I was not Serenaded, nor was I WOWed!

This was our first cruise and was with 2 kids age 19 and 21

We were on Serenade of the Seas March 7, 2015 week.

the only things that need "fixed" are the pool table cues, need some new tips and darts in pub are the cheap ones and not worth playing darts with.(bring your own)

Sounds like the Cues I brought them in Jan 2014 are now officially "all used up" For obvious reasons, I can only do that when driving to the port. :D

My remark was not specifically aimed at tip. You'll notice I didn't quote him. It was a general remark to so many on here who are disrespectful to anyone who has a different experience.

...but not in this thread. Everyone seems to be respectfully giving their point of view. By the way, who are you not quoting this time?

Suggesting that it is time for him to change cruise lines seem to indicate that the service he received was adequate and is what he should have expected. If the OP's concerns are valid then RCCL needs to remedy them.

Most of the OP's concerns don't appear to be valid, however.

Of course, that is only my opinion, and others may feel differently, but when he starts with complaints about a brand new position of loyalty ambassador not being available, because he was sick, and the cruise line didn't already have a fully trained back-up for the brand new position, I immediately think the OP is just looking for excuses to complain.

When the next comment is a complaint that the "Top Tier Event" was not held at the time of day that the OP would have chosen, it confirms my initial impression.

Number three was about not "receiving amenities" for having cruised so many days.

It all seemed a bit petty to me, with a generic "the food was terrible" thrown in for good measure.

I reserved a table for 6, received a table for 4 in the MDR. I went to the Maitre’D and was told the tables of 6 were all taken only to find they were not. Appears he was not looking very closely at the requests submitted by Crown and Anchor. Eight pm seating was not full any night.

I've had similar issues with MTD on RCL. On our Indy cruise in March we reserved a table for the same time each night for the 4 of us. One night we waited for a few minutes before being seated - no big deal. The next night however we were told our table was not available. The MaitreD had given it to another group 40 minutes before our reservation because they promised they'd eat and get out fast. Well, they didn't. We ended up waiting for 30 minutes for a table and even then we were seated at a different table, no doubt messing up someone else's reservation.

I've generally not been impressed with RCL's handling of MTD. I've said before they need to make up their minds. Stick with traditional or make the 100% move to MTD like NCL. This half pregnant stuff isn't working.

Micmacmissy, Royal has the best amenities and their ship fit my need better, that’s why I’m loyal. I have sailed many times on Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Costa and NCL. I know it’s all subjective and I just want to list my finding, comparing my other experience on Royal sailings.

DragonOFTHESEAS, Yes I was on the repo. I have been on many repos, staff turnovers, sailings with as many if not more Crown and Anchor members on board and NEVER had any problems. The ship should have opened up the Safari Club on deck 6 and had more staff. Service, service, service. As I said Melody was waiting tables not at the bar.

Truckeral, Sorry you had to experience beyond bad food as I did. We can always find something to eat, but I feel Royal is cutting back to much in lots of areas.

PSCruiser, The Top Tier party also offers cocktails. I for one don’t want to have to schedule anything mid afternoon and like it after 6pm as other ships do.

Coldflame, EXACTLY.

Don Pedro, Thank you for that, Royal needs to remedy that.

Billsqal, Sometimes two people see things differently. I hope your next cruise will be more to your liking. I agree and thanks.

Cruzin-K, Totally agree and sorry you could not get the photos you wanted. Have you ever asked to have a photo taken of your choice of locations.

WisconsinFan, I’m loyal to Royal and do sail the others. I have the same stats/level on the others.

Tip, Now, now, now. The Loyalty Ambassador is a position in its self, not the same as selling cruises. His office was at Guest Relations station only a few hours a day. Yes he had someone fill in for him, but to late with too little. I’m not a complainer… Just bringing up what happed to me.

Tiessa, Thank you for being on my side. Sorry it happen to you to.

Langley Cruisers, Agreed.

Big_G, What does Tip OP mean?

Paul65, A new position or not, training is needed and Royal needs to get their act together. With so many CA members on the ship the LA should on been available more than a few hours a day. The top tier event has never been at 3pm on any other ship. When I question it, I was told is what the CA members wanted. Was I asked, no, did anyone else get asked? Not to my knowledge. I did not receive the amenities coming to me as lack of the Loyalty Ambassador not doing his job. I am not complaining just making a statement of my experience. Sorry you feel petty for me the generic, food was terrible thrown in for good measure. What did you want me to say it was all bad, when 80 was not to my liking after over 1000 days at sea.

Thank you all for your comments. I’m loyal to Royal and just want to air my experience on the Serenade of the Seas. Sorry if some of you think I’m a complainer, I’m not.

Edited by CrusingJoe

As you admit, two people can see the same thing in totally different ways. We were on the repo as well and were constantly being "wowed" by the people who served us, including Melody in the concierge lounge, ****r, the concierge, Ghanna in the Schooner Bar, and all the officers and crew, not to mention the many wonderful passengers we met onboard Serenade. The crew members who entertained during the Top Tier event were as good as, perhaps better than, many of the professional entertainers on this cruise and richly deserved the standing ovation afforded them. Special luncheons and dinners for Diamond Plus, Pinnacle and Cruise Critic members were each, in their own way, most memorable.

This was our first, but definitely not our last, cruise on Serenade of the Seas and we look forward to her return to Boston in the Fall of 2016.

As you admit, two people can see the same thing in totally different ways. We were on the repo as well and were constantly being "wowed" by the people who served us, including Melody in the concierge lounge, ****r, the concierge, Ghanna in the Schooner Bar, and all the officers and crew, not to mention the many wonderful passengers we met onboard Serenade.

Glad you had a good experience. We were very happy with the service we got from Melody, as well, though we were on the April 4 sailing (the last New Orleans round trip). I thought maybe it was just too busy and/or she was off her game on the repo cruise, but it's good to hear that you had a similar experience to ours in the lounge.

As you admit, two people can see the same thing in totally different ways. We were on the repo as well and were constantly being "wowed" by the people who served us, including Melody in the concierge lounge, ****r, the concierge, Ghanna in the Schooner Bar, and all the officers and crew, not to mention the many wonderful passengers we met onboard Serenade. The crew members who entertained during the Top Tier event were as good as, perhaps better than, many of the professional entertainers on this cruise and richly deserved the standing ovation afforded them. Special luncheons and dinners for Diamond Plus, Pinnacle and Cruise Critic members were each, in their own way, most memorable.

This was our first, but definitely not our last, cruise on Serenade of the Seas and we look forward to her return to Boston in the Fall of 2016.

I'm glad you got wowed in the CL lounge, I DID NOT. I never said anything about the officers or the entertainers at the top tier event. What special luncheons for D+?. My point BAD service from the Loyalty Ambassador or lack of.

DH, myself and another couple were on the April 4th cruise prior to repo. Reading about staff changes, etc., I am now thinking maybe that is why our MDR service was anything but great. Our waiter seemed pre-occupied a lot of the time, while he brought our correct food to the table, he never sat the right food down in front of the person who ordered it--not one time during the while week! There were other times when he "disappeard"--most noteably the last night of the cruise. Even his assistant waiter couldn't find him. He seemed "put out" also if we ordered more than one app, etc. This was our second cruise on Serenade in a year, and must say our experience the second time wasn't nearly as good. Service was obviously not as good, but the food was good, especially Park Café roast beef sammies (my favorite--can't remember the "official" name. I had heard a lot of negatives about Carlee B. as the CD, but must say I thought she was great!

Other than MDR service, other staff were great and our steward was fantastic! My only real other complaint was that we were unaware that there was a charter onboard which consisted of about 600 followers of a couple of Cajun bands. For the most part, the group was obnoxious, loud, pushy. In addition, having the Quest take place in the Vortex was ridiculous. Couldn't see anything. It was moved there because the charter had a private part in Safari. Safari was closed a lot due to the charter activities. (We did meet a few nice people from the charter but they were few and far between).

Now, with that said, will I said on Serenade again--most likely yes. In fact, we are looking at the 11-day southern carribean cruise next December out of Ft. Lauderdale. I only wish that RCL would make it know to passengers ahead of time when they have chartered groups onboard. :(

Most of the OP's concerns don't appear to be valid, however.

Of course, that is only my opinion, and others may feel differently, but when he starts with complaints about a brand new position of loyalty ambassador not being available, because he was sick, and the cruise line didn't already have a fully trained back-up for the brand new position, I immediately think the OP is just looking for excuses to complain.

When the next comment is a complaint that the "Top Tier Event" was not held at the time of day that the OP would have chosen, it confirms my initial impression.

Number three was about not "receiving amenities" for having cruised so many days.

It all seemed a bit petty to me, with a generic "the food was terrible" thrown in for good measure.

Why are the OP's complaints not valid? Where you sailing with the OP? It's posters like you that make some folks not want to post on a board to ask questions or give opinions. As a corporation as large as RCCL, you need to have a back up plan when someone gets sick to handle over 1000+ customers. I can understand why the OP is upset. You pay tons of money for a cruise and don't get the service you expect. And if the OP is to get an amenity for sailing so many days, why is it wrong for them to be upset because they didn't get it. The OP is stating "their" experience. I don't understand why it's always a problem for folks to have a difference of opinion when sailing. It's "their" experience!

Edited by Hawaii697

Why are the OP's complaints not valid? Where you sailing with the OP? It's posters like you that make some folks not want to post on a board to ask questions or give opinions. As a corporation as large as RCCL, you need to have a back up plan when someone gets sick to handle over 1000+ customers. I can understand why the OP is upset. You pay tons of money for a cruise and don't get the service you expect. And if the OP is to get an amenity for sailing so many days, why is it wrong for them to be upset because they didn't get it. The OP is stating "their" experience. I don't understand why it's always a problem for folks to have a difference of opinion when sailing. It's "their" experience!

You are entitled to your opinion, just as the OP is, and just as I am. Are you suggesting that I don't have a right to disagree with someone else's opinion? After all, I stated clearly that this was just my opinion. And I stated reasons why I felt the way I did.

The "loyalty ambassador" at guest services was a brand new position that they just started, so I really don't see how the lack of that position meant that people couldn't get the service they expected. The cruises prior to this didn't have this person, and service still went on. It's a position that was intended to enhance the level of service to C&A members, but not having that person on this sailing probably had nothing to do with what amenities anyone did or did not get.

I have no idea what amenity the OP expected and did not get, because he did not specify. But I don't think lack of a loyalty ambassador at guest services is really a valid complaint, because he was missing for a good reason, and it's not necessarily an essential position that the cruise cannot function without, since until very recently, the position did not exist.

And I think the rant about the time of day at which a Top Tier Event is scheduled is just silly. I'm not saying he is not allowed to be upset about it; only that I find it a trivial complaint. We had an event at that same time on my recent cruise, and it was quite nice. I didn't give much thought to the timing; just enjoyed it and moved on.

I was on a sailing of the very same ship as the OP, but was on there the week prior. So, please explain to me again why you don't think I should express my opinion on the issues that someone else posts? I didn't quite understand from you original rebuke.

DH, myself and another couple were on the April 4th cruise prior to repo. Reading about staff changes, etc., I am now thinking maybe that is why our MDR service was anything but great. Our waiter seemed pre-occupied a lot of the time, while he brought our correct food to the table, he never sat the right food down in front of the person who ordered it--not one time during the while week! There were other times when he "disappeard"--most noteably the last night of the cruise. Even his assistant waiter couldn't find him. He seemed "put out" also if we ordered more than one app, etc. This was our second cruise on Serenade in a year, and must say our experience the second time wasn't nearly as good. Service was obviously not as good, but the food was good, especially Park Café roast beef sammies (my favorite--can't remember the "official" name. I had heard a lot of negatives about Carlee B. as the CD, but must say I thought she was great!

Other than MDR service, other staff were great and our steward was fantastic! My only real other complaint was that we were unaware that there was a charter onboard which consisted of about 600 followers of a couple of Cajun bands. For the most part, the group was obnoxious, loud, pushy. In addition, having the Quest take place in the Vortex was ridiculous. Couldn't see anything. It was moved there because the charter had a private part in Safari. Safari was closed a lot due to the charter activities. (We did meet a few nice people from the charter but they were few and far between).

Now, with that said, will I said on Serenade again--most likely yes. In fact, we are looking at the 11-day southern carribean cruise next December out of Ft. Lauderdale. I only wish that RCL would make it know to passengers ahead of time when they have chartered groups onboard. :(

I just can't begin to image in that. :eek:

You are entitled to your opinion, just as the OP is, and just as I am. Are you suggesting that I don't have a right to disagree with someone else's opinion? After all, I stated clearly that this was just my opinion. And I stated reasons why I felt the way I did.

The "loyalty ambassador" at guest services was a brand new position that they just started, so I really don't see how the lack of that position meant that people couldn't get the service they expected. The cruises prior to this didn't have this person, and service still went on. It's a position that was intended to enhance the level of service to C&A members, but not having that person on this sailing probably had nothing to do with what amenities anyone did or did not get.

I have no idea what amenity the OP expected and did not get, because he did not specify. But I don't think lack of a loyalty ambassador at guest services is really a valid complaint, because he was missing for a good reason, and it's not necessarily an essential position that the cruise cannot function without, since until very recently, the position did not exist.

And I think the rant about the time of day at which a Top Tier Event is scheduled is just silly. I'm not saying he is not allowed to be upset about it; only that I find it a trivial complaint. We had an event at that same time on my recent cruise, and it was quite nice. I didn't give much thought to the timing; just enjoyed it and moved on.

I was on a sailing of the very same ship as the OP, but was on there the week prior. So, please explain to me again why you don't think I should express my opinion on the issues that someone else posts? I didn't quite understand from you original rebuke.

The position of Loyalty Ambassador is not a new position, it was part of the next cruise desk. He is responsible for scheduling/delivery of all the amenities, dinner with the captain, an officer and assuring we get the things we have earned. As far as the top tier event it was first scheduled as a Formal event at 3. HELLO...Only after it was questions it was changed. You don't invite someone to dine with an offer at 5pm dinner when they dine at 830. Only when confirming it was changed to 830. Many CA members had question and it took 2 or 3 days for a response.

Edited by CrusingJoe

The position of Loyalty Ambassador is not a new position, it was part of the next cruise desk. He is responsible for scheduling/delivery of all the amenities, dinner with the captain, an officer and assuring we get the things we have earned. As far as the top tier event it was first scheduled as a Formal event at 3. HELLO...Only after it was questions it was changed. You don't invite someone to dine with an offer at 5pm dinner when they dine at 830. Only when confirming it was changed to 830. Many CA members had question and it took 2 or 3 days for a response.

Well, I was on Serenade the week before the OP and our top tier event was also at 3:00. It was a reception in the Safari Lounge with typical drinks (shampagne, rum punch, drink of the day), where they recognized Pinnacle members and other C&A member reaching certain points milestones, then offered some special entertainment. (It was not billed as Formal and had nothing to do with dining.) Also, at that reception, they announced the brand new position of Loyalty Ambassador that would be part of Guest Services (not the next cruise desk).

Edited by Paul65

Sounds like it's time for a change. Take your RCCL loyalty status and head over to Celebrity where you might find the service a notch or two better!

WE would agree, and the newer Solstice class will make the move easier for RCL cruisers used to the larger RCL ships.

We were also on the repositioning cruise on Serenade from New Orleans to Boston. We are not new cruisers, this was our 25th.

I guess that it is all a matter of perspective. We had a wonderful cruise and found the food and service to be top notch. The food was much better than our last RCCL cruise which was on the Independence of the Seas.

The comments about the 'loyalty ambassador" not being at the reception desk (which is on deck four) are interesting since their offices to meet with passengers are on deck six aft next to the Safari Lounge. Every time I walked by they were meeting with passengers. The daily compass had a number to call to make a reservation every day.

I did notice that the ship had its share of complainers. One fellow was even in the complaining mood before we even boarded the ship. We took a dinner cruise on the Steamboat Natchez two nights before we boarded the Serenade and he just would not let up.

A couple, a few tables over, were never happy. She was always complaining about the lack of selections in the buffet, the fennel in her food (which was clearly listed on the menu) and he made a major scene with the waiter and the head waiter over how the crème brulee was prepared. He just would not let it go.

A special terrific lunch was served for Cruise Critic members on the last sea day. A woman who sat across from us started to complain before she even sat down (chairs and tables too close) and then went on to complain about the selections of unlimited free wines offered and the fact that she did not like any of the three choices of entrees. She got up and announced that she was going to the buffet and she took her free wine (which she did not like) with her!

Some folks are never happy. Maybe they would be better off sailing another line.

Excellent comment.

My god i'd love to cruise with you.

kezz.

needs a Like Button on this site

Micmacmissy, Royal has the best amenities and their ship fit my need better, that’s why I’m loyal. I have sailed many times on Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Costa and NCL. I know it’s all subjective and I just want to list my finding, comparing my other experience on Royal sailings.

DragonOFTHESEAS, Yes I was on the repo. I have been on many repos, staff turnovers, sailings with as many if not more Crown and Anchor members on board and NEVER had any problems. The ship should have opened up the Safari Club on deck 6 and had more staff. Service, service, service. As I said Melody was waiting tables not at the bar.

Truckeral, Sorry you had to experience beyond bad food as I did. We can always find something to eat, but I feel Royal is cutting back to much in lots of areas.

PSCruiser, The Top Tier party also offers cocktails. I for one don’t want to have to schedule anything mid afternoon and like it after 6pm as other ships do.

Coldflame, EXACTLY.

Don Pedro, Thank you for that, Royal needs to remedy that.

Billsqal, Sometimes two people see things differently. I hope your next cruise will be more to your liking. I agree and thanks.

Cruzin-K, Totally agree and sorry you could not get the photos you wanted. Have you ever asked to have a photo taken of your choice of locations.

WisconsinFan, I’m loyal to Royal and do sail the others. I have the same stats/level on the others.

Tip, Now, now, now. The Loyalty Ambassador is a position in its self, not the same as selling cruises. His office was at Guest Relations station only a few hours a day. Yes he had someone fill in for him, but to late with too little. I’m not a complainer… Just bringing up what happed to me.

Tiessa, Thank you for being on my side. Sorry it happen to you to.

Langley Cruisers, Agreed.

Big_G, What does Tip OP mean?

Paul65, A new position or not, training is needed and Royal needs to get their act together. With so many CA members on the ship the LA should on been available more than a few hours a day. The top tier event has never been at 3pm on any other ship. When I question it, I was told is what the CA members wanted. Was I asked, no, did anyone else get asked? Not to my knowledge. I did not receive the amenities coming to me as lack of the Loyalty Ambassador not doing his job. I am not complaining just making a statement of my experience. Sorry you feel petty for me the generic, food was terrible thrown in for good measure. What did you want me to say it was all bad, when 80 was not to my liking after over 1000 days at sea.

Thank you all for your comments. I’m loyal to Royal and just want to air my experience on the Serenade of the Seas. Sorry if some of you think I’m a complainer, I’m not.

Don't be sorry for telling your opinion!

The people who attacked you for having a different opinion then theirs (calling you a complainer, etc.)need to apologize!

Happy cruising.

Ok--I'll give my opinion, and no, I was not on the same ship. We were on the Freedom April 19 2015. This was our first RCI cruise, and first cruise since 2006 (that one was a Carnival cruise before the Gerry Cahill cutbacks began). So I do not have anything recent as a reference point and comparing to a cruise from 9 years ago would probably not be a fair comparison.

Bar service--basically non-existent in my experience as stated by others, and I also thought that some of the drink prices were too high.

Overall service--generally very good--of course some staff are just more friendly and outgoing than others. No general concerns here at all. WJ and MDR staff were all great. Deck staff were all courteous and pleasant, as well as other staff along the way.

Stateroom stewardess (in our case) - pleasant and courteous. Nothing to really WOW us--she performed basic tidying up and towel animals, but nothing more than the basic expectations. The neighboring stewardess was actually more engaging than ours. Service still acceptable, so no real loss.

Food quality---this one was all over the place. MDR food was generally pretty good and all foods were served at expected temperatures--quality was decent and had generally good flavor, though maybe a tad salty. MDR desserts were generally not too tasty and seemed to lack much flavor.

WJ--had a fairly large selection--some items weren't too bad, others downright awful. The things that were bad weren't really bad based on flavor, a lot of it was simply strange pairings of ingredients or simply preparing foods that do not hold well under heat lamps/hot plates. WJ desserts were also very average, though the cookies were pretty good.

As for specialty dining, only went to Giovanni's and Johnny Rockets, so not much experience there, but will say that Johnny Rockets was not worth the extra cost, though the burgers were better than the gray mystery meat from the WJ. The meal at Giovanni's was the best we had all week. Excellent quality, excellent preparation and presentation, great flavor and very satisfying, including the dessert selections.

Overall ship repair--overall in good condition. Nothing was in obvious poor condition or in an

Unsafe condition, though there were a lot of noticeable spots that needed reprinting. The H2O zone needs some repairs to the water features and tile work (broken tiles and grout, etc). Our cabin itself needs some deep cleaning and minor repairs--noticed the air returns were full of dust buildup, the reflective finish on the bathroom mirrors coming off, showing a rust colored hue around the edges. Nothing major per se, but all of the minor things combined make the cabin appear to be in rough condition for a cruise that wasn't exactly inexpensive.

Overall, we had a great time and we're happy. So much so that we booked another onboard for 2017.

Don't be sorry for telling your opinion!

The people who attacked you for having a different opinion then theirs (calling you a complainer, etc.)need to apologize!

Happy cruising.

It's a shame, you just can't tell your experience without someone stating, it didn't happen, you're wrong, etc.

I'm still trying to understand why someone who sailed a week prior to the OP would state that they "don't" have a "valid" reason for relaying their experience. It was their experience. Saying that they don't have a valid reason is like saying . . . they are lying. To me that is not an opinion, you are basically saying to the OP, they didn't experience it.

The person stating they had a better experience was just that, their experience.

Sorry you had to experience what you did and you had every right to be upset.