Mini Sky Review

Bases5

This was our first NCL freestyle cruise.

but our 30th overall.

I know my sig has 3 NCL but the other 2 were back in the early 80's so it was way before Freestyle.

I read a lot of things here on CC

I'm not a big writer so I will just pass along a few random thoughts. we observed

If I would not have read about all the changes here on CC I would not of thought anything was out of place. (new charges)

There was no charge for room service except $5 for pizza and $3.95 between midnight and 5 AM

Food was very good and a great many selections. Specialty restaurant were good with Cagneys the only one worth the extra fare (imho) there was only 3 on the Sky

The bills did have the auto 18%% gratuities but since we had UDP there was no charge.

We also had the UBP and never had a drink not covered.

Pre paid OBC does not show up on your account until about midnight the first night. My card would work then it would decline. We went to guest service and they would turn it on again, After a couple drink's it would decline again. This happen 3 times.

The bar tender would still get me a drink since I had UBP and he would hand write a receipt.

Not a big deal but I have never had a issue before especially since we had PP gratuities UBP & UDP.

After midnight the card worked fine the rest of the cruise.

With the Sky the bar and BBQ by the cove on GSC is closed.

We thought the crew seemed to be some of the happiest of any cruise we have been on.

We like the red carpet touch when re boarding plus the crew playing music and dancing.

A very festive atmosphere.

Embark and Debark was a peace of cake.

The only weird note to us (we liked it) is that you go to guest service and pick out the luggage tags you want. They have always been left in the room on past cruises. I like that I could pick the time we could get off instead of pot luck.

The coffee was ground (not liquid) and it was acceptable.

Plenty of smoking areas (4) that it didn't even cross our mind's to brake the rule's, however there were a few balcony smoker's near by (not smoking Cigs)

Overall:

Even though the Sky was a older ship without all the bells; I think it does represent NCL very well.

We would rate this cruise a A- and will definitely consider NCL when we look at future cruise's

We liked it enough we bought a FCC.

Any particular question please ask.

Any particular question please ask.

Thanks for the mini review.

What sort of cabin did you have?

Did you try all of the specialty restaurants? (If so, can you tell me what they are?)

Were there Asian option on the buffet? (I ask because there is no Asian specialty restaurant onboard.)

What did you think of the weekend cruise, as a concept? Did you feel rushed? Did you feel it was worth it, even thought it was short?

What sort of cabin did you have?

Did you try all of the specialty restaurants? (If so, can you tell me what they are?)

Were there Asian option on the buffet? (I ask because there is no Asian specialty restaurant onboard.)

What did you think of the weekend cruise, as a concept? Did you feel rushed? Did you feel it was worth it, even thought it was short?

Yes we did do all 3

Cagneys was a steak house

La bistro was French

Le bistro Italian

We had a balcony on deck 10 aft.

They did have a wok at the buffet

They also have a sushi bar in the plantation club that was a-la-cart we looked at the menu and the price's did not seem bad, however we did not try it.

I would not fly for a 3 night cruise. You just seem to get relaxed and poof its over.

If you think about it as a fun long weekend it great.

We had been to Nassau many time's so we stayed on the ship and I think that helped make it seem a little longer.

Thanks for the review

I am confused by the sentence "BBQ by the cove at GSC is closed"

Sorry

The BBQ and Bar near the cove at great sturrip cay (ncl's private island)is closed due to the Sky being a smaller ship.

Many people said the cove was the place to go when visiting the island.

Yes we did do all 3

........I would not fly for a 3 night cruise. You just seem to get relaxed and poof its over.

If you think about it as a fun long weekend it great.

We had been to Nassau many time's so we stayed on the ship and I think that helped make it seem a little longer.

Eek, we are flying from Texas to Miami for this 3-day trip. We'll do as suggested and think of it as a fun long weekend.

We've never been to Nassau, is it worth getting off the ship if you've never been there? We are planning to have some spa time and will probably do it at Nassau. Do you think half a day at Nassau would be worthwhile?

Sorry

The BBQ and Bar near the cove at great sturrip cay (ncl's private island)is closed due to the Sky being a smaller ship.

Many people said the cove was the place to go when visiting the island.

That's interesting they would close a bar on their own island just because the Sky is a smaller ship. Its been years since I was there and they had just finished the buffet style indoor restaurant. I don't think I have seen the cove bar or BBQ restaurant.

Thanks for the info. I'm boarding the Sky in May.

How did you like the ship entertainment?

And what about the night parties?

I thought there was a lot of options for entertainment. There was something always going on. I was impressed.

they still have the white hot party on deck and a after party in Dazzles. It was hopping all night long.

Eek, we are flying from Texas to Miami for this 3-day trip. We'll do as suggested and think of it as a fun long weekend.

We've never been to Nassau, is it worth getting off the ship if you've never been there? We are planning to have some spa time and will probably do it at Nassau. Do you think half a day at Nassau would be worthwhile?

Nassau is hit or miss depending on whom you ask.

Like i said we don't get off any more but we have had some good times there.

We like walking down to the fish fry. fresh conch salad, fritters and lots of fresh seafood cooked to order.

fish fry is a bunch of little restaurants on the water front.

We have had nice snorkeling trip there also.

Blue lagoon is a nice place to go also.

Go to the ports of call board, There is lots of info on Nassau.

We fly over to atlantis on gambling junkets so that's why we stay on the ship now.

I like having the ship to ourselves for a few hours.

You said the bar and Bbq by the cove were closed is there other bar or Bbq area on the island? I was looking forward to enjoying drinks while at GSC

Yes the main BBQ area witch is large. plus there are 3 or 4 other bars. The drink package works on GSC.

A lot of people said to go to the cove to get away from the masses,

We went and it's nice but nothing really open. If we would have stayed it was a pretty good hike to the next bar.

We choose to get closer to the bar.