Norwegian Onboard Expenses

kattlinx13

I have a question about paying for the onboard expenses. I will be sailing on a 7 night cruise next month. I have read online about the different options- Credit card/Debit Card/Cash. Any input would help.

If I choose the cash route it states that you need to leave a $300 deposit per person. I will have 3 people in my cabin- Two teenagers (Ages 16 &14) and I (Adult). Would I still have to leave a $300 deposit per child as the kids will not be charging anything? The kids have the soda package and I have the UBP. I am also pre- paying the service charges before we sail and we will also have a $50 on board credit per person.

Thank you.

I have traveled twice with my son (13 at the time).

I had a credit card for my charges and hubbies. For son though, I put down $100 for his use on his room card to cover items like the arcade, and the occasional smoothie drink. They did not make put down $300 for him, but something had to be put down otherwise he would not have been able to charge anything.

I have a question about paying for the onboard expenses. I will be sailing on a 7 night cruise next month. I have read online about the different options- Credit card/Debit Card/Cash. Any input would help.

If I choose the cash route it states that you need to leave a $300 deposit per person. I will have 3 people in my cabin- Two teenagers (Ages 16 &14) and I (Adult). Would I still have to leave a $300 deposit per child as the kids will not be charging anything? The kids have the soda package and I have the UBP. I am also pre- paying the service charges before we sail and we will also have a $50 on board credit per person.

Thank you.

As justice above me states that's what my sister did while sailing with her husband and two sons. She used her cc for her and DH and went to guest services and put down $100 cash for each. No problems doing that at all

Geri

Thanks for the responses. What if I use cash only and no credit card. Would I have to still put $900 down for the 3 of us?

No not at all. You can probably just do $100 each for everyone and add to it if needed. Just tell them at check in you are leaving cash. They will tell u to go to guest services. This is all under the condition younhave prepaid your DSC if you have not u will need to leave an amount to include the DSC for all members in your cabin above 3 years old

Geri

Edited by FootballParent

Well this is an enlightening discussion. I didn't realize within the same cabin I can segregate accounts, but I guess given that often friends travel together it is common. Would these scenarios work:

Credit card for me, pre purchased OBC via NCL.com for my mother and same for 13yo nephew.

Credit cards for Mom & I, but set cash deposited for 13yo nephew.

Trying to avoid an arcade overage lesson learned moment. :-(

We will be sailing on Getaway in August and I've already prepaid DSC.

Nola26,

Your scenario will work perfectly. That's exactly what we did last week. However, to be sure the card was not put on all of the cards in general I didn't give them a card at check-in but instead waited and went to the desk later in the day after sailaway to put cash on two cards and ccd on mine. Worked out great. Also recommend the iconcierge app as you can check balances of all guests in the cabin.

That is exactly what I did. Although at check-in, I gave the CC for myself. Later on in the day I got a note about my son not having charging privileges and went and made the deposit. He had OBC assigned to him, plus whatever I put down.

The one time we went and he was included on the CC for the family, I used the iconcierge app daily to review his spending. He had a set limit for the cruise of about $30 per day. While eating at O'Sheehans on embarkation, he asked to go to the men's room. Well he detoured through the game area in the bar, and spent about $10 on games. I had just pulled up the app to look at something and noticed the spending. He was shocked that we were able to track his spending so quickly. It kept him in line for the whole cruise.

That is exactly what I did. Although at check-in, I gave the CC for myself. Later on in the day I got a note about my son not having charging privileges and went and made the deposit. He had OBC assigned to him, plus whatever I put down.

The one time we went and he was included on the CC for the family, I used the iconcierge app daily to review his spending. He had a set limit for the cruise of about $30 per day. While eating at O'Sheehans on embarkation, he asked to go to the men's room. Well he detoured through the game area in the bar, and spent about $10 on games. I had just pulled up the app to look at something and noticed the spending. He was shocked that we were able to track his spending so quickly. It kept him in line for the whole cruise.

I loved the tracking of the "detour" story, thanks for the laugh.

That is wonderful. We got caught on our first cruise with our 2 boys at the arcade - seriously they spent about $100 in one hour at the arcade. Now we WERE on the Jewel and at that time that ship was not part of the iConcierge App. But we are on the Escape next year and it is soooo ON like Donkey Kong with this app.;)

When we cruised with carnival I was able to have them assign an amount per card..That was for game room...candy shop...frozen drinks... After they spent that amount they were done...if I wanted to add more I could. Does anyone know if Norwegian can set a daily limit per card... Ex. $20 per day per card/kid or do u have to give them a set amount...$150 per card?

Thanks.

I too had wanted to set a daily limit, but I was told it was not possible. I just deposited a certain amount and that was that.

If you only deposit $20, that's the limit. You would just have to repeat as often as you want to replenish.

I have traveled twice with my son (13 at the time).

I had a credit card for my charges and hubbies. For son though, I put down $100 for his use on his room card to cover items like the arcade, and the occasional smoothie drink. They did not make put down $300 for him, but something had to be put down otherwise he would not have been able to charge anything.

This is interesting, because last year on the Breakaway I was told that I could NOT do this when I checked in, and again by the concierge. I was disappointed because I wanted to give my dd a little responsibility for her own spending/budgeting. I guess now I know to take care of it with gueast services once on board.

The $300 pp is a recommended amount, not a required amount.

I am going on the Breakaway in December...and i am opening up a cash account....I was told that it is a $300 to open up a cash account per person....

The $300 to open up the cash account is a fair amount...as last year i went on the MSC Divina out of miami...then i used a credit card...they only took out a $150 hold.... which was not enough for a 7 ngt cruise....i went down to put more money on the card...my bank refused and declined the added amount, as they thought someone was putting fraulent charges on my card....this ship uses a foreign bank for transactions out of Paris France, and that is why my bank put up the red flag.... it was a complete mess....as when i went to disembark the ship i was dentained....finally everything got straightened out...but i dont want this happening to me again....so i am choosing putting up a cash account.... I have already the UBP as my promo, i bought the UDP, I am in a spa mini suite, so i have acess to the spa facilities.....i am not a gambler....so i think that the $300 cash deposit will do me fine....for other things i might buy.....