Top sites on Kauai

travelbug771

Trying to Compile a list of Kauai's top sites to help plan our time in port. We will have a car. We have one full day to our with our car as the second day we are doing a flight tour

So far I have Waimea Canyon but not much else. I do have a guide book and have searched this site, but the amount of info is just so overwhelming.

What are the best things to see in your opinion!

We really enjoyed Kilauea Lighthouse & wildlife refuge and a ride down to Spouting Horn along with a stop for a Puka Dog...(amazing Hawaiian style sausage dog)

Can't wait to be there again in 8 days :D

Edited by TLC535

Hanalei town is very cool, feels like you're back in the 1960s

Wailua Falls is a double waterfall in the middle of nowhere. Take a good map.

Boat ride to the Na Pali coast to see the most amazing shoreline you'll ever see

We loved the drive up to Kauai's North Shore. We stopped at Poli'ahu heiau, Opakea'a Falls, Kilauea Wildlife Refuge, Hanalei Pier, Hanalei valley overlook, Lumaha'i beach, Ha'ena beach, the dry caves (across the street from Ha'ena- so cool!), and Ke'e beach, which is the very last beach before the NaPali cliffs start. Wonderful day!

Edited by greatlakesgirl

Hanalei town is very cool, feels like you're back in the 1960s

Wailua Falls is a double waterfall in the middle of nowhere. Take a good map.

Boat ride to the Na Pali coast to see the most amazing shoreline you'll ever see

Actually, Wailua Falls is a TRIPLE waterfall, but you can only see two of them from the roadside viewing area. See below for my view from the air - flight was with Wings Over Kauai.

420790934_WailuaFalls1.jpg.7781473e6ebf3ac964c47be89f706e23.jpg

Glass beach is a cool, quick stop on the way to/from waimea canyon. Just take pictures though, you're not supposed to take the glass (cause if everyone took glass there'd be no glass beach!)

~Katy

• 1 month later...

I spent a week in Kauaii 10 years ago and saw many of the sites being mentioned in this thread. The Nepali coast is tops! We backpacked on the Kalalau trail that runs along the coast and that was pretty amazing. If your short on time but enjoy hiking, you can do a day hike on it to the first beach and then inland to some falls. If hiking is not your thing, then I recommend splurging on a helicopter ride. I can't imagine anywhere in the world that would be more impressive from a helicopter than Kauaii. I got some fantastic photos on that helicopter ride, one of a waterfall along the Nepali coast that has been published in Fodors Hawaii Travel Guide. It's just to bad we couldn't find the same waterfall backpacking as the trail to it disappeared into the jungle. If the helicopter ride is beyond your budget, then do a boat ride along the coast. We're going back to the islands on the POA this year, and I plan to see the Nepali coast this time by zodiac to explore the coastal caves. There are several smoother catamaran options too. Enjoy Kauaii!

Trying to Compile a list of Kauai's top sites to help plan our time in port. We will have a car. We have one full day to our with our car as the second day we are doing a flight tour

So far I have Waimea Canyon but not much else. I do have a guide book and have searched this site, but the amount of info is just so overwhelming.

What are the best things to see in your opinion!

A Helicopter Flight around the Island will become a lifetime memory. All Helicopter tours fly the same basic route but "Jack Harter's Service" flies without doors for better views. (Don't worry, they have good seat belts ;))

We also went Tubing through the Irrigation Canals and connecting tunnels and it was a blast!!

Last but not least, a cruise up the Nepali Coast is also a lifelong memory.

Rich

Poipu Beach was amazing. The sunset was remarkable there!!!

Napali coast was also stunning. We did a speed boat tour there!

The entire north coast is just gorgeous. There are so many stops on the way to admire the scenery!

Poipu Beach was amazing. The sunset was remarkable there!!!

Napali coast was also stunning. We did a speed boat tour there!

The entire north coast is just gorgeous. There are so many stops on the way to admire the scenery!

Poipu Beach is in the South of the island in the area of many resorts correct? If so then we will make certain that we plan a visit around the sunset. I had never heard that the south of the island was known for sunsets. Perhaps combining it with a hike in the east part of the island earlier in the day would be a good option. Your thoughts?

We will be staying in the North Shore area but of course we hope to see as much as the island as possible and with research can determine the routes and best times to visit. Thanks:)

Poipu Beach is in the South of the island in the area of many resorts correct? If so then we will make certain that we plan a visit around the sunset. I had never heard that the south of the island was known for sunsets. Perhaps combining it with a hike in the east part of the island earlier in the day would be a good option. Your thoughts?

We will be staying in the North Shore area but of course we hope to see as much as the island as possible and with research can determine the routes and best times to visit. Thanks:)

Yess, Poipu Beach was in the south. We had no idea about the sunset here. We just ended up at this beach in hopes of seeing turtles but instead we were surprised with the gorgeous sunset! I will try including a photo of the sunset here. The beach is also very cool and unique because the waves crash from both sides. I forgot what that's called. Yes there are resorts in this area and lots of food places too. Combining it with a hike in the east part is a fantastic idea. We were actually going to do that. Go on the east side in the day time, and then towards the latter half of the day go to Poipu beach, but we ended up visiting a monastery in the day time.

1376613_10100372633785948_1709639201762911959_n.jpg.b2b5995c48f0a93c1aab3cd19d7264d8.jpg

Yess, Poipu Beach was in the south. We had no idea about the sunset here. We just ended up at this beach in hopes of seeing turtles but instead we were surprised with the gorgeous sunset! I will try including a photo of the sunset here. The beach is also very cool and unique because the waves crash from both sides. I forgot what that's called. Yes there are resorts in this area and lots of food places too. Combining it with a hike in the east part is a fantastic idea. We were actually going to do that. Go on the east side in the day time, and then towards the latter half of the day go to Poipu beach, but we ended up visiting a monastery in the day time.

I am so happy to have this information. The photo is beautiful and this place looks like a great spot, especially at sunset. :)

I am so happy to have this information. The photo is beautiful and this place looks like a great spot, especially at sunset. :)

Aloha :D

I overlooked the thread about Kauai before and am spanking myself. My father-in-law was born on Kauai, so with family there, we have visited many, many times. I remember when there was only one traffic light on the whole island, and that was to prevent traffic collisions with the trucks that hauled the harvested sugar cane.

Where to start? Driving to the southwest part of Kauai on Kaumualii Hwy is the little town of Waimea where you turn right onto Waimea Canyon Dr. and drive up the mountain to the Kalalau Lookout where on a clear day, the view down the Kalalau valley to the ocean is spectacular. This 18 mile drive takes you past the Waimea Canyon Lookout, the Lodge at Koke`e, and the Koke`e Natural History Museum, and some of the most beautiful flora you will see in Hawaii. If you notice the road sign says Koke`e Rd., don't worry, Waimea Canyon Dr. merges with Koke`e Rd. on the way up to the Kalalau Lookout. The drive alone with the winding mountain road takes about an hour without stops, but if you want to sightsee Kauai, take two hours and take your time.

I recommend using Fodors for more information about thing-to-do on Kauai. http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/hawaii/kauai/things-to-do I like the way the site is organized.

I mentioned to my wife that you were spending 7-8 days on Kauai and she said, "Wow! So long! Tell her to spend some of those days on Oahu before her cruise. There's more to see here."

BTW, there are some less expensive motel type places near the beach in Kapaa across a nice neighborhood type shopping center (completely safe).

Aloha :D

Edited by rakuroda