Amtrak Vancouver to Seattle Questions

ROCruiser

We will be taking the Amtrak afternoon train on May 2 from Vancouver to Seattle, actually we will get off at the Everett station. What is the procedure to claim our checked baggage when we arrived at that station?

After reading through the threads I understand that the conductor will assign seats when boarding. Would it be appropriate to ask for seats on the right side so we can have the ocean view? Will the conductor get upset if we ask?:eek:

Your bags will be available shortly after the train arrives - I can't recall where they set them at Everett.

They will assign seats at the station in Vancouver before boarding. The conductor will not be offended if you ask for seats on the right.

Enjoy your ride!

Even if you don't get seats on the right you can get up and move around. Often times there are empty seats you can move to, and then just return to your seats when they come around to count or for border crossing.

The conductor assigns the seats on the right side (water side) first, so if you want that side you need to be near the front of the line. The line starts to form under the clock around 4pm or 4:15-ish. When you start to see people lining up, it is time for you to get in line.

Everett is my "home" station. You will pick up your checked bags from the baggage cart directly on the platform within 10 minutes (often less) after the train arrives. Unlike the airlines and like all Amtrak stations, the agent will check your baggage stub before they will release your bag to you.

You must be in your ASSIGNED seat at the US Customs check in Blaine. If you decide to actually move to another seat (as opposed to sitting in the cafe or bistro for awhile), you must at minimum take the seat check with you (small piece of card stock that the conductor will have written "EVR" on and placed above your seats) and post it above your newly claimed seats. Be aware that not all doors will be opened at Everett, and the conductor will have assigned you to a car that will be opened. Also, some conductors (not all by any means) do not take kindly to people moving themselves. Don't argue with the conductor (about anything), he or she is the "captain of the ship" and has the authority to put you off the train.

Edited by zephyr17

Wow! Thank you all, for the quick answers and advice.

Zephyr17, we will be taking the train from Seattle to L.A. May 8. I assume we can take the commuter train (?) from Everett to King Street Station early that morning to make the connection, correct?

Zephyr17, we will be taking the train from Seattle to L.A. May 8. I assume we can take the commuter train (?) from Everett to King Street Station early that morning to make the connection, correct?

Yes, take any of the first four departures in the morning from Everett. You actually have to make sort of an awkward walk from one platform to another to go the eight feet you really need to go, but even the one that leaves Everett at 7:15 gets into King Street in plenty of time (8:15) to hook up to the 9:35 Coast Starlight departure.

You certainly can, I've done that several times, I target the 6:45 am departure just because I am not a morning person and if I miss it, there's another at 7:15.

What VibeGuy was talking about is that the Amtrak platforms and King Street Station itself are not directly accessible from the Sounder platforms. You have to exit the Sounder platforms by going up to the pedestrian bridge over the tracks. There is an elevator past the stairs at the end of the platform, it isn't obvious and most people will be taking the stairs, but it is there. Once up on the overpass, follow the signs to Amtrak, down the stairs or elevator at the west end of the overpass, then walk a little way up to the station. And wind up about 8 feet from where you started, as VibeGuy pointed out.

Finally, just FYI, you cannot by a ticket from the conductor on the Sounder. Buy a ticket before you board at one of the vending machines on the platform.

Edited by zephyr17

Business class coaches are closer to the station doors at both ends of the journey, and have a separate seat assignment queue that is much easier to cope with, but checked baggage service is not really prioritized.

The conductor assigns the seats on the right side (water side) first, so if you want that side you need to be near the front of the line. The line starts to form under the clock around 4pm or 4:15-ish. When you start to see people lining up, it is time for you to get in line.

Not entirely true. We were second inline on the SB trip and asked if possible to get water side and we got the opposite side. Not sure if he was having a bad day or what. Needless to say we moved and just went back to our assigned seat for border crossing.