Thomson Celebration attack

Just found this on the BBC site about court case where two pensioners were attacked. Not what you expect when you take a cruise.

A man accused of attacking two frail Middlesbrough pensioners on a holiday cruise told police he acted in self-defence, a court has heard.

Ron Phillips, 70, was repeatedly punched as he took cocoa back to the cabin he shared with his wife June, 68, Teesside Crown Court was told.

The couple were on an all-inclusive cruise off Lanzarote when the alleged attack occurred in January 2014.

Graeme Finlay, 53, from Glasgow, denies unlawful wounding.

The court heard Mr Phillips, who has had a hip replacement, was knocked out during the incident and his wife was later found to have suffered fractured two vertebrae after being shoved against a wall.

Mr Finlay, of Meadowside Quay Walk, told police he hit Mr Phillips in self-defence, but he denied attacking his wife during the cruise on board the Thomson Celebration.

'Limited mobility'

Mr Phillips claimed he was carrying their two mugs of cocoa back to their cabin when he was punched in the corridor. His wife had gone before him and was holding the door open.

He said: "I turned my head to the left and the next thing I knew, I was coming to on the floor with various people around me."

He needed six stitches to a head wound and was treated by the ship's medical staff.

The court heard the couple had been assisted by the crew to get on board the cruise ship as they both had "limited mobility".

Lewis Kerr, prosecuting, said Mrs Phillips had seen her husband being punched several times and that when she went to his aid, she was pushed against a wall leaving her unconscious.

Mr Kerr said after the attack, the crew found blood stains in Mr Finlay's cabin and he was "disembarked" from the cruise.

Mr Finlay, who also denies causing grievous bodily harm, was questioned by police in the UK and said there had been an argument that night, and accepted he hit Mr Phillips, but did not accept causing the injury to Mrs Phillips.

The trial continues.

David.

I saw that report too - pretty shocking - as you say not what you expect on a cruise.

I'm sure most of us have witnessed some fairly selfish/unsociable behaviour from time to time on a cruise like queue jumping, saving loungers for hours, failure to sanitise, talking through a show - all manner of things which aren't in the spirit of living harmoniously with your fellow passengers- there is absolutely no excuse for violence.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the case but Thomson must have felt satisfied that the events/facts were sufficient to kick the guy off the ship! :eek:

It's in our local paper today. Whatever the outcome of the trial, it sounds awful.

However, can I ask a question? Should the Celebration not have been somewhere in the Carribean in January 2014, not Lanzarote, or did I miss something?

It's in our local paper today. Whatever the outcome of the trial, it sounds awful.

However, can I ask a question? Should the Celebration not have been somewhere in the Carribean in January 2014, not Lanzarote, or did I miss something?

I thought that too when I read it Tizzy-Jo, but realised the Celebration only started doing the Caribbean this winter just gone, 2014-15

II'm sure most of us have witnessed some fairly selfish/unsociable behaviour from time to time on a cruise like queue jumping, saving loungers for hours, failure to sanitise, talking through a show - all manner of things which aren't in the spirit of living harmoniously with your fellow passengers- there is absolutely no excuse for violence.

Sadly, this is what happens when they discount cruises.

It doesnt matter what cruise line, it happens to all when they heavily discount.

You get the lowest of the low, and its hard to imagine that people who behave like this should be allowed to cruise again in the future.

They should be on a list of banned persons from ever cruising again.

truly awful behaviour.

As mentioned on this, and other forums, I too have often booked a cheepo cruise at the last minute, and had a ball of a time.

I am saddened in the direction that cruising is gone.

Carnival / RCCL/ and to a smaller extent TUI operate 90% of the crusing market, split between their different brands.

Its just that there is a type of person who should not be allowed to step on a ship.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is sad

How do you know the accused paid a discount fare? He might have occupied a suite and paid full price. Discount fares cause a lack of sanitising? I don't think so. Some of the most disgusting people i have met on a cruise ship were 'posh', and wanted everyone to know it. However, he did not wash his hands.

Edited by davecttr

It used to be that Thomson had a security team visible on the ship at all times and the only problem we encountered was on a discounted cruise from Southampton many years ago on the Spirit when two families were constantly fighting and the culmination was that one went overboard at about 2am lifeboat launch and both families put off the ship at next port.:(

How do you know the accused paid a discount fare? He might have occupied a suite and paid full price.

It used to be that Thomson had a security team visible on the ship at all times

Security being visible at all times is a great way of making sure that People behave themselves. It wont prevent bad behaviour,, but ensure that people are aware that security are near by.

Lynn knows these things.

"Sadly, this is what happens when they discount cruises.

It doesnt matter what cruise line, it happens to all when they heavily discount."

What a load of rubbish!

Should everyone on a cruise expect to be knocked unconscious just because some passengers have paid a lower price than the brochure?

weve only seen trouble on one cruise out of 30+ we've done and it wasn't a cheap cruise in any shape or form and I take it never went to court or my witness statement was enough as I was never called.

But the security head told me that something if not more than one thing happened every week that could land someone in court - were just not around when it happens

The man was found not guilty, so I wonder if Thomson will now refund him his money since he was forced to disembark and presumably make his own way home?

Very interesting point! It would be very interesting to find out too - wonder if we'll ever hear.

There are always two sides to a story though .......... with no independent witnesses perhaps it is difficult to determine which version is most accurate although the guy did agree that he did hit the other person in self defence.

But what intrigues me is how someone with limited mobility requiring a crutch to assist walking could carry two cups of cocoa from the self service to the cabin. Apparently it was a unanimous verdict of not guilty so the jury must have found some holes in the prosecution case. Wouldn't have minded being at court to hear that one.

In looking it up on line though I must say how a headline in the DM was so judgemental, emotive and rather provocative in it's language obviously having decided on the rights and wrongs of the case before it was put to the jury. But then again that's newspapers! Wonder how they will report the verdict! :rolleyes:

Edited by kruzseeka

I noticed that too, about the cups of cocoa :rolleyes:

Mind you I have seen people with sticks tucked under their arms carrying trays full of food to the buffet!

Now I'm not getting at genuinely disabled people here, but there are those who are perfectly able bodied, dancing about in the evenings, who suddenly need a wheelchair when then get to the airport :rolleyes: I wonder why? ;)

One thing I did notice was that they were referred to as elderly and she was 69 and he was 70. Well I'm 66 and don't consider myself elderly. We have a friend who is 85 and I don't think he does either :D:D

I did read that he was holding two cups in one hand. The defendant admitted that he did hit the injured man in self defence. As well as making a claim against Thomson for travelling expenses, does it also mean he can bring a claim against the couple for attacking him as he hit back in self defence? :rolleyes:

Here is the local newspaper report.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/12909076.Man_cleared_of_attacking_couple_on_cruise_ship/

A couple of things

1. How did this end up in in British court when it occurred outside Lanzorote. Even if its flying a british flag were they not in Spanish waters?

2. There were a lot of comments against this man online before the verdict which is a shame.

3. I wish I was able to sit in the public gallery to hear the evidence. The "elderly" wife broke two vertebrae but he denied ever touching her.

4. The couple claimed the attack was totally unprovoked. The defendant claimed there had been bad blood over him sitting on their table and an argument ensued with him having hot chocolate and a stick thrown at him

5. What has cut price cruising got to do with it. The only thing I've noticed from that it people complaining about how the bargain hunters are the cause of everything that is wrong about a cruise ship or company. Its only cheap because the cruise company made it cheap, because they have too many ships to fill.

Situations like this can easily develop. I have had one incident, where someone manoeuvred her wheelchair over my elderly fathers foot and then went into hysterical giggling when she thought he had hobbled off far enough. I saw red went up to her and said it would be even funnier if she was thrown out the chair and left crawling on the floor. It could have easily escalated further and I am sure a young male insulting a female wheelchair

user off would never look good.

Edited by ukkid

there are those who are perfectly able bodied, dancing about in the evenings, who suddenly need a wheelchair when then get to the airport I wonder why?

That is one great observation. Have noticed this myself, many times.

More than likely you will see them on those shows on channel 5 about cheating welfare.

What has cut price cruising got to do with it.

See above

Again, let me repeat, I have taken many cheapo cruises in the past, and had a ball in the process.

I have not punched anyone, asked to use a wheelchair or caused disturbance.

Lynn is a Lady

Just found this on the BBC site about court case where two pensioners were attacked. Not what you expect when you take a cruise.

A man accused of attacking two frail Middlesbrough pensioners on a holiday cruise told police he acted in self-defence, a court has heard.

Ron Phillips, 70, was repeatedly punched as he took cocoa back to the cabin he shared with his wife June, 68, Teesside Crown Court was told.

The couple were on an all-inclusive cruise off Lanzarote when the alleged attack occurred in January 2014.

Graeme Finlay, 53, from Glasgow, denies unlawful wounding.

The court heard Mr Phillips, who has had a hip replacement, was knocked out during the incident and his wife was later found to have suffered fractured two vertebrae after being shoved against a wall.

Mr Finlay, of Meadowside Quay Walk, told police he hit Mr Phillips in self-defence, but he denied attacking his wife during the cruise on board the Thomson Celebration.

'Limited mobility'

Mr Phillips claimed he was carrying their two mugs of cocoa back to their cabin when he was punched in the corridor. His wife had gone before him and was holding the door open.

He said: "I turned my head to the left and the next thing I knew, I was coming to on the floor with various people around me."

He needed six stitches to a head wound and was treated by the ship's medical staff.

The court heard the couple had been assisted by the crew to get on board the cruise ship as they both had "limited mobility".

Lewis Kerr, prosecuting, said Mrs Phillips had seen her husband being punched several times and that when she went to his aid, she was pushed against a wall leaving her unconscious.

Mr Kerr said after the attack, the crew found blood stains in Mr Finlay's cabin and he was "disembarked" from the cruise.

Mr Finlay, who also denies causing grievous bodily harm, was questioned by police in the UK and said there had been an argument that night, and accepted he hit Mr Phillips, but did not accept causing the injury to Mrs Phillips.

The trial continues.

David.

Reported today, the accused was found not guilty

Once again, why do we only know the name and details of the innocent man and not those that falsely made the accusation?

This happens time and time again. The mans life could have been ruined because of this after his personal information was plastered across the internet.

Does not seem fair to me.

[quote name='P&O Lynn Knickers;46352751

Sadly' date=' this is what happens when they discount cruises

[/color']

It doesnt matter what cruise line, it happens to all when they heavily discount.

You get the lowest of the low, and its hard to imagine that people who behave like this should be allowed to cruise again in the future.

They should be on a list of banned persons from ever cruising again.

truly awful behaviour.

As mentioned on this, and other forums, I too have often booked a cheepo cruise at the last minute, and had a ball of a time.

I am saddened in the direction that cruising is gone.

Carnival / RCCL/ and to a smaller extent TUI operate 90% of the crusing market, split between their different brands.

Its just that there is a type of person who should not be allowed to step on a ship.

Must be about the dumbest comments I've read on this Thomsons forum.

The accused was found not guilty.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Must be about the dumbest comments I've read on this Thomsons forum..

As you mentioned, the accused man was found "Not guilty", and therefore his legal team must have put a good case to have the charges overturned.

The HM courts have the final say, and you may find it "Dumb", but it I am not not aware of it being appealed. is it ?

Your bestie

Laura,

You clearly misunderstood.

"The HM courts have the final say, and you may find it "Dumb", but it I am not not aware of it being appealed. is it ?"

It's not the court decision that I'm commenting on - rather the prejudiced and ignorant judgemental comments highlighted in red that I find objectionable.