Embarkation Day Lunch/Ruby

lakemurraykid

We were on the Ruby on Sunday (April 26) and they did not have the menu for lunch that includes the salmon. Everything was new, and not as good as what we had in the past in my opinion. They didn't have the Souffle for dessert either, or the shrimp appetizer. It was quiet in the dining room, and the food was not bad, but it was a disappointment to not be able to order what we expected to have. Guess that's a problem we have created for ourselves, as we always have lunch in the dining room when we board and knew what was on the menu that we enjoyed.

I still recommend having lunch in the dining room, but don't go expecting something you have had in the past. The Future Cruise Consultant said that this was the menu they are serving now, so I guess it has been changed for at least the last couple of weeks.

We were on the Ruby on Sunday (April 26) and they did not have the menu for lunch that includes the salmon. Everything was new, and not as good as what we had in the past in my opinion. They didn't have the Souffle for dessert either, or the shrimp appetizer. It was quiet in the dining room, and the food was not bad, but it was a disappointment to not be able to order what we expected to have. Guess that's a problem we have created for ourselves, as we always have lunch in the dining room when we board and knew what was on the menu that we enjoyed.

I still recommend having lunch in the dining room, but don't go expecting something you have had in the past. The Future Cruise Consultant said that this was the menu they are serving now, so I guess it has been changed for at least the last couple of weeks.

What are the new items on the menu? Do they still have the veal ravioli?

This supposed new embarkation menu was brought up and used in the past. It was only used sporadically and the old menu was used most of the time.

I hope its not a permanent thing. :(

This supposed new embarkation menu was brought up and used in the past. It was only used sporadically and the old menu was used most of the time.

I hope its not a permanent thing. :(

It seems to be a feature of the short cruises. I don't remember all that was on it, but there was the usual hamburger and fries and a salad of some kind, with chicken.

I've never had veal ravioli at the embarkation lunch. It has always been spinach and cheese. The veal ravioli is on the 2nd formal night and is also excellent.

No ravioli of any kind. There was a pasta with vegetables, a beef (tough according to DH) dish in sauce, Cod, and BBQ Chicken. The salad was a Chicken Cob. There was a tomato stuffed with smoked salmon and a veal Carpaccio in the appetizers, and a Corn Chowder with Sweet Potato. There was also a Cubin Sandwich. It was all pretty much forgettable.

I think the sweet potato and corn chowder is substantially better than the Italian White Bean And Vegetable of the salmon-and-tenderloin menu, but as the Romans say, de gustibus non est disputandum.

I actually prefer the fettuccine with zucchini and garlic in olive oil to the often-leaden ravioli. Given the choice between wild cod and farmed "Atlantic Salmon", I will also always pick the cod.

The lack of souffle is disappointing, but the presence of zuppa inglese ice cream, the citrus tartlet and the poorly-marketed-but-astonishingly-delicious "chocolate bread and butter pudding" makes up for it.

Boarding last Sunday in Los Angeles, luncheon was served deck 6 at the atrium, and we were welcomed quite warmly with nobody suggesting visiting the HC.

On the Emerald embarkation lunch menu recently:

o Broiled Salmon

o Chicken cacciatore

o Grilled beef tenderloin

Dessert choices:

o Apple tart

o Orange Souffle

o Sherry trifle

o Ice cream or frozen yogurt

There is always one open for lunch. We normally go to the International Café (IC) located in the Piazza for our lunch. Not crowded since everybody crowds to the buffet. The IC food is free so why fight the crowds on embarkation day.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

On the Emerald embarkation lunch menu recently:

o Broiled Salmon

o Chicken cacciatore

o Grilled beef tenderloin

Dessert choices:

o Apple tart

o Orange Souffle

o Sherry trifle

o Ice cream or frozen yogurt

Thanks Carbill! If they have anything like this on the Ruby 5/17, i'll be happy to be able to skip the first day buffet madness!