Kids in separate room?

awarren114

Hi everyone! Has anyone ever booked separate rooms for you and your kids? I was thinking about booking connecting rooms or rooms across the hall from each other. My main concern would be safety (obviously) and Carnival's policy on this. Our kids will be 9 & 10 when we cruise for the first time and I trust them completely, but worry about other passengers realizing there are 2 kids in a room alone. I've read about others doing it on some other forums, but wanted your thoughts since I know there's a lot of very experienced cruisers here.

Thanks!

@Amber, yes we would be spending the day with them. The idea of having 2 bathrooms really appeals to me. It appears as if Carnival's policy allows separate rooms as long as they're right across the hall. Since we were looking for a balcony room, they couldn't be in a connection room. Carnival doesn't allow anyone under a certain age in a balcony room alone.

We booked 2 cabins when our kids were 15, 12, 10 and 8 and once on the ship, switched it out so the kids were together and we had our own room. It was FABULOUS! They weren't connecting -- in fact I think they were about 3 rooms away-- but there were no problems at all and the kids had a blast!! The kids all signed a "contract" so to speak and did not betray our trust at all and we felt very safe with the rules we laid out. The hardest part was that, due to their ages, they were all in different kids' programs that all met at different times and different places -- pretty much just like at home-- RUN RUN RUN!

Thanks TamNMike! I think if we can find rooms across the hall from each other, we will go for it. We've never had any issues with them being disrespectful or disobeying. Plus I figure they'll be so tired from running around all day that they'll probably fall asleep the minute they get in bed!

We are booked in 2 balcony rooms with connecting balconies, but not rooms (there were none available when we booked) - my kids are 10, 8 and 3. (going on Sunshine in July)

Our PVP found the best rooms for us and priced out the differences between 2 balconies and 1 balcony and 1 inside. We ultimately decided it would be cool to have 1 large balcony.

We are "officially booked" with one adult in each room (1 with 1 kid and 1 with 2 kids) but I think the two us will be with the 3 year old and the 10 and 8 year old will stay together.

My kids are trustworthy and having 2 bathrooms is a definite plus! (and in our case, 5 to a room isn't an option)

Hi everyone! Has anyone ever booked separate rooms for you and your kids? I was thinking about booking connecting rooms or rooms across the hall from each other. My main concern would be safety (obviously) and Carnival's policy on this. Our kids will be 9 & 10 when we cruise for the first time and I trust them completely, but worry about other passengers realizing there are 2 kids in a room alone. I've read about others doing it on some other forums, but wanted your thoughts since I know there's a lot of very experienced cruisers here.

Thanks!

I have done it multiple times. In order for the children to be booked in their own room , you need to call Carnival to book. If you book online, you need to have an adult booked in each room. It all depends upon your preference. You can go to guest services and get an extra key to your children's room upon boarding. Here are some guidelines I found:

Guest Policy

Quick Reference Guidelines

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own.

Guests under the age of 21 must travel with their “Parent”. A Parent can include Grandparents as well as a Court-Appointed Legal Guardian.

Ages 12 and under

Must travel in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above). If insisting on traveling in separate staterooms, minors must be directly across the hall or side-by-side to “Parents” stateroom. Document this exception: “Guest reqs separate staterooms”.

If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted.

If traveling in a balcony stateroom, minors must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above).

Ages 13 – 17

Must travel with a “Parent” (as listed above) in the same stateroom or separated by up to 3 staterooms down/across the hall.

If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted.

For ages 13 and under, if traveling in a balcony stateroom, must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above).

Ages 18 – 20

May travel in separate stateroom from the “Parent” (as listed above) beyond the 3 staterooms down/across the hall and including separate decks in cases where spoilage must be avoided. Always make every effort to assign nearby.

Ages 20 and under and NOT traveling with a “Parent” (as listed above)

Must travel in the same stateroom with an adult 25 years of age or older.

Group Bookings

If group consists of 8 or more staterooms under this condition, guests in those staterooms must pre-pay gratuites and those minors must pre-pay $100 damage deposit.

If group is not able to abide by our Minor Guest Guidelines, they must be referred to the tour operator holding space on that saildate. If no student space is held, provide both telephone numbers:

1) Straight A Tours/Festivals at Sea

407 896-1242 or 800 237-5440

2) Four Seasons Travel/Rock the Boat

407 654-2500 or 800 421-4159

Exceptions to our Minor Guest Guidelines

Legally married couple less than 21 years of age

Same-Gender Union couple less than 21 years of age

Qualified Military Personnel

Thanks!

We took our kids with us the first time and booked them in the room next door. They were 12 and 9. We set rules about not leaving the room and such. It was never an issue. I couldn't stay in one room with four people. For just the bathroom it was worth it to us.

Also- as stated above- to book them in their own room they have to fall within certain age restrictions. But you can split your booking to get around that. It just means you put your husband and one child in in one room and you in the other.

It depends upon your children as to whether they're ready for this liberty.

Our 2 kids went across the hall to an Interior at ages 17 and 15 and were very happy about it. By that age a little privacy both ways was a good thing. One year earlier we were all together in a balcony (4 total) and by the end of the week nerves had gotten frayed once or twice. I'm not sure what age I'd consider too young but certainly any driving age kids are more than old enough.

Funny. It allowed my wife and I to get to bed at a reasonable hour while they were 'closing' Club 02. We did have a curfew which they responsibly adhered to. (OK, one night my son pushed it by about 20 minutes. I let it go and never let him know that I heard him come in. Pick the battles.)

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm definitely leaning towards the separate rooms for a lot of reasons, but the main two would be privacy and bathrooms! I think it would save a lot of sanity and time having 2 bathrooms to get ready in and some extra space to spread out. The kids being responsible doesn't concern me really since they've never really gotten away with much :) I feel like it'll be worth the extra money!

Thanks!

We do now that my 3 kids are much older. My oldest is 17, and that is only connecting or directly across the hall. With your children being so young, I would only consider connecting and having the door between cabins open. I wouldn't feel comfortable not having quick and direct access to them. If space is a concern, the newer ships have rooms that may be a bit larger and have a second half bath in them. We sailed many years with all 5 (gasp!) of us in a cabin and survived enough to do it again :) Last year was the first time mine had their own cabin.

We always get connecting rooms. We book the boys (hubby and our 2 sons) in one room and the girls (myself and my daughter) in the other room) We leave the door open between the rooms. The kids slept in their room and we slept in our room. We have done this on the Magic and Dream and LOVE the deluxe oceanviews. 4 people can be taking a shower/brushing their teeth/whatever at the same time. very nice.

Plan to do this again on our next family cruise in 2016

I just booked 2 connecting staterooms a couple weeks ago, grands will be

6 & 8. Hubby is booked in one room and myself in the other. I'm am not sure how we'll sleep them, but the door can stay open. It was only 200.00 more to get 2 rooms vs having all of us in one room. No brainer for me to have some peace and space! :D

If you decide to have separate staterooms, please remind your kids not to let their door slam if they're going back and forth. Nothing more annoying than when we were the one cabin in the middle of a family group and they all went across and down the hall and doors slammed constantly.

Good tip! Also if you happen to put them in a room with bunks, remind them not to hang anything from the sprinkler head. My sons were in an upper/lower across from our balcony and our youngest hung his S&S card from it and set it off. Huge mess!

We had all 4 of us in one room for one cruise. That was the first and last time. Now we always get a balcony and they get the interior across the hall.

I'm no prude, nor am I a worrywart - that said - I think 10 is too young to be in a cabin that is not connected to a parent/traveling adult. And definitely too young to, in essence, be responsible for themselves AND a younger sibling by being alone in a cabin. Things happen. People are away from the familiar. Your children have never even been on a ship before. The door slamming is only one issue that will come up over and over.

I wouldn't do it.

Please reconsider. For safety alone.