Upgrade Call - Any Thoughts

dresterj

I just got a call from Carnival offering an upgrade on Splendor (8 days) from our balcony (8B - room 7443 - I think it's a longer balcony and odd shaped room) to an Ocean Suite for $500. It's a larger room (185 vs. 275 sq ft) and balcony. It's our honeymoon so it would be nice to upgrade to suite but wonder if it's a good price. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off - Congratulations :D!!!

Second - I think more a factor than the price is how much are you going to use the extra space. I am assuming since it is your honeymoon you will be spending a little extra time in the cabin ;), but is that enough to justify the extra $ to you.

I have had one of those "L" shaped rooms with the extra long balcony before and absolutely loved it. The extra space on the balcony was fantastic! Our only complaint was that since it was on the very back of the ship, it was a long walk to anything we wanted to do in the front.

I know I couldn't help on if $500 was a good price or not, but I wanted to share my point of view and maybe it will help.

Thanks for the quick responses. The $500 is for both of us (i.e. $250 per person). The extra room space would just be nice not necessary.

I cannot find anywhere that provides the square footage of our current balcony so I cannot say how much additional space it would be.

The thing the we like most is the bathroom - dressing room, two sinks, and jetted tub.

Jgilbert813,

Thanks for info on the room. When I was booking I could not find much about others experience with that type of room. Perhaps I was not looking in the right places or doing the right searches.

First off - Congratulations :D!!!

Second - I think more a factor than the price is how much are you going to use the extra space. I am assuming since it is your honeymoon you will be spending a little extra time in the cabin ;), but is that enough to justify the extra $ to you.

I have had one of those "L" shaped rooms with the extra long balcony before and absolutely loved it. The extra space on the balcony was fantastic! Our only complaint was that since it was on the very back of the ship, it was a long walk to anything we wanted to do in the front.

I know I couldn't help on if $500 was a good price or not, but I wanted to share my point of view and maybe it will help.

I would try to "rebook" the room on Carnival.com to see how much that suite really is. For all you know, it could be $1500 more - and that would be an amazing savings! I did this when they called me two weeks ago to upgrade from ocean view to a balcony. Saved over $300, which is nice since I was considering upgrading anyway.

This way, you'll know how much of a deal you are getting.

Personally, for your Honeymoon, I would seriously consider it if you have the money. (Or you can spend that money on excursions and/or drinks).

Congratulations!

The two upgrades I took were from an inside to a Balcony for almost the exact amount I had in OBC from price drop and from a balcony to spa balcony for $25 a day.

The pricing for me fit as well as the amenity upgrade I got.

If it was me, the price is too much for what more they are giving you. Yes it is a special trip, congratulations, but you could use that for a couples massage if that is your thing.

Just my opinion your mileage may vary.

FWIW

You can find the spec information on all cabins by following this link:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/the_fleet/splendor/splendor.ashx

JUST CLICK ON THE MENU ON THE LEFT-HAND SIDE FOR THE STATEROOM DIMENSIONS

Just look up the appropriate cabin category for each of the cabins you are looking at.

8B rooms have a 35sq ft balcony

OS rooms vary from 65sq ft to 110sq ft balconies.

Edited by esdoorn

We were offered the same price on our March Dream cruise. We had an aft balcony and they offered us a suite for $500 more. I felt it was to high. If it was a couple hundred dollars less then I would have said yes. Have to feel like I am getting a bargain! lol

Congratulations on your marriage!

Patti

Edited by pittypat

Good suggestion - I did that and the current ocean suite price is only $20 more total than if we paid our current balcony rate plus $500 for upgrade. Thus, at current market value the upgrade is not a bargain.

We will pass unless they come back later with a cheaper price. I'm not holding my breath.

I would try to "rebook" the room on Carnival.com to see how much that suite really is. For all you know, it could be $1500 more - and that would be an amazing savings! I did this when they called me two weeks ago to upgrade from ocean view to a balcony. Saved over $300, which is nice since I was considering upgrading anyway.

This way, you'll know how much of a deal you are getting.

Personally, for your Honeymoon, I would seriously consider it if you have the money. (Or you can spend that money on excursions and/or drinks).

Congratulations!

Edited by dresterj

Interesting dilemma. Well, it definitely is a upgrade. You would be moving from a odd shape cabin with a huge balcony way aft to a Ocean suite mid ship. Both have the same balcony sq ft of 65 sq ft. The only downside to your current cabin is it all the way aft. Walking that long corridor does get old after a while and since it way aft you will feel more movement vs a midship suite cabin. Since it your honeymoon and its an a suite mid ship I would personally take it if it within your budget. It's only $250/pp. That's a deal to me. But what you have is pretty nice and so unique it's really a win/win plus you have the $500 to spend on board. It's a hard call and only one and your fiance can make that decision. Just my two cent. Also...congratulation.

I just got a call from Carnival offering an upgrade on Splendor (8 days) from our balcony (8B - room 7443 - I think it's a longer balcony and odd shaped room) to an Ocean Suite for $500. It's a larger room (185 vs. 275 sq ft) and balcony. It's our honeymoon so it would be nice to upgrade to suite but wonder if it's a good price. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Do they leave a message to call back, if you are unavailable when they happen to call?

Thanks

I think we are on the same cruise in the "L" shaped room on the port side. We also received an upgrade call today - to an Ocean Suite. We are not going to take the upgrade as we enjoy being in the aft end of the ship - nice a quiet. At $500 it is not worth it to us to move. (I also think these "L" shaped rooms have a larger balcony than the Ocean Suite. I am not 100% positive but it looks bigger.)

While the extra space in the cabin would be nice we spend our time on the balcony and aft pool area.

Congratulations!

We got the upgrade call for our Splendor cruise today too. Ours was for $600 total for an 8C balcony to a Grand Suite, and we decided to take it. We doubled our room and balcony size plus now we will have VIP check in and priority embarkation/debarkation. We have a group of 4 and the bigger room was definitely a huge factor in our decision to take the deal.

Do they leave a message to call back, if you are unavailable when they happen to call?

I answered the phone when he called. So there was no message. He did send me an email with his phone number and extension. Therefore, I could call back if I thought it over and decided to pay for the upgrade.

We got an email no phone call this week, but we upgraded from an ocean view to an Ocean Suite mid ship on the Victory 5/2.. For $360.00 total.. We jumped on that .. The extra space will be nice , but I hope I can go back to being in smaller cabins again[emoji6] we are traveling without our kids this time.. We are a family of 5.. So we never get upgrade calls! This was our 1st one ever.

We got an email no phone call this week, but we upgraded from an ocean view to an Ocean Suite mid ship on the Victory 5/2.. For $360.00 total.. We jumped on that .. The extra space will be nice , but I hope I can go back to being in smaller cabins again[emoji6] we are traveling without our kids this time.. We are a family of 5.. So we never get upgrade calls! This was our 1st one ever.

That's sounds like a much better deal than I was offered. I would have taken your offer as well.

That's sounds like a much better deal than I was offered. I would have taken your offer as well.

But I think it was only cheaper cause I'm going on a 5 day cruise, for the 8 day you probably were charged more $$.., which seems for 8 days is a good deal too.

Are upgrade calls made to those who booked at specific room, guaranteed room, or both?! I booked an inside guaranteed room and I'm wondering how they pick who they are going to offer an upgrade to?! :)

We would all love to know how it is done--one of the mysteries of the cruise world.

Edited by mizlorinj