Kids in separate room?

awarren114

I would have never done separate rooms across the hall at those ages while you can trust your kids you can't always trust other people! Mine are 16,13,9 &4 and we do connecting! I thought about a room across the hall but we were on a cruise once where a drunk man tried to get into my sisters room at night and she had to call security and my parents slept thru the whole thing! And she was 19! So a 9,10 yr old hear a knock at night and may think it's you and open the door and it could be a bad thing. I'm not trying to be a kill joy and it seems that you've already made your mind up but I would at least think about getting connecting for safety reasons. Somethings after they happen can't be undone ;)

Of all our cruises, we only had our kids in our room with us once. It was on Louis Cruise lines and they were on a 4-day, "kids sail free" program. Last month we left our daughter at home (attending classes in university) and took our son with us for a cruise from LA to Puerto Vallarta/Cabo San Lucas. The three of us shared a room.

Other than that, I wouldn't have my kids in the same cabin. That is not my idea of a fun vacation, unless your kids are mature enough to realize that they need to make themselves scarce at regular intervals, or are so young that they are sleeping and have no idea what's going on when you need them to.

That said, the first time we took our kids with us on a cruise, they were 14 and 11. They were in the cabin next door. I can't remember if it was adjoining or not. The balconies were adjoining.

We are booked for a second time with our two children in a separate room. My kids first cruise with their own room were 7 and 14. We are booked again with separate rooms in June on the Sunshine, a balcony for us and a inside across the hall for the kids. The second bath, space and privacy is definitely worth it. I place a baby monitor in both room so we can hear them at night for a peace of mind. Every parent knows their children, so others don't judge...

The first cruise we took the kids on, they had their own cabin. It was adjoining and wasn't much more money to have the extra space and extra bathroom. Last year we were in a Grand scenic so no need for two cabins. That room was huge. This year my sister is joining us as she usually does. The kids will be in an aft balcony with her while we have an oceanview across the hall. Great thing is our room has a quad set up, so they can really sleep in either room.

Four in a room is not comfortable to me. I would consider it only if no other options worked and the trip was short. I love the idea of a baby monitor for peace of mind. There's plenty of opportunity to be together as a family. I don't need to be jammed in a room 185 sq. ft. with 4 people to make it a family vacation. You know whether or not your kids can handle it. Mine can. Can't worry about the boogeyman. lol. To each his or her own. We prefer two rooms in most cases.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I should also mention, given the cost of air travel, as well as the cost of port activities, ship charges, auto-tips, hotel on at least one side of the trip, the cost of the extra cabin is not all that significant to the overall cost of the trip. Our last cruise with both kids was a B2B for us, and our teenage kids joined us for the second cruise. If they had shared our cabin, it would have reduced the total cost of the trip from $15.5k to something like $14k or $14.5k. Again, for such a small difference, why make your cruise so much less fun in certain key aspects?

Edited by T. Advisor King

What class ship are you looking to book on? If it is a Spirit class ship then there are a few (very few) Balcony rooms that connect to an inside cabin via a pass through door. The balcony is the last balcony at the bow of the ship on some decks. The connecting inside is tucked up under the bow of the ship. You get two bathrooms and the security of having a door to open between the rooms to keep an eye on the kids. You loose a couch in each room. The couch would normally go where the connecting door is.

Look at the deck plans of the Spirit class ships. We booked this set-up for our first cruise. Now the kids are 20 and 21 and get their own balcony.

I don't think any other class of ships has this set up, but it would definitely be worth looking carefully at deck plans

We always booked two cabins next door to each other when we traveled with our kids. We never booked a balcony until we started traveling without them. Our first cruise, they were 10, 15 & 18. Most likely I would not have ever booked them in a balcony for fear of the youngest doing something silly & going overboard - my son did things that his sister never thought of doing.

My family always booked two connecting cabins . We have a family of six though so the kids would have one room and mom and dad the other room we would call each other on cabin phones. Leave post it notes and we had two dry erase boards to leave notes so we could keep track of every one.

I have no idea what you are talking about, just because my kids were in the room next to mine, with the door open, etc. did not mean I did not know where they were. Two cabins is smaller than most hotel rooms, and my kids don't sneak out, etc. Strange comment

I don't know that anyone ever said they'd be "roaming freely." It sounds like a lot of people put their kids in connecting rooms. I'm not worried about them wandering off or making bad decisions.

I have no idea what you are talking about, just because my kids were in the room next to mine, with the door open, etc. did not mean I did not know where they were. Two cabins is smaller than most hotel rooms, and my kids don't sneak out, etc. Strange comment

That poster is always negative, always degrading, always putting down Carnival or its passengers in some shape or form. Some people are just miserable.

Make a note to yourself: the ignore feature works great on this page.;)

Hi everyone! Has anyone ever booked separate rooms for you and your kids? I was thinking about booking connecting rooms or rooms across the hall from each other. My main concern would be safety (obviously) and Carnival's policy on this. Our kids will be 9 & 10 when we cruise for the first time and I trust them completely, but worry about other passengers realizing there are 2 kids in a room alone. I've read about others doing it on some other forums, but wanted your thoughts since I know there's a lot of very experienced cruisers here.

Thanks!

I have been cruising with my children since they were 5 and 8 . They are now 24 and 21 and still cruise. they always stayed with us in a cabin for 4 . I actually never thought about the ajoining cabin ?? I am not sure why? Lol! In reference to the poster who said for the them "to roam freely" . I can tell you what worked for us extremely well. When they were 9 and up to when they were 16 we took Walkie/talkies with us. They were cheap ones with a few miles coverage and they would tell us every time they left the kids club and where they were and it also made them secure in finding us so they were not looking everywhere. I am not sure what the rule is now but back then they could sign themselves in and out of kids club at age 9 so this way I knew where they were . I think I bought them for 20 bucks a set. Just a suggestion especially being their first cruise. It was the best money I spent for cruising . We had an incident back when my daughter was 14 . She radioed to tell me she was going back to cabin. When I got there she was there. At 3am we received a call from a histerical dad asking if my daughter knew where his 14 year old daughter was? My daughter had been hanging with her most of week. I woke my daughter up and she said no she told her she was going back to her room. My whole family got up and went looking for her . She was found on the lido deck with some older kids! She was ok but I think she was grounded for rest of her life !!!

The Wilkie/ talkies just give you a piece of mind. Well they did me anyway.

Just a suggestion . They might have more up to date technology now but you get my drift. :)

Hi everyone! Has anyone ever booked separate rooms for you and your kids? I was thinking about booking connecting rooms or rooms across the hall from each other. My main concern would be safety (obviously) and Carnival's policy on this. Our kids will be 9 & 10 when we cruise for the first time and I trust them completely, but worry about other passengers realizing there are 2 kids in a room alone. I've read about others doing it on some other forums, but wanted your thoughts since I know there's a lot of very experienced cruisers here.

Thanks!

We got connecting cabins a few times but based on the ages (same as ours when we got the connecting rooms) I don't like the idea of across the hall. I like the connecting rooms better than a suite and it worked very well. Two bathrooms, two sets of closets, etc. and some privacy for Mom and Dad too.

We went on the sunshine last summer and my kids were 10 and 13 at the time. We had connecting oceanviews. It was great, we left the door propped a lot and gave us tons of room. We also let the 13 year old have pretty free roam within reason and the 10 year old was very restricted, no issues. This was also their first cruise.

We are trying out across the hall next year in Europe. They will be 12 and 15.

Our kids were 12 and 16 on their first cruise and they had their room separate from us. Even though 9 and 10 seem a bit young to me for their own rooms, I would definitely do connecting rooms at that age. However, it is what your family feels comfortable with and that is what matters. You will get various opinions, of course.

the rules are clear, please follow them...NO, your children cannot be a in a room by themselves...thank you.

Incorrect

Ages 12 and under

Must travel in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above). If insisting on traveling in separate staterooms, minors must be directly across the hall or side-by-side to “Parents” stateroom. Document this exception: “Guest reqs separate staterooms”..

If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted..

If traveling in a balcony stateroom, minors must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above)..

Ages 13 – 17

Must travel with a “Parent” (as listed above) in the same stateroom or separated by up to 3 staterooms down/across the hall..

If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted..

For ages 13 and under, if traveling in a balcony stateroom, must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above)..

FWIW I've done non joining rooms for my kids as young as 10. We'd get another set of keys for their room and our room for them. We'd tuck them in the evening, check on them at least once our twice later in the evening. We'd be up earlier and often have sitdown breakfast and then have the steward bring breakfast in for them in our balcony cabin...

Incorrect

Ages 12 and under

Must travel in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above). If insisting on traveling in separate staterooms, minors must be directly across the hall or side-by-side to “Parents” stateroom. Document this exception: “Guest reqs separate staterooms”..

If traveling in a balcony stateroom, minors must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above)..

Ages 13 – 17

Must travel with a “Parent” (as listed above) in the same stateroom or separated by up to 3 staterooms down/across the hall..

For ages 13 and under, if traveling in a balcony stateroom, must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above)..

Shhh.. don't let facts and everyone's evidence who has done it before get in the way of someone's personal opinion about "the way things should be".

Makeda, it is following the rules, kids are allowed in separate staterooms, with some provisions, can only be OV or below (on carnival) if 12 or under, must be next door or directly across the hall if under a certain age, etc. why do you say it's not following the rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk