How warm is it on Scandinavia & Russia cruise in July/August?

sumguy1

I was looking up the Scandinavia and Russia cruise, and fortunately I found the weather section on the website which indicates the average temp in these areas around 16C/62F in July and August. Has anyone been on this cruise in summer? How warm does it get? Was a light jacket needed all the time? I assume it is colder when the ship is sailing, are the swimming pools warm or cold? Thanks

We went last year, June 26-July 9 I think, and I never wore the jacket I took. I wore my sweater most morning (I think) with a short sleeve shirt under it, and by mid morning or so, I took off sweater! The day we were in St Pete, we went back to ship for lunch and it was so warm I changed to shorts! We live in Indiana, not sure where you are from. Some mornings started at 57 degree, highs in low 70s or high 60s. I think we had exceptional weather, not much rain. I would take a light jacket, sweater, and short sleeves, and umbrella. Be prepared for anything! It's a great cruise!!! Have fun.

Our cruise was two weeks in July! It was very warm. Normal summer clothes were needed in the daytime. At night it would get a bit cool. It's hard not to stay up very late because we were still able to see the sun at 3:00 AM. ~~ Really Amazing thing to see! ~~

The day we were in St.Pete it was 84. Our tour guide was wearing a wool outfit as were many others. She told us that few people had clothes for warm weather since it only lasted about six weeks.....

Have a wonderful cruise! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Just back from the Baltic, on Oceania's Regatta, and the weather was with us.

Had been very rainy in that part of Europe in August, but we had mostly sun.

Did need a light windbreaker in Amersterdam, but other ports we were fine with shirt-sleeves.

I was looking up the Scandinavia and Russia cruise, and fortunately I found the weather section on the website which indicates the average temp in these areas around 16C/62F in July and August. Has anyone been on this cruise in summer? How warm does it get? Was a light jacket needed all the time? I assume it is colder when the ship is sailing, are the swimming pools warm or cold? Thanks

We were on the Star Princess Baltic sailing on 13th August. Weather was glorious and we did not wear a coat at any time. Some days it was warm enough to wear shorts but because a lot of the excursions involve visits to churches/cathedrals we had to dress appropriately i.e. trousers for men and either skirts or trousers for ladies. You will thoroughly enjoy the Baltic itinerary but be prepared for a very hectic schedule. As to your question about the swimming pools - they were like bath water and our favourite was the Terrace Pool (adults only!) but it did get a little windy there at the very aft of the ship.

If you are interested I have posted a review of our trip (from an English person's point of view) and it can be found at www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12469

A member of the Roll Call I joined for that sailing has also posted a review under the name of Sunprincess and she has also posted some superb photos of the trip which can be found at community.webshots.com/user/sunprincess8

I would recommend that you try and link up with a Roll Call for your sailing - I learned so much from other people and we all had a get-together on board which was organised by the cruise director. If you plough through the Roll Call Section there are a lot of threads on the Baltic itinerary which you will find very helpful.

Good Luck with the planning. You will have an awesome trip..

Regards from

Suron in Bristol, England.;)

A light jacket and/or a rain jacket is needed. You can never tell exactly what the weather will be like. We were there in mid-July. There was a heat wave in Copenhagen for our 3 days before sailing. We needed rain gear in Stockholm and St. Petersburg. It was cool some mornings and a light jacket/sweater was good to have.

We had awesome weather for our recent Baltic Cruise Aug. 13-23. Some days in the 80s.

(Suzanne, thanks for the plug on my review & photos ;) )

In talking with my friends on the ship it really can vary cruise to cruise.

I had gone prepared with umbrella & jackets. Never really needed them.

Although I did see people with jackets on. ??

The pools are warm enough to swim. There is also the indoor pool.

The Baltic is a port intensive cruise, but, well worth it.

Good Luck with your planning :)

We were on a Baltic cruise in August. As other have said - you never know. Our weather was absolutely beautiful mid to high 70s and low 80s. The best advise is to layer. Many of the buses, museums, palaces, etc. that you will visit do not have air conditioning and can be quite warm inside. If you have layers, you have options! There were MANY complaints about the temperature in the transfer buses.

That's like asking......did you have rough seas on your cruise. ;)

I used to live on the Baltic, and spent a lot of time in Scand and St Pete. We've had hot summers, with temps into the 80s and 90s. We've had cold and rainy summers, with day temps in the 40s. The average temps are 60s, maybe 70s.....but remember, whatever you plan for, that's not what you'll encounter. :rolleyes:

Unless you are asking for a weather forecast for the next 5-7 days, it's hard to predict.

We were there this summer, end of July and into August. We found that a light jacket was necessary, as was rain gear. Expect to take off the light jacket most days. We watched temperatures for the month or so prior, so had a good idea of what to expect. Do not forget to bring rain gear.

The cruise was wonderful, but very hectic. Really a lot of fun was had by all.

We went in 2000 and it was lovely and warm. You should have a light jacket or sweater for evenings, as you do on any cruise, as well as a rain jacket. The day we were in St. Petersburg it was very hot. Warm, but not terrible the rest of the way. Of course, the warm weather didn't prevent me from trying on every sweater in Tallin! :) . (I assume you do know to bypass those $$$ sweaters in Norway and wait until Tallin, don't you? )

Archived