choosing vendors in skagway and ketchikan

cruisinpoler

Hi. I plan to use independent vendors for our July cruise on Crown Princess. I have narrowed it down to two in Skagway and 2 in Ketchikan and could use some help deciding which to use.

Skagway: We want to see the Yukon, ride the dog carts at Caribous Crossing, and take the train... Chilkoot VS Dyea Dave: costs are comparable. Dave seems very personable and I like that he stops at a small cafe for lunch; however, he only offers the option of taking the bus up and the train back, and I kind of want to take the train out and the bus back. Also, he does not guarantee a dog cart rise at Caribou Crossing and that is very important to us. With Chilkoot, you have the option of taking the train up and the bus back, they have a tour which includes the dog cart for sure, but the lunch does not sound all that special. If anyone can speak to how crowded the dog carts are and how difficult it is to get on one, it would be appreciated. I like that Dave's operation seems small, like a mom and pop type thing, but I like the options offered by Chilkoot.

Ketchikan: Salmon fishing- Ketchikan charter boats vs. Alaska Catch. Just can't decide. The only influencing factor is that Ketchikan charter boats has a couple of bad reviews on tripadvisor and alaska catch has none. Is that a big deal? probably not, but I don't want to have to deal with a grumpy person if I can avoid it. Thanks

Hi. I plan to use independent vendors for our July cruise on Crown Princess. I have narrowed it down to two in Skagway and 2 in Ketchikan and could use some help deciding which to use.

Skagway: We want to see the Yukon, ride the dog carts at Caribous Crossing, and take the train... Chilkoot VS Dyea Dave: costs are comparable. Dave seems very personable and I like that he stops at a small cafe for lunch; however, he only offers the option of taking the bus up and the train back, and I kind of want to take the train out and the bus back. Also, he does not guarantee a dog cart rise at Caribou Crossing and that is very important to us. With Chilkoot, you have the option of taking the train up and the bus back, they have a tour which includes the dog cart for sure, but the lunch does not sound all that special. If anyone can speak to how crowded the dog carts are and how difficult it is to get on one, it would be appreciated. I like that Dave's operation seems small, like a mom and pop type thing, but I like the options offered by Chilkoot.

Thanks

Hi: I'm just up I-10 from you in LC!

We took Chilkoot to the Yukon four years ago -- wonderful day. We were in a small group in a mini-bus for the portion of the trip after the train ride (Bennett Lake I think?) and the return ride. Meal was fine --nothing brilliant. Caribou Crossing is definitely "touristy" and I have no info about the dog cart rides. Give Chilkoot a call :)

Ketchikan: Salmon fishing- Ketchikan charter boats vs. Alaska Catch. Just can't decide. The only influencing factor is that Ketchikan charter boats has a couple of bad reviews on tripadvisor and alaska catch has none. Is that a big deal? probably not, but I don't want to have to deal with a grumpy person if I can avoid it. Thanks

For the specific tour you want- with the Caribou Crossing stop, Chilkoot Charters is going to be a better fit. Chilkoot also takes you to Carcross, so you could stop at the Bakery. The cart ride, is ok, probably is not what you may be expecting. It's pretty dirty, and the dogs aren't those beauties, siberian huskies. :) Some are darn ugly. :) Being that is what your chosen priority is, then selecting a specific tour for it is vital. Dave- is someone I highly recommend, his tours are fantastic, but- different with not usually stopping at Caribou Crossing. The afternoon train, works out very well with this schedule.

Both Chilkoot and Dave are good local companies in Skagway. Both are family operations and do a good job.

I was very happy with the tour I did with Chilkoot in 2012. I did the Bennett Scenic Tour which had the long train ride first - all the way to Carcross - we then boarded the mini bus and drove to Emerald Lake and then back to Skagway. We drove by the Caribou Crossing complex. It looked very touristy to me. Here is a link to their website: http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

I think I would prefer to do a dog sled ride on a glacier - which can be done in Juneau.

Here is a site I found very helpful for determining what I wanted to do in the various AK ports www.cruiseportinsider.com