Tips on Drink Packages for Non-Drinkers -- Just back!

I just spent a week on Freedom (Eastern 4/19) and debated in advance whether to purchase any kind of drink package. We are both virtual non-drinkers, and I also don’t drink soda regularly, while hubby is a minimal soda drinker. We both decided to go with the Royal Replenish package and I wanted to share that it was a good value and I would definitely do it again.

Here are my tips on how to maximize your “investment”:

Breakfast – the fresh squeezed orange juice is crazy! There’s a really cool machine that does it right in front of you and I haven’t tasted anything better.

Specialty coffee – the Starbucks counter, located in the Promenade, Deck 5, is open from 6:30am until 1am. They have a decent selection of hot, iced and frozen options. I always asked for a bottled water while I was getting a coffee to bring up on deck or stash in the cabin for later.

Self-serve machines – there are several in key locations and offer a wide mix of Dasani waters, Minute-main lemonade and also a variety of Sprite and Ginger ale flavors if you’re not into Coke. The insulated cup kept the ice cold for a long time.

Excursions – when exiting the ship, the usual water stations are set up by the gangway. With the package, there’s no charge.

Bars – throughout the day, we would grab a frozen virgin something. We loved the virgin Coco Loco, frozen lemonade, pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris. As above, I would also ask for a bottle of water to stay hydrated. Frozen drinks were also included while on Coco Cay. We took advantage there, too.

Late night – we stayed up until about 1am most every night (piano bar fans) and enjoyed ginger ale interspersed with the occasional after dinner drink.

We figured that if we had about 6 items per day each, that we covered the cost (about $22/day, I think). The best part was not stressing about limiting myself to keep our bill manageable at the end of the trip. If you’re on the fence about whether to purchase a package as a light drinker, I would highly recommend the Royal Replenish.

I thought Starbucks was NOT included in the drink packages. Yours let you buy Starbucks?

From what I understand, if a ship has an actual Starbucks store on it, it doesn't count, but on Freedom, Cafe Promenade has a Starbucks counter and YES, they are all included.

Do you know, if the regular Starbucks on Allure is also included or not??

Thanks

Marko

Sorry, no clue. This is the highest level of Royal ship I have sailed. Others have written lots about drink packages, so I'd suggest you search "Starbucks".

We will be on Independence of the seas can anybody tell me on that ship what is included in the Royal Replenish package and compare to the other drink package. Do both people in the cabin have to have the same package? DH only drinks soda and I only drink non-alcoholic NOT soda. Thanks for the information. I have not been on Royal for a long time and have lately been on small ships with drinks included (Oceania/Azamara and others/river cruises). Have a great love for my daily frozen whatever which is what my diabetes allows for a rare treat of being on vacation.

Do both people in the cabin have to have the same package?

No... you both don't need the same package. There is a soda-only package, too. All frozen non-alcoholic drinks were included in the Replenish. Royal's web site has great detailed information under their drink package section. It should be the same on Independence as it was for us on Freedom.

Do you know, if the regular Starbucks on Allure is also included or not??

Thanks

Marko

No, Starbucks on the Allure or the Oasis is not included in the drink package. These are freestanding Starbucks Kiosks. The specialty coffees in the Cafe Promenade are included in the package and they are very good.

I just spent a week on Freedom (Eastern 4/19) and debated in advance whether to purchase any kind of drink package. We are both virtual non-drinkers, and I also don’t drink soda regularly, while hubby is a minimal soda drinker. We both decided to go with the Royal Replenish package and I wanted to share that it was a good value and I would definitely do it again.

Here are my tips on how to maximize your “investment”:

Breakfast – the fresh squeezed orange juice is crazy! There’s a really cool machine that does it right in front of you and I haven’t tasted anything better.

Specialty coffee – the Starbucks counter, located in the Promenade, Deck 5, is open from 6:30am until 1am. They have a decent selection of hot, iced and frozen options. I always asked for a bottled water while I was getting a coffee to bring up on deck or stash in the cabin for later.

Self-serve machines – there are several in key locations and offer a wide mix of Dasani waters, Minute-main lemonade and also a variety of Sprite and Ginger ale flavors if you’re not into Coke. The insulated cup kept the ice cold for a long time.

Excursions – when exiting the ship, the usual water stations are set up by the gangway. With the package, there’s no charge.

Bars – throughout the day, we would grab a frozen virgin something. We loved the virgin Coco Loco, frozen lemonade, pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris. As above, I would also ask for a bottle of water to stay hydrated. Frozen drinks were also included while on Coco Cay. We took advantage there, too.

Late night – we stayed up until about 1am most every night (piano bar fans) and enjoyed ginger ale interspersed with the occasional after dinner drink.

We figured that if we had about 6 items per day each, that we covered the cost (about $22/day, I think). The best part was not stressing about limiting myself to keep our bill manageable at the end of the trip. If you’re on the fence about whether to purchase a package as a light drinker, I would highly recommend the Royal Replenish.

Thanks for the info.It didn't click that the bottled water at the water stations in the gangway are part of the package.

No... you both don't need the same package. There is a soda-only package, too. All frozen non-alcoholic drinks were included in the Replenish. Royal's web site has great detailed information under their drink package section. It should be the same on Independence as it was for us on Freedom.

One big difference between Freedom & Independence as far as the Replenish and Soda packages go...Freedom has the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines with a WIDE assortment of drinks, both carbonated and not (including Dasani flavored waters, Power-Ade and lemonade). Independence doesn't have those machines. Passengers w/package wanting soda on Indy need to see a bartender to have their package tumblers filled. Soda available is limited to what the bartender has on the soda gun.

One big difference between Freedom & Independence as far as the Replenish and Soda packages go...Freedom has the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines with a WIDE assortment of drinks, both carbonated and not (including Dasani flavored waters, Power-Ade and lemonade). Independence doesn't have those machines. Passengers w/package wanting soda on Indy need to see a bartender to have their package tumblers filled. Soda available is limited to what the bartender has on the soda gun.

Thanks so much for clarifying! I thought they were mirrors of each other. Great to know for future planning.

I always asked for a bottled water while I was getting a coffee to bring up on deck or stash in the cabin for later.

That's very nice they let you do that. I'd had trouble getting my money's worth out of the Replenish package b/c I somehow managed to miss out on the OJ, also don't drink soda and didn't have room for calories of virgin drinks with all the food eating, and when I did want a coffee drink and a water, there was a line so by the time I got coffee, didn't want to get back in line to get a bottle of water. They were very strict about not giving both the coffee and the bottle of water b/c that was ordering two drinks at once. I tried to just have them ring me a second time but they said I had to get back in line. I'd still brought water bottles onboard for others that didn't get the package and it was often easier to refill them than wait in line for a bottle or to be served at the bar.

I still may try it again, but probably only on a ship like Majesty since I'm mainly using it for coffee. When have a diamond lounge, as reasonable as the package is, it's easier to get coffee there and bring my own waterbottles.

Anyone have details on Enchantment. Freestyle machines, I'm guessing not? What about coffee/frozen coffee drinks, etc

Anyone have details on Enchantment. Freestyle machines, I'm guessing not? What about coffee/frozen coffee drinks, etc

Enchantment has at least 3 Freestyle machines. Premium coffee is available at Cafe Latte-Tudes.

What about the Grandeur?

Going in August and the Replenishment Package sounds great.

I enjoy the virgin cocktails and lattes. Do they have those cool machines on the Grandeur or a Starbucks?:)

Grandeur has the Freestyle machines.

Glad you found the replenish package worthwhile! I had it on the Explorer last year, but I found myself ordering way more high-calorie drinks than I normally would just to get my money's worth, and at the end of a 10-day cruise, I couldn't even look at anything sweet.

I used it for a drink from the Promenade Cafe (Starbucks) in the morning (an iced chai latte or similar), a frozen drink by the pool or in the evening show, a bottle of water to take back to the room here and there, the odd soda from the Freestyle machines, a diet coke with dinner, and sometimes another beverage from the cafe in the evening... and they never gave me a hard time getting a bottle of water at the same time - if they do, you can just walk across the Promenade to one of the other bars and get the water.

I maybe broke even in terms of value, but it was all completely forced. In the future, I will forgo the package and pay as I go. I typically get only 1 soda and 1 non-alcoholic frozen drink (if that) each day. I can live without the Starbucks beverages and bottled water.

Of course everyone has different beverage habits and desires! The package is clearly a good value for those who would otherwise be ordering many beverages! Just plan accordingly to see if it's right for you!

So, this feels like a dumb question, but it's our first time on Royal...

What drinks are included?

Like, if you eat in the MDR or any of the included restaurants/buffets, do you get drinks there? What does that include? Just water? Soda?

What about room service? I know there's no charge for room service (except in the middle of the night) but I can't imagine they give any drinks without charge...

And what if you go to a specialty restaurant? You pay extra for that meal, but does that cover drinks? What type of drinks?

So, this feels like a dumb question, but it's our first time on Royal...

What drinks are included?

Like, if you eat in the MDR or any of the included restaurants/buffets, do you get drinks there? What does that include? Just water? Soda?

What about room service? I know there's no charge for room service (except in the middle of the night) but I can't imagine they give any drinks without charge...

And what if you go to a specialty restaurant? You pay extra for that meal, but does that cover drinks? What type of drinks?

Drinks included in the basic cruise fare: plain coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, juices at breakfast.