Docking in Puerto Rico

If there is I'd be surprised. Swimming with dolphins is a pretty controversial activity usually held in the Caribbean because of the low animal rights requirements. Since Puerto Rico is a US territory they'd be subject to higher standards which would make it even more expensive than it already is and nobody would go, especially with the nearby competition at cheaper islands. Bahamas, Jamaica and Mexico have several of them.

I did a lot of research before my trip to Puerto Rico in November and didn't see any swim with the dolphins anywhere. Maybe check trip advisor? There are a lot of other fun things to do if you don't find this option! [emoji2]

If there is I'd be surprised. Swimming with dolphins is a pretty controversial activity usually held in the Caribbean because of the low animal rights requirements. Since Puerto Rico is a US territory they'd be subject to higher standards which would make it even more expensive than it already is and nobody would go, especially with the nearby competition at cheaper islands. Bahamas, Jamaica and Mexico have several of them.

Really????? You can do it in several places in Florida. First I've ever heard it's "controversial due to animal rights" or unavailable due to "higher standards".........:rolleyes: To OP, do a search online if there is a place to do it in PR I'm sure you can find it.

Edited by bouhunter

Really????? You can do it in several places in Florida. First I've ever heard it's "controversial due to animal rights" or unavailable due to "higher standards".........:rolleyes: To OP, do a search online if there is a place to do it in PR I'm sure you can find it.

Yes, really. It is controversial. Just like the Killer Whales at Seaworld, and the Elephants at the circus.

With over 4000 posts on CC I am surprised this is the first you've heard of this.

Here's some addition information for anyone who cares to make an educated decision:

http://www.responsiblevacation.com/copy/swimming-with-dolphins-the-experience-of-a-lifetime

Edited by sippican

I wasn't trying to start a debate about the ethics of the activity, but was speculating that the reason Puerto Rico probably doesn't have it is because of that reason. I'm surprised to hear Florida has it, but then again, they also have Sea World... That being said, yes, since you always look to turn any possible conversation into an opportunity to attack people and be condescending, here is some info. Google it, you'll find lots of info on the controversy. I'm surprised you're so shocked to hear it. http://www.ethicaltraveler.org/2014/09/swim-with-dolphins-tourist-trap-leads-to-travel-conference-boycott/

I've actually always thought swimming with dolphins would be cool and have considered doing one of these excursions in the past, so I'm not judging anyone for doing them. After hearing and reading recent news on the sad results of the captivity, I will continue to look for dolphins in the wild while scuba diving and save my $100 and not take the excursion. But that's a personal choice.

Edited by ColoradoGurl