Help - Any info on Retreat on Veendam? Pictures would be awesome

1620rock

We are thinking of booking the Veendam to Bermuda in June. This would be our first HAL cruise and I am looking for information on the Retreat. The HAL website does not give very good ship specific photos of this area. Is the Retreat for all passengers or only for those that book cabanas? Or is there a fee for Retreat and a different fee for the cabana? If you book a cabana for the fee you get the cabana and what else? Do you get a credit for beverage service with the cabana like NCL offers if you book a cabana in Spice/Posh? I did a search but found differing reports regarding the pool in this area. Anyone recent cruisers that have info and or photos it would be greatly appreciated.

We are thinking of booking the Veendam to Bermuda in June. This would be our first HAL cruise and I am looking for information on the Retreat. The HAL website does not give very good ship specific photos of this area. Is the Retreat for all passengers or only for those that book cabanas? Or is there a fee for Retreat and a different fee for the cabana? If you book a cabana for the fee you get the cabana and what else? Do you get a credit for beverage service with the cabana like NCL offers if you book a cabana in Spice/Posh? I did a search but found differing reports regarding the pool in this area. Anyone recent cruisers that have info and or photos it would be greatly appreciated.

Retreat on Veendam is not "Retreat" that has the cabanas like on other ships. It's a totally separate, cabana-free concept (yes, it's very confusing)

But to answer your questions, here are some pictures... what you see is what you get. The entire area is open to all passengers. And YES, I know. The pictures are huge

VEDM+Retreat+2.0.jpg

1585r1h.jpg

The rotterdam "retreat" is quite different.
On the Veendam they tried to repair their V1.0 wading-pool mistake by replacing it with V2.0 hot tubs. When that turned out no better, they didn't waste more money on the Rotterdam.

For the quick responses and pics. So reàlly not so much a retreat just a sun deck with whirlpools. Oh well not what I imagined but as we live 15 minutes from the port we may give the Veendam a try. Some great deals on an inside for May but latest reviews fir ship are not so good. Some engine and plumbing issues. Went on NCL Dawn last year and enjoyed Bermuda but service on Dawn was terrible and herds of roving teens. Wish they would send the Jewel to Boston nice ship and crew were terrific.

THANK you for those photos!! These are the first I've seen of the way Veendam ACTUALLY looks NOW. Everywhere I've searched I've only seen photos of the previous incarnation of the "retreat". Everyone seems to hate it, before and after, but, I actually think this new one with the hot tubs looks quite nice... !

I'll be on Veendam next week going to Bermuda, and I'm looking forward to seeing this in person. I assume I'll get what's wrong with it once I've experienced it... but the photos make it look kind of cool. I like the idea of sitting in an elevated hot tub (the Vistas have hot tubs next to the Sea View pool, but they are back by the bar - not a great view..

Anyway, does anyone who has been on Veendam recently have anything good to say about the "retreat"? Just sayin'...

LOL, I had to edit twice - noticed I said "Volendam instead of Veendam"... it's hard to keep track - I have two cruised booked at the moment! (life is tough...)

Edited by Moriah

Though I didn't use the hot tubs, spent a good amount of time out there. Nice place to have lunch in good weather and always plenty of loungers. Not usually very crowded (though it was during the Mexico portion of our cruise.) One of the more quiet places on the ship especially in the evening. Nice little bar on one side and pizza on the other. Enjoy your cruise.