Running/jogging on the 360 promenade?

OneBag

So according to the deck plan, there's a 360 promenade, 4 laps to a mile on Deck 2. Does anybody run/jog on that? Is it possible? Or would it be disturbing to others? If possible and not incredibly annoying to fellow passengers and crew, would making the turns 12 times be painful? Does the direction vary from day to day? Would we be weaving in and out around chairs, bins or other equipment? One lane or two?

I apologize for asking what are probably stupid questions, but I've only been on river cruises so I can't picture how running around a boat* 12 times would work.

*I know it's a ship, but until I'm on it, it's a boat to me. ;)

So according to the deck plan, there's a 360 promenade, 4 laps to a mile on Deck 2. Does anybody run/jog on that? Is it possible? Or would it be disturbing to others? If possible and not incredibly annoying to fellow passengers and crew, would making the turns 12 times be painful? Does the direction vary from day to day? Would we be weaving in and out around chairs, bins or other equipment? One lane or two?

I apologize for asking what are probably stupid questions, but I've only been on river cruises so I can't picture how running around a boat* 12 times would work.

*I know it's a ship, but until I'm on it, it's a boat to me. ;)

I have run on the track and also on the machines. I am a serious runner but rehabilitating a tendinitus problem in a knee so not yet back to full speed. The track is great for jogging. At both ends though it has tricky spots for fast running. At the aft end there are little partitions that seem to act almost as a speed control. At the forward end you go through a tunnel like area that is has almost blind corners and is narrow. So while you can do some speed work with short intervals along the sides. you cannot run fast through the ends.

There are six running machines in the ship's gym positioned perpendicular to the ships spine (facing out a window). The TV and internet is not even hooked up yet, but the machines have worked well. All in metric. I carry a metric/ english conversion card for running so I can choose my speeds accurately. I took one machine up to 7 minute miles yesterday and it did not stall out like can happen with machines that have sticky belts etc. And, the real good part is that my knee is doing great! So I may be back to full form by the time this 50 day cruise is over.

I also ran off ship, in Dubrovnik, Croatia which was nice.

On deck 2 you will not disturb anyone as there are no cabins on deck 1. I've walked deck 2 at about 3.0 mph a couple of times and my pedometer has said I walked exactly 2 miles after 8 laps, so I think it's pretty accurate in the 4 laps per mile. In addition to what CrusinSubMan said there are a couple of very slight changes in height of the side decks, but they ramp down gently and I don't think they'd bother you. The side decks and stern are very wide and easily accommodate people going in opposite directions, but as he said the wind baffles aft can slow you down. Fortunately, they are transparent so you can easily see others coming in your direction. The bow tunnel as he said is kind of narrow so people going in both directions need to be a bit more careful though that spot.

When I've been out there's been very few people using it. Maybe 4 or 5 max, even on Sea Days.

This is all very good news. Thanks to all for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it. It will be…interesting…to run around in circles through tunnels and dodging baffles. I'm not very fast and am not training for a marathon so I think it will be just fine and maybe even fun. And when it's not, I'll head down to the treadmills.

Deck 8 also sounds nice for a little walking under the sky.

I wouldn't have thought of the treadmill/metric issue - thanks for the heads up, I'm not very good at gauging my speed on treadmills so I've just memorized what works for me and set the thing to that, so I'll make sure I have conversions downloaded on my iPhone before I leave. No problems with TV's being out -- I listen to music. Looking out the window sounds good to me, a lot better than looking at 5 rows of behinds at 24 Hour Fitness!:eek:

CrusinSubMan, best of luck with your knee, nice to hear it is improving -- tendinitis seems to have a mind of its own, doesn't it? I'm working through a hip problem which followed a L foot stress fracture which followed a R foot fracture 5 months earlier. One thing tends to lead to another...