Alaska First time

ScotsLady

So excited, have booked Alaska for August 2016, seems such a long time away. Already looking at trips etc, I like to plan ahead....

Have been reading about the Tracy Arm Glacier aboard a smaller boat but not sure if the ship I am on will do this. Does anyone know if Celebrity Infinity , a Vancouver round trip of the inside passage does this tour? I know we stop at Juneau, looked at Celebrity website but saw no mention of this other trip.

Another question, we have booked aft balcony. Have read that there are naturalists aboard who give commentary...will we be able to hear that on our balcony or do you need to be on deck to hear this?

So excited, have booked Alaska for August 2016, seems such a long time away. Already looking at trips etc, I like to plan ahead....

Have been reading about the Tracy Arm Glacier aboard a smaller boat but not sure if the ship I am on will do this. Does anyone know if Celebrity Infinity , a Vancouver round trip of the inside passage does this tour? I know we stop at Juneau, looked at Celebrity website but saw no mention of this other trip.

Another question, we have booked aft balcony. Have read that there are naturalists aboard who give commentary...will we be able to hear that on our balcony or do you need to be on deck to hear this?

For Tracy Arm, you have to either have it mentioned on your itinerary or have at least 12 hours in port, ideal at least 7a-7p. I don't really recommend the "fast" shorter timed tour. TIME is what's going to give you the extensive views and time to view wildlife and wait for glacier calving.

There are few times where ship commentary is given. They give more programs, you will have to attend, they may be taped where you can watch time on the tv.

For commentary to be heard on most balconies, you have to have your tv on the channel, and your door open. This would be the case with your glacier sailing- either Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm. If you remain in your cabin during these sailing, you will get less than 50% of the viewing.

You have plenty of time to make changes if you wish to. I haven't even got my Alaska, cruises booked this season. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

I was looking at the excursions for July on the Solstice and there is one to Tracy's Arm. It is a 5 hour trip on a catamaran. Since we are going into Tracy's Arm not sure if they get dropped off in the fjord and go back to Juneau on the catamaran. It is to early for to know what they will have next year, but they do not change very much from year to year.

Edited by ozark74

For Tracy Arm, you have to either have it mentioned on your itinerary or have at least 12 hours in port, ideal at least 7a-7p. I don't really recommend the "fast" shorter timed tour. TIME is what's going to give you the extensive views and time to view wildlife and wait for glacier calving.

There are few times where ship commentary is given. They give more programs, you will have to attend, they may be taped where you can watch time on the tv.

For commentary to be heard on most balconies, you have to have your tv on the channel, and your door open. This would be the case with your glacier sailing- either Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm. If you remain in your cabin during these sailing, you will get less than 50% of the viewing.

You have plenty of time to make changes if you wish to. I haven't even got my Alaska, cruises booked this season. :)

Hi, thanks for reply. Can I ask re your comment if you remain in your cabin during sailing you will miss 50% of the viewing. We booked an aft cabin after reading reports that these were best for Alaska, and instead of fighting for a space on deck you would be able to see all from your balcony....

Hi, thanks for reply. Can I ask re your comment if you remain in your cabin during sailing you will miss 50% of the viewing. We booked an aft cabin after reading reports that these were best for Alaska, and instead of fighting for a space on deck you would be able to see all from your balcony....

I've also been on these boards constantly for over a year. Going on our celebrity Alaskan cruise this june southbound!

Although those cabins sometimes have bigger balconies and do have great views, I've never heard any one of the seasoned Alaskan travelers/posters recommend staying in your cabin during glacier days! No matter how good your views are they all say you will miss so much if you're not out in the public decks.

Tracy Arm- views are forward, IF you happen to get any look at the South Sawyer- and aren't taking the add on tour, the aft view is going to be very short, compared to getting the view the entire, available time and moving with the ship.

Aft is also a negative with wildlife which is superior to track from ahead. If you happen to catch a glance of wildlife aft- it is moving away and you've missed over 50% of the potential. Especially with marine wildlife- they are under the water- the majority of the time. So to really see the most you can, can be a priority for some.

I totally disagree with the "fighting for space" claim that is frequently given. A myth in my experience, and it sure does sound good- somehow, thinking the bottom feeders who use the open decks have an inferior experience. Side viewing offers both forward and aft- expansive views. I have my extensive clear views- EVERY trip (which is multiple every year), and never have any problem getting plenty of rail space. :)

Edited by Budget Queen