Which hotel for port of Miami? Any free shuttle?

arubanut

I just stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, excellent location. $13 cab ride which took 10 minutes to the Pier. Bayside Marketplace across the street as well.

Just a word of caution. My mother was mugged right in front of this hotel. We were getting ready to go across the street at 10 in the morning to visit Bayside, when a guy came out of nowhere and grabbed her purse. My mom tried to hold on to it, and the guy grabbed her by the shoulders and slammed her against the sidewalk, fracturing her arm and cutting her head open. It was horrific to witness.

I know that this kind of thing can happen anywhere, but I'm sharing this story so that people don't let heir guard down if they choose to stay at this, or any other downtown location. Even though Bayside is a touristy area, the streets right behind and and north of this Holiday Inn are not, with a pretty high crime rate.

Edited by Tapi

I kinda like the Blue Lagoon area. We stayed at Hampton Inn. Free airport shuttle. Shuttle to port was $10. Several drugs stores, restaurants, liquor store across the street.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That is horrible! I can attest that the area is kinda sketchy. When we walked down to the CVS at night, there were plenty of characters out and about. We definitely had our guard up. I didn't bring my purse at all, just put some money in my hubby's zip-up pockets for reasons like the poster above mentioned happened to them.

But, like another poster said, it can happen anywhere.

Looking for a Hotel w/ shuttle to port.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Flying into MIA - correct? :confused:

Only a handful of hotels out near the MIA airport offer free port shuttles. They may be okay if you are arriving late and just want a room - you will not be able to see/enjoy Miami from any. Check out La Quinta East, Embassy Suites MIA, and Springhill Suites Medical Center. All 3 are isolated -plan on delivery pizza if you want dinner.

Better hotels with free airport shuttles are found in the Blue Lagoon area near the airport and offer shopping and dining nearby - Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc. If a port shuttle is not included in your package figure on a paid shuttle for $12 each or a taxi for about $25-30.

Downtown hotels close to POM are about a $25 cab ride from the MIA airport; another $12+ cab will get you to your ship the next morning. Check out the Doubletree, Marriott, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn Mary Brickell.

We stay at La Quinta by the airport. Free parking & free shuttle to the port & taxi back(@$20). Nothing fancy, but clean & very reasonable.

when you say free and then @$20, what do you mean? I called and they charge $10 per person? Was shuttle to port free and taxi back was $20?

If parking isn't an issue, then I'd stay downtown. Skipping the idea of a "free" shuttle will open your choices. Most shuttles are provided at hotels where parking is needed. And you will be sort of in the middle of nowhere.

I'd rather be in the city and start my vacation looking at water, not a highway. Especially if you arrive with daytime to spend. You'll be able to pick up a tour, head to south beach etc. from downtown. ;)

So is it safe to say that the Blue Lagoon area is safest from what I'm reading?

For leaving your car? The Hampton Inn there is known for secured parking. I'd look there first. But the whole Blue lagoon airport area is certainly nicer than other Miami airport areas. There are other chains in this area too.

This is where we stayed before, price for room included free airport shuttle when we arrived and shuttle to port next morning. That was a few yrs ago though so check to make sure they still offer

Best Western On the Bay Inn & Marina

1819 79th Street Causeway, North Bay Village, FL, 33141

For leaving your car? The Hampton Inn there is known for secured parking. I'd look there first. But the whole Blue lagoon airport area is certainly nicer than other Miami airport areas. There are other chains in this area too.

Yes, I was looking for a "snooze & cruise" type package where we could leave our car. Thank you for your suggestion!

Before a cruise last month, a friend and I flew into MIA and stayed at the nearby Red Roof PLUS+ Miami Airport. The amenities were minimal, but the hotel did offer complimentary airport shuttle AND complimentary shuttle to the Port of Miami. There wasn't too much in the nearby vicinity as far as restaurants or grocery stores, but we had a night-time arrival so we just wanted a place to rest before the cruise. It suited that purpose.