Second best glacier to add with Glacier Bay?

Loving My Life

Hi everyone--

I am in the very early planning stages of an Alaskan cruise for 2016. From all of my reading, I know that most people believe that Glacier Bay is a must, so I'm only looking at itineraries that go there. However, many cruises also visit a second glacier/fjord - Hubbard, Tracy Arm, College, etc. If there is an option to take a small boat excursion to one of these other glaciers, we will take it. That being said, which is the best to add to GB?

A second question - if we do a small boat excursion to one of these other glaciers, what is the likelihood it would actually happen in May (which would be the best month for me and my schedule)? Do they get cancelled frequently in May due to ice? Should we try to take the cruise in June to be sure we can get close to the glacier?

Thanks for your help!

If you sail Northbound on Princess from Vancouver you will visit both Glacier Bay and College Fjord, and usually have enough time to take the all day tour to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. If you sail southbound from Whittier you get both Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

I usually do a B2B as I can never get enough of the glaciers :)

The small boat trips from Whittier start May 1. The companies offer two tours and always get close to glaciers. Check them out at http://www.26glaciers.com or http://www.majormarine.com

Either company is excellent for sightseeing. The picture below was taken in Blackstone Bay which is the shorter trip from Whittier.

Edited by Chenega

In my opinion, EACH of these areas are worthwhile to see. Glaciers are in a constant state of change.

With Tracy Arm- this is the only place with an add on ship excursion. In May Tracy Arm, can have more "cancellations" at the last minute with the substitution of Endicott Arm. This area is less "needy" of an add on tour, due to good access of cruise ships.

I absolutely agree, the tours out of Whittier are spectacular. :)

Northbound into Juneau Glacier Bay cruises may offer Tracy Arm mid-ocean transfer to see Sawyer. I think this is the best use of time....

These cruise excursions sell out before the boat leaves Vancouver.

I LOVED College Fjord, which Princess pairs with GB on Northbound trips. I didn't expect much but in the event, we were pleasantly surprised by the quiet beauty of College. No excursions were offered; just cruising past the many glaciers and the abundant otters, seals, bears etc. - lovely last day. This time we're going southbound past Hubbard instead, but I'd do an itinerary with GB and College again in a heartbeat.

We have the small boat excursion booked for our tracy arm day the first week in june. if tracy arm gets canceled and endicott is substituted, would you suggest cancelling our small boat excursion and just seeing endicott from the ship? if that is even an option, i hate to spend almost $200 p.p. for the small boat in endicott if it's not necessary.