When is a cabin really unavailable????

Presto2

Hi,

We are totally confused. In the past we have always booked early and paid the extra to get the cabin we want. Last night we tried to book a specific cabin for next year to be told by P&O that the ones we wanted for the 14 nights 10th - 24th were unavailable. We did challenge this as much as possible and so did out TA but they kept saying that the ones we wanted had people in them. So rather than not go on the cruise we went for the last remaining cabin (they said) in that grade.

I've just checked again this morning and if I put in the 2 1 week cruises for that cruise e.g. 10 - 17th and 17th - 24th there are lots of cabins of that grade free plus the ones we asked for..... that we were told had people in them. They are all free for the 2 weeks.

I should be pleased about booking a cruise, but I feel let down and that P&O are not exactly telling it as it is. I have now got back to my TA to get back to P&O and ask them to change the cabin to what we want and what, under a Select Fare we are entitled to.

If its us and we're wrong please say ---- have never had this issue before.

PS Please don't just reply and tell us that we shouldn't care about specific cabins - it doesn't worry some people, but we like to pick where we are going.

My travel agent said he used to work for p&o and it is standard practice that they block off bulk quantities of certain grades to drive early bookers to higher grades or to feel pressured to book as there are few cabins remaining. They then release them when it suits their own agenda, keeping for example a lot of the cheapest grade back to sell at reduced late saver prices where many who have already booked have paid more because of their manipulation of the appearance of availability.

My travel agent said he used to work for p&o and it is standard practice that they block off bulk quantities of certain grades to drive early bookers to higher grades or to feel pressured to book as there are few cabins remaining. They then release them when it suits their own agenda, keeping for example a lot of the cheapest grade back to sell at reduced late saver prices where many who have already booked have paid more because of their manipulation of the appearance of availability.

Maybe standard practice in the industry? I know Thomson do it, "hurry,only 3 cabins left", total nonsense :mad:

Hi Presto -

I always book with P&O direct by phone and every time, the system has always said that the cabin I want is not available - but they have always said that is no problem and have retrieved and booked me into the cabin I wanted.

Are you able to phone them direct to query or do you have to go through your TA?

Edited by Scriv

Hi Presto -

I always book with P&O direct by phone and every time, the system has always said that the cabin I want is not available - but they have always said that is no problem and have retrieved and booked me into the cabin I wanted.

Are you able to phone them direct to query or do you have to go through your TA?

Now going through the TA. Last night our TA put the speaker phone on and we could hear the P&O rep. The rep definitely said that someone was in the cabin/s we wanted. I am being generous and thinking that it was someone new to the role perhaps / maybe thought that it not coming up meant someone was in it.

I've read a previous thread about them holding cabins back, but thought that P&O would be ok if our TA phoned them like you do and ask them for a specific cabin.

Oh well - will let you know how it goes.

The reason we have checked today is because we didn't believe that there were so few cabins left ....... far too cynical for that ! :)

PS Going through the TA as we are getting another 5% off and they are, to be fair, usually very good.

Edited by Presto2

Yes, it could be someone inexperienced with the process and the system and not clued up enough to challenge. Let's hope your TA gets to someone else. It could be a plus having him/her to bat for you - might have more influence.

Hope you are successful. We too put a lot of effort into choosing our cabin when booking select and early so can understand your frustration completely. And if those cabins come up with a different search, they are obviously available to my mind. I would definitely stick at it.

Good luck.

Edited by Scriv

Yes, it could be someone inexperienced with the process and the system and not clued up enough to challenge. Let's hope your TA gets to someone else. It could be a plus having him/her to bat for you - might have more influence.

Hope you are successful. We too put a lot of effort into choosing our cabin when booking select and early so can understand your frustration completely. And if those cabins come up with a different search, they are obviously available to my mind. I would definitely stick at it.

Good luck.

Hi TA just got back to me and P&O have told her that for the Oceana fly / cruise they have some cabins allocated for 7 day stays and some for 14 day stays. We want to do 14 days and the cabin we want is allocated to a 7 day stay so we can't have it. I really can't see what difference it will make for the Cabin Steward as he / she will have one less to do on the day we don't get off the ship! I suppose P&O know that they will sell them so why change the system to suit us.

Is it me but how does this fit in with the idea of a Select Cabin and picking the ones you want?

How do I pursue this one anyone? Who is the next person to call?

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and has taken the shine off us booking -- we're usually like excited puppies and today we're really 'flat' about the whole Select Booking thing. Looking back we would have had more 'influence' if we said we wouldn't book unless they gave us the cabin we wanted .....

Edited by Presto2

Oh dear. I guess they are covered as somewhere they say that we get choice of cabin with Select Bookings subject to availability - however so much of the promotion to book early is to get the cabin of your choice and this reason is rather weak.

I would phone Customer Services as my first port of call ...

Edited by Scriv

Oh dear. I guess they are covered as somewhere they say that we get choice of cabin with Select Bookings subject to availability - however so much of the promotion to book early is to get the cabin of your choice and this reason is rather weak.

I would phone Customer Services as my first port of call ...

Am on hold as we speak.... will probably get nowhere though. Hey ho.:)

When you book on line and check which cabins are available the web site is never going to reveal all the unsold cabins. This information would be extremely helpful to rival cruise lines, so they tend to offer a small selection. If you are persistent you may access a greater range but they do strategically block bookings from some cabins for their own reasons.

When you do an early booking to get the cabin of your choice you are being mislead; and most cruise lines do the same thing, because you are picking from the ones they offer not all unsold cabins remaining on that cruise. The problem here is that you are paying a premium price to get the choice and if you ask about a specific cabin; the cruise line agent knows it has simply been classified as unavailable because it has been blocked off. They tend to tell you that that particular cabin has been sold and say other passengers have already filled it. What they do not tell you is that despite paying a premium price we do not want you to have that cabin because they feel it will be easier to sell later either direct or as a complex multi cabin upsell strategy whereby a string of people will be offered a fantastic upgrade for a few hundred pounds later on and we do not want you to spoil our plan.

Regards John

Good luck Presto.

Have just spoken to a lovely young lady named Angela (thank you) who then spoke to someone else for us who has ------ agreed to change it :D:D:) We are now in the cabin we wanted in the first place.

Common sense has prevailed and it has restored my faith in P&O customer service. We will be more careful next time though.

Sad that they didn't change it for the TA but she spoke to someone else who had been a bit more matter of fact - i.e. this is the way it is so live with it.

Am very happy now though - but am very sick of hearing the P&O 'on hold' tune...:D

Off to put the cruise clock on .......

Edited by Presto2

They tend to tell you that that particular cabin has been sold and say other passengers have already filled it.

Regards John

I think this is what annoyed me the most - being told a lie that the cabin had people in it when it clearly has not. I said that we had been mislead into making a booking and just wanted someone to explain to us why we couldn't have the cabin when it is obviously free!

If nothing else it has shown me that sometimes you need to question and not just accept what you are being told is how it is.

As you mentioned in your opening post, cabin location isn't high on everyone's list but it certainly is on mine (for my own personal reasons) & I spend a lot of time researching where I want to stay.

I'm so glad you got the cabin you wanted & that you can now look forward to your cruise :)

Just make sure you've got 'no upgrades' against your booking as it'd be a nightmare if you got moved after all this :eek:

Joan

Just make sure you've got 'no upgrades' against your booking as it'd be a nightmare if you got moved after all this :eek:

Joan

They did that for us without asking - I think they'd guessed we wouldn't be too happy ;)

I just hope it is as nice a cabin as we think now :D:D:D

What have you booked? You don't have to give away your secrets, lol....

We've booked A321.

We have had A318 twice in the past which is the same cabin port side and always loved that location - very quiet and with a great view of the Bridge.

Cabins above, cabins below.

Have just got back from the Oceana and we had a starboard side cabin for the 7 day version of this cruise for the first time B227, so know that starboard is probably the best re views, the sun etc for the 2nd week at least for this criuse.

I know the cabin is near the front, but we love being up at the pointy end or right at the back in an aft cabin. We don't worry about it getting choppy....

The cabin they wanted us to have was right at the front opposite the stairs / corridor that the staff use. It looked like it was under the Bridge but we weren't sure. It looked like it could have been noisy and not as private as the Bridge looked right on to the balcony....... yes, I know they probably aren't that bothered, but it would have felt a bit like a goldfish bowl. :):D

I can understand them wanting to split cabins into 7 and 14 night groups as they need to do that to balance the outgoing and return flights. however it is obviously possible to swop cabins between the categories!

It might not be possible if there were no longer any cabins left to swop with.

I am on Oceana in November in A305 - further along towards the front from you in A321. Haven't been on Oceana before, but we also like being up at the front. We are only on there for 2 nights anyway, so nothing can be too bad!

I am on Oceana in November in A305 - further along towards the front from you in A321. Haven't been on Oceana before, but we also like being up at the front. We are only on there for 2 nights anyway, so nothing can be too bad!

You will love Oceana I am sure. If you need any tips just ask :):)

The new cabin is already on our cruise personaliser so all in all good service today.

I can understand them wanting to split cabins into 7 and 14 night groups as they need to do that to balance the outgoing and return flights. however it is obviously possible to swop cabins between the categories!

It might not be possible if there were no longer any cabins left to swop with.

I suppose I can see what you mean on this one. Perhaps they just need to put something in the brochure and then everyone knows how it works.