, Alaska is an amazing place to see. In the distant future, we will go again, knowing what we know now we will do it a bit differently (including more time in Vancouver!).

Again, welcome back and I look forward to reading your experience in a more detailed review (please!).

Oh thank you all for such a warm welcome back.

I will try to answer a few things .

To Jane, No not a lot of those burberry quilted jackets, I know which you mean, I have one, but I saw 2 on disembark but not on the ship.

As for the hoddie things, some wore the hoddie, with "stretch knit pants" but they wren't necessarily a set, a lot of the velour "suits" or mix and match "velour" say a green velour hoddie and black velour pants.

The jacket, I talk about, well, let's see, the only place I've ever seen it sold is in Ogunquit Maine in a tiny shop that sells "Maine Resort" very casual stuff.

Every year they do different colors, like vivid pink, white, lime green, etc sometimes black.

It's the same style every year. A boxy jacket, sort of knit but not t-shirt knit but not regular fabric The fabric looks like a waffle, it has a collar, and two patch pockets and the buttons are like little wood rectangles.

I think it's around $90 give or take. I saw a couple of those on the ship. One woman had it in the lime green with black and one woman had it in black with white cropped pants.

But yes for sea days, those velour/jogging/atlhletic clothing. I thought I would see more designer stuff but no, actually, because of the board here and our conversations and to try to help others who may worry about their wardrobe, I would say it was not a "fashion cruise". I have to say, one woman, whose jewelry was probably worth a small fortune, well she wore just the wierest outfits. I don't know what to call them. We are taking head to toe, vivid hot pink (including the shoes) with a matching stole. Another night it was head to toe sky blue with matching stole. And the style of the clothing, I've never seen anything like it, a cross between Fredricks of Hollywood meets the Flintstones, Bettey and Wilma is the closest I can describe it. You could not hep notice her when she waked in it was so "out there". Her jewerly was absoultely stunning for some reason in a wierd sort of way it matched what she wore. She had jet black hair and wore hot pink lipstick all the time/day night.

Maybe it was just my cruise, but you saw everything, kilts on men, (no formal or informal nights), long denim skirt with layers of fringes and a distressed denim blazer that with 3 inch heavy black pumps.

I did see a few Tod's hadbags, and a few chanel bags. A lot of very large diamond studd earrings, which for some reason, didn't go with the wardrobe if you know what I mean.

Yes, cruise food was not great in my opinion., I'm not complaining but I didn't gain an ounce, I left with my pants looser than when I went on the ship. I've eaten better in every city I've been too. Signatures which is the Cordon Blue chef, well it was good, but hubby said my rack of lamb is better and I don't consider myself a good cook.

Back to fashion, one lady whose diamonds could blind you in size we are talking rocks here, wore a jacket with the Oceania logo on it, no burberry. What I noticed most was the jewelry as some really flashed it and made it noticed very much. Sleeves push up to show the gold rolex, diamond bezel, hair bushed back to show the earrigngs.

You know those basebal caps? A lot of that was worn by the women (majority of what I call younger women). 30's 40's and 50's and young looking 60s

Some wore the same pants and t-shirt just changing the cardigan. You know those chinese black "maryjane shoes" fabric, you buy in chinatown, some had those on as evening shoes.

One woman one night had on the most elegant black pantsuitewith a beautiful blouse, she was so elegantly dressed, that was the nicest outfit I saw on the whole ship. The only other jacket I saw that was really nice was on a lady very conservative and I complemented her on it, and she said it was a purchase on a trip from Arizona, the beadwork was so intricate and tasteful, but it was a very conservative jacket, something that could be worn in the boardroom. Those were the two nicest outfits on the ship.

I too was surprised to see the "outfits" or lack of. Jane, you were right on with that cashmere twinset and so happy we talked about it or I would not have packed it. My other blouse that I took, the snakeprint with rinestone buttons black/beige served me well (I bought it at Saks this past spring) Other than that, I stopped makeing a big effort when I saw what others wore. In many respects I think the men looked more tasteful than some of the women. I'm not putting anyone down or anything, it is not about the price of the clothing, or anything like that, just the lack of style. I always felt you can be stylish at any price and don't have to be "in designer regalia" but that really struck me as the lack of "style" on many of the women. A lot of "thong sandles". I know we had this conversation, but a lot of thong sandles. A lot of cropped pants, one other woman struck me with a plaid shirt and a dirndl skirt.

On to the next part, I was surprised at the rudeness of some of the people, not at all like the nice people here in the board. My hubby commented many times on the downright nastiness and rudeness of some of the people. This I did not expect. This was the biggest shock for us.

Caviar Girl, your recommendations on Vancouver was right on for us. I would never blame you anyway as it's always a personal thing.

As for the cruise, well, the staff and officers were fantastic. Service was great, above and beyond excellent. The complemetary wines with dinner were excellent quality (better than I anticipated). The food as I said was ok, as one lady said, I didn't have to cook it or clean up, just way to long for dinner. 3 hours for 2 people, hubby was miserable. The whiney passengers was not a pleasure. I wish you ladies would have been on the cruise, but the people I met were not at all nice like you ladies.

The spa was ok, I had a facial, massage, mannicure and my hair done once. The massage was great but way overpriced. The facial was ok, but again way overpriced. The manicure, was not great and really overpriced.

Jane you will understand when I say the spa services way way more expensive than the La Praire spa at the Ritz that I go to in NYC. I was surprised at the price. $80 for a manicure on the ship I consider to be way to much but that's my opinion. I was in shock when I got my bill to sign. Overall I did the spa to keep busy on sea days but found it way overpriced when I got my bill and not as good as I've had on land in NYC for a lot less.

The boutique on the ship, not well stocked, what sold and was worn were these grey sweat pants style but sort of from a funny type fabric, with rubber on the ankles. Also the long sleeved t-shirts were sold and worn on the ship. The rest was that Tommy Bahama or whatever, that sold well and was worn also. Not what I would call a well stocked boutique and even the hubby was surprised at the "lack of merchanidise".

I really enjoyed Alaska. It was amazing, and I cried when we pulled into port in Ketchikan (first stop in Alaska), that I lived to make it to Alaska and gave thanks. I cried when I put my two feet on Alaskan soil, as I was so happy to be in Alaska, tears of joy. I was blown away by it's natural beauty. I didn't care what I wore or how I looked (I had a bad hair day every day between the humidity and the soft water on the ship) but I didn't care, I was in Alaska. I didn't care what others wore, I took notice so I could report here which was fun for me in my own private way. I didn't care about the rudeness of some of the people or the attitude of "I've got money and I'm makeing sure everyone knows how much I have or want them to think I have".

I didn't care if the food was not the greatest. You are right, such a lack of salad choices on the dinner menu, it was amazing.

The seas were rough on I'd say 3 - 4 nights, very rough according to the captain and many people were ill. One couple left and flew home the hubby was so sick and he was vomiting so much his stiches from his heart surgery was pulling and the ship doctor said he had to leave or risk having them pulled open. I felt the "rockin and rollin" but I didn't get sick, I just thought it was normal, it's a ship so I expected it. It was hard to dance with all the rockin and rollin so we only had 3 dances in total.

I only went to one show the last night called Krew Kapers and it was really good, pre dinner show. The rest we just enjoyed the pre dinner music in the bar with our cocktails and the caviar bar was a nice indulgennce for me.

If I tell you one couple the wife, they sat with us one night, spent 1 hour compalining about her daughter's boyfriend, another 2 hours on why she could only get one reservation for Signatures and Lattidues for one night each and she fought with the Matire d' demanding to eat there more than once, this surprised me, but I ignored it as the only thing that mattered to me was that I made it to Alaska. I survive chemo and radiation and my dream to visit Alaska happened.

The phones worked well and I got to call my mom and my ears on the plane was not to bad and Vancouver was great and Pan Pacific a wonderful hotel so all in all it was a great trip.

As for cruise life, well, I would not fly to go on a cruise again. If I have to fly, then no cruise, the only cruise I would consider at this point would be transatlantic or NYC to Bermuda having been to Bermuda years ago, but flying is not involved for me as I can drive to NYC and back. I can't say I love cruise life.

If I take away Alaska, I prefer my trips to NYC more or Boston, or Maine or resorts like the Sagamore in Upstate NY or the Basin Harbor Club in Vermont.

My other trip that I would like to take is a night or two on the Orient Express.

What did inpress me was that the ship took up a collection for the victims of New Orleans as did Air Canada on the return fight and the captain had a min of silence for the victims of New Orleans.

I flew first class rt to Vancouver, priority baggage was a big plus and the comfort level was well worth the price for hubby and myself. I made the right choice to spend the money on the first class tickets but that is just for us.

The shore excurisons were great, there was a lot of sales on everything from jewelry etc in Alaska as end of season for anyone considering going, in the future.

If anyone has any questions or if I didn't go into enough detail, please just ask.

To everyone here, THANK YOU for all your help, encouragement and good wishes and such a nice welcome back.

To Lois R, where are you going?

To Caviar girl, where are you going after Vancouver?

I wish everyone travelling safe, healthy and happy travels, thanks for being so nice to me.

I will try to answer a few things .

To Jane, No not a lot of those burberry quilted jackets, I know which you mean, I have one, but I saw 2 on disembark but not on the ship.

As for the hoddie things, some wore the hoddie, with "stretch knit pants" but they wren't necessarily a set, a lot of the velour "suits" or mix and match "velour" say a green velour hoddie and black velour pants.

The jacket, I talk about, well, let's see, the only place I've ever seen it sold is in Ogunquit Maine in a tiny shop that sells "Maine Resort" very casual stuff.

Every year they do different colors, like vivid pink, white, lime green, etc sometimes black.

It's the same style every year. A boxy jacket, sort of knit but not t-shirt knit but not regular fabric The fabric looks like a waffle, it has a collar, and two patch pockets and the buttons are like little wood rectangles.

I think it's around $90 give or take. I saw a couple of those on the ship. One woman had it in the lime green with black and one woman had it in black with white cropped pants.

But yes for sea days, those velour/jogging/atlhletic clothing. I thought I would see more designer stuff but no, actually, because of the board here and our conversations and to try to help others who may worry about their wardrobe, I would say it was not a "fashion cruise". I have to say, one woman, whose jewelry was probably worth a small fortune, well she wore just the wierest outfits. I don't know what to call them. We are taking head to toe, vivid hot pink (including the shoes) with a matching stole. Another night it was head to toe sky blue with matching stole. And the style of the clothing, I've never seen anything like it, a cross between Fredricks of Hollywood meets the Flintstones, Bettey and Wilma is the closest I can describe it. You could not hep notice her when she waked in it was so "out there". Her jewerly was absoultely stunning for some reason in a wierd sort of way it matched what she wore. She had jet black hair and wore hot pink lipstick all the time/day night.

Maybe it was just my cruise, but you saw everything, kilts on men, (no formal or informal nights), long denim skirt with layers of fringes and a distressed denim blazer that with 3 inch heavy black pumps.

I did see a few Tod's hadbags, and a few chanel bags. A lot of very large diamond studd earrings, which for some reason, didn't go with the wardrobe if you know what I mean.

Yes, cruise food was not great in my opinion., I'm not complaining but I didn't gain an ounce, I left with my pants looser than when I went on the ship. I've eaten better in every city I've been too. Signatures which is the Cordon Blue chef, well it was good, but hubby said my rack of lamb is better and I don't consider myself a good cook.

Back to fashion, one lady whose diamonds could blind you in size we are talking rocks here, wore a jacket with the Oceania logo on it, no burberry. What I noticed most was the jewelry as some really flashed it and made it noticed very much. Sleeves push up to show the gold rolex, diamond bezel, hair bushed back to show the earrigngs.

You know those basebal caps? A lot of that was worn by the women (majority of what I call younger women). 30's 40's and 50's and young looking 60s

Some wore the same pants and t-shirt just changing the cardigan. You know those chinese black "maryjane shoes" fabric, you buy in chinatown, some had those on as evening shoes.

One woman one night had on the most elegant black pantsuitewith a beautiful blouse, she was so elegantly dressed, that was the nicest outfit I saw on the whole ship. The only other jacket I saw that was really nice was on a lady very conservative and I complemented her on it, and she said it was a purchase on a trip from Arizona, the beadwork was so intricate and tasteful, but it was a very conservative jacket, something that could be worn in the boardroom. Those were the two nicest outfits on the ship.

I too was surprised to see the "outfits" or lack of. Jane, you were right on with that cashmere twinset and so happy we talked about it or I would not have packed it. My other blouse that I took, the snakeprint with rinestone buttons black/beige served me well (I bought it at Saks this past spring) Other than that, I stopped makeing a big effort when I saw what others wore. In many respects I think the men looked more tasteful than some of the women. I'm not putting anyone down or anything, it is not about the price of the clothing, or anything like that, just the lack of style. I always felt you can be stylish at any price and don't have to be "in designer regalia" but that really struck me as the lack of "style" on many of the women. A lot of "thong sandles". I know we had this conversation, but a lot of thong sandles. A lot of cropped pants, one other woman struck me with a plaid shirt and a dirndl skirt.

On to the next part, I was surprised at the rudeness of some of the people, not at all like the nice people here in the board. My hubby commented many times on the downright nastiness and rudeness of some of the people. This I did not expect. This was the biggest shock for us.

Caviar Girl, your recommendations on Vancouver was right on for us. I would never blame you anyway as it's always a personal thing.

As for the cruise, well, the staff and officers were fantastic. Service was great, above and beyond excellent. The complemetary wines with dinner were excellent quality (better than I anticipated). The food as I said was ok, as one lady said, I didn't have to cook it or clean up, just way to long for dinner. 3 hours for 2 people, hubby was miserable. The whiney passengers was not a pleasure. I wish you ladies would have been on the cruise, but the people I met were not at all nice like you ladies.

The spa was ok, I had a facial, massage, mannicure and my hair done once. The massage was great but way overpriced. The facial was ok, but again way overpriced. The manicure, was not great and really overpriced.

Jane you will understand when I say the spa services way way more expensive than the La Praire spa at the Ritz that I go to in NYC. I was surprised at the price. $80 for a manicure on the ship I consider to be way to much but that's my opinion. I was in shock when I got my bill to sign. Overall I did the spa to keep busy on sea days but found it way overpriced when I got my bill and not as good as I've had on land in NYC for a lot less.

The boutique on the ship, not well stocked, what sold and was worn were these grey sweat pants style but sort of from a funny type fabric, with rubber on the ankles. Also the long sleeved t-shirts were sold and worn on the ship. The rest was that Tommy Bahama or whatever, that sold well and was worn also. Not what I would call a well stocked boutique and even the hubby was surprised at the "lack of merchanidise".

I really enjoyed Alaska. It was amazing, and I cried when we pulled into port in Ketchikan (first stop in Alaska), that I lived to make it to Alaska and gave thanks. I cried when I put my two feet on Alaskan soil, as I was so happy to be in Alaska, tears of joy. I was blown away by it's natural beauty. I didn't care what I wore or how I looked (I had a bad hair day every day between the humidity and the soft water on the ship) but I didn't care, I was in Alaska. I didn't care what others wore, I took notice so I could report here which was fun for me in my own private way. I didn't care about the rudeness of some of the people or the attitude of "I've got money and I'm makeing sure everyone knows how much I have or want them to think I have".

I didn't care if the food was not the greatest. You are right, such a lack of salad choices on the dinner menu, it was amazing.

The seas were rough on I'd say 3 - 4 nights, very rough according to the captain and many people were ill. One couple left and flew home the hubby was so sick and he was vomiting so much his stiches from his heart surgery was pulling and the ship doctor said he had to leave or risk having them pulled open. I felt the "rockin and rollin" but I didn't get sick, I just thought it was normal, it's a ship so I expected it. It was hard to dance with all the rockin and rollin so we only had 3 dances in total.

I only went to one show the last night called Krew Kapers and it was really good, pre dinner show. The rest we just enjoyed the pre dinner music in the bar with our cocktails and the caviar bar was a nice indulgennce for me.

If I tell you one couple the wife, they sat with us one night, spent 1 hour compalining about her daughter's boyfriend, another 2 hours on why she could only get one reservation for Signatures and Lattidues for one night each and she fought with the Matire d' demanding to eat there more than once, this surprised me, but I ignored it as the only thing that mattered to me was that I made it to Alaska. I survived chemo and radiation, and my dream to visit Alaska happened.

The phones worked well and I got to call my mom and my ears on the plane was not to bad and Vancouver was great and Pan Pacific a wonderful hotel so all in all it was a great trip.

As for cruise life, well, I would not fly to go on a cruise again. If I have to fly, then no cruise, the only cruise I would consider at this point would be transatlantic or NYC to Bermuda having been to Bermuda years ago, but flying is not involved for me as I can drive to NYC and back. I can't say I love cruise life.

If I take away Alaska, I prefer my trips to NYC more or Boston, or Maine or resorts like the Sagamore in Upstate NY or the Basin Harbor Club in Vermont.

My other trip that I would like to take is a night or two on the Orient Express.

What did impress me was that the ship took up a collection for the victims of New Orleans as did Air Canada on the return fight and the captain had a min of silence for the victims of New Orleans on the ship.

I flew first class rt to Vancouver, priority baggage was a big plus and the comfort level was well worth the price for hubby and myself. I made the right choice to spend the money on the first class tickets but that is just for us.

The shore excurisons were great, there was a lot of sales on everything from jewelry etc in Alaska as end of season for anyone considering going, in the future.

If anyone has any questions or if I didn't go into enough detail, please just ask.

To everyone here, THANK YOU for all your help, encouragement and good wishes and such a nice welcome back.

To Lois R, where are you going?

To Caviar girl, where are you going after Vancouver?

Jane, hopefully I'll see you in NYC in a few weeks. Looking foward to that trip.

I wish everyone travelling safe, healthy and happy travels, thanks for being so nice to me.

Hi MrsMoose:)

I am re-reading your review. Sounds like you had a good time and I am glad

for you. But I did see you say cruise life is not for you.

That is what makes the world go round that is for sure. But another suggestion

might be to try another cruiseline.

When I found cruising a couple of years ago I literally fell in love with it;)

You asked where am I going?

4 weeks from TODAY:D I am flying to LAX and on Oct 10th I am sailing to

the Mexican Riveria on Celebrity's Summit. Stops are Cabo San Lucas,

Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan and 3 sea days. I have been to Cabo once

but the other ports are new to me!

I usually sail solo but this time I am sharing a cabin with a girlfriend I met

from these boards! We have a wonderful group on our Roll Call and even

have a table of 8 for dinner of friends from that roll call too. (cross-referenced) our booking numbers. It should be a wonderful week!

Again, glad you had a good time and welcome home.

MrsMoose, I am taking a short 5 night cruise through the inside passage with stops in Vancouver and Prince Rupert. It is a business trip and I will be working but they give us a good amount of free time as well.

I rented a car in Vancouver as I will have my mom, her best friend and one of my girlfriends with me and there are several places I want to introduce them to, especially Granville Market. In Prince Rupert, I want to do the sea kayaking so they will be on their own.

Alaska is truly spectacular and I am going to try and get there next year, late in the season as my early summer is packed with work trips and I will not have the time.

I agree with Lois that you may want to explore another cruise line. I can tell you that if Carnival had been my first cruise, I would have sworn off cruising forever! The lines are very different, as are the experiences they offer.

As a suggestion, Radisson offers a series of 7 night cruises to New England and Canada. I think you will find their ships a whole different experience. The food is really excellent and the staterooms fabulous! Service is very attentive and polished. And you can drive to your point of departure.

Just a thought...

CG

Hi, to Lois R and Caviar Girl, have a wonderful time on your trips.

I was on Radisson Seven Seas Mariner. I think I would maybe try a mexican cruise.

Lois your trip sounds wonderful. I would love to see mexico sometime. I hope you have a fabulous time and look foward to hearing/reading all about it.

Caviar Girl, enjoy your short cruise and your time in Vancouver, I look foward to hearing all about your trip as well.

New England/Canada would be a waste of money on us as we do that by land and would not consider it. I would consider mexico as I don't trust the food in mexico and can't afford "montezuma's revenge" so would consider a cruise.

I was not impressed with Radisson food, probably just me, but I thought Joe Forte's had better food than Radisson, even the Signatures which everyone talks about. No biggie, we had a wonderful time, and I got to know all you nice ladies too because of the cruise.

:))

Safe, healthy and happy travels to Lois R, Caviar Girl and anyone else travelling. Look foward to hearing all about it.

Well, MrsMoose, I've always thought money can't buy class and your description of some of your fellow pax suggests that again. I've had the experience of rude pax on a cruise ship, but it has always been the exception, not the rule. So, I would also suggest trying another cruise line before you write off cruising altogether. From what you've written in the past, Celebrity might be a good fit for you. Jane has cruised on Oceania and has sold me on the idea of a future cruise with them.

I was very touched by your feelings of being in Alaska. We should all be so thankful for our experience and appreciate what our opportunities are.

Loved your review and will also tell you to try another cruise line. Carnival is by far my least favorite line. I would suggest you go for a Celebrity ship.

Darlene

Darlene,

MrsMoose went on a Radisson ship, not Carnival.

Jane

MrsMoose,

Thanks for taking the time to write up your cruise review, complete with fahion (or nonfashion) commentary. Loved it!

I'm glad you found my suggestion of the twin sweater set to be a good one, I knew it would be, so thanks for mentioning it. Glad you got to do some good shopping Vancouver too.

Loved your fashion report! What a hoot! I don't think I've ever seen those waffle jackets you described. Maybe they're just not popular here in NYC? I could just picture Ms. Pink Lipstick and adored your description.....those colorful characters we encounter always remain in our minds. I have to say that I was suprised that so many women on Radisson wore the knit jogging style suits. I really didn't expect to hear that. Interesting.

In terms of saying that cruising is not for you, I'm certainly not going to try to persuade you to change. However, my own feeling is that cruises are good for some things and not for others. I do like cruises, however, I'm not as big a fan of them as are many people on this board. One cruise every couple of years is enough for me. We prefer to see the world by land and really get to know a place at out own pace. I hate looking at my watch and having to think about what time we have to be back onboard and we dislike most organized tours where we're being led by the hand and have to keep to the group schedule. On the plus side, a cruise is great for places that we might not want to travel to independently or where one day is sufficient. This past Feb. our cruise (on Oceania) was just that. We saw some wonderful little Brazillian towns that we'd never get to visit on our own - and being small cities, 8 hours was enough. Also, as you mentioned, in a place where the sanitation is questionable, like Mexico, a cruise is a perfect way to experience it without risking food poisoning.

I've never been on Radisson, though I was invited to a luncheon on one of their ships last year when it was docked in NY. It was a lovely lunch, and was very good and beautifully served, however, it didn't come close to Oceania's level of cuisine which has the best food I've ever experienced on a ship.

You've been though so much in the past years and a trip to Alaska, I think, was a perfect celebration of 5 years cancer-free. Again, BIG congrats on that!

I've not been to Alaska (yet) and think that a cruise is probably a perfect way to visit it with a nice combination of private & organized tours as well as seeing the beauty of it from sitting on our balcony with a glass of wine and being gobsmaked by the scenery as we float by. I bet it was awesome!

Re: Spa Prices. Welcome to typical cruise rip off! :eek: I generally avoid the spa's at sea because the prices are outrageous. I've had a couple of facials when there were special promotions on them. But a manicure or a pedicure? Never! I spend $10. on a NY manicure and $35. on a pedi when I go to a high end place. If I want to go to a cheapie place, I can get a mani/pedi combo for $23!

Again, thanks for the review.

Jane

I would say it was not a "fashion cruise". I have to say, one woman, whose jewelry was probably worth a small fortune, well she wore just the wierest outfits. I don't know what to call them. We are taking head to toe, vivid hot pink (including the shoes) with a matching stole. Another night it was head to toe sky blue with matching stole. And the style of the clothing, I've never seen anything like it, a cross between Fredricks of Hollywood meets the Flintstones, Bettey and Wilma is the closest I can describe it. You could not hep notice her when she waked in it was so "out there". Her jewerly was absoultely stunning for some reason in a wierd sort of way it matched what she wore. She had jet black hair and wore hot pink lipstick all the time/day night.

I'm picturing Morticia Addams with hot pink lipstick. ROFL! Not a big fan of having everything match..but a matching stole with a hotpink or sky blue outfit...that I would love to see just for the experience!

We noticed this on our last cruise as well...but I guess people are people no matter where you are. We had one gentleman actually push his way into a crowded elevator while everyone was trying to get off. Not an "excuse me" or anything. DH and I burst out laughing...it was just too bizarre!

The whiney passengers was not a pleasure. I wish you ladies would have been on the cruise, but the people I met were not at all nice like you ladies.

Again, we were also surprised by the "grump" factor on board. I guess some people will just never be happy.

I stay away from the ships' spas simply because locally I know how the service will be, and I know that I'm receiving what I pay for. DH got a haircut and he was in shock when he returned to the cabin. I think it was the first time he had ever paid what I normally pay for a woman's cut and style. But it was a good hair cut.

SO glad you enjoyed Alaska!!! You really deserve it, and I happy to hear that it was as beautiful as you had hoped.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

~e

Hi Ladies,

To Jane, I've never seen those "waffle jackets" either except in this little tiny store in Ogunquit Maine. They carry them every year and seem extremely popular there. When I bought mine, the lady said it was one of her biggest sellers during the season.

Of course I would mention your suggestion and thank you, it was perfect and I was so grateful that you suggested to bring it or I would never have thought to bring it along.

As for the spa prices yes, I felt ripped off, but it served my purpose. I wanted to be busy on sea days as those were the worse for me, thinking about calling my mom and not being able to have a long conversation because of the connection with ship to shore, I wanted to be "occupied" and felt the spa was the best way. I was to "neverous" to just sit and read for any length of time and I really didn't want to partake in any games as I would not have been very good in concentration, but I was shocked at the prices considering how popular the spa was, but not a big deal, it's a one-off as they say.

Yup, she was a colorful character, nothing like Mortica, more like Fredricks of Hollywood meets Wilma Flintstone, but you know what, she seemed pleasant, never rude, and while I didn't have a chance to chat with her, they kept to themselves a lot.

As for rudeness, oh boy, I didn't even mention the incident, hubby had left his jacket on the chair in the observation lounge in the am and went outside to take a picture, his camera bag next to the chair. I was watching the scenery when all of a sudden I see his jacket being put on the floor and a woman sitting down, I said, I'm sorry the chair is taken, my husband will be right back, she informed me, that someone on the other side had taken her chair and she is now doing the same thing to "me". Needless to say, hubby got his chair back when he came in, I'm sorry, but I found that inexcusable.

Hubby was walking on the stairs, and a man from behind shoved him aside and said "if I knew it would be this slow on the stairs, I'd have taken the elevator".

the same woman with the chair, her husband informed me in the elevator that he did not care for my pendant, out of the blue, hubby and I were speachless on that one.

I agree completely with you Jane, a cruise for Mexico would be a perfect way for me to see Mexico. Or a place I would not feel comfortable alone, but generally we like to travel the way you mentioned you do.

I'm not saying I'll never cruise again, but I won't say I can't wait to go on another cruise either.

Thank you again Jane for the good wishes, I'm glad I entertained you all with my cruise review.

Oceania sounds like a nice cruise ship too from your description and will certainly look into it. I certainly can understand some people's love of cruising, if I look at it objectively, and my husband said that he could see where for some people it was the ideal way to travel, but the constant worry about getting back to the ship on time as Jane mentioned just didn't do it for us this time. Perhaps on another cruise or a transatlantic crossing where there are no ports of call, it would be more suited for us.

Anyway, I love talking to all of you and hope to hear about everyones' upcoming cruises and travels.

Archived