First Time Cruiser - Questions

newbie_mke

I am all set for my late June Alaskan Cruise!

Helicopter Ride and Dog Sledding is at the top of my List. I have already booked through Icefield Excursions for the morning Trip at Skagway.

Next is Whale Watching - I would like to book through Harv and Marv; but I want to keep it open and book after reaching Juneau. My thought process is - If the helicopter+dog sledding is cancelled at Skagway due to bad weather, I can have a shot at it at Juneau (as adviced by Alaska Icefield Exc). So in that scenerio - I would like to be flexible with the Whale Watching Excursion. May be take one early one in the morning or late afternoon.

1. Having said that, assuming Harv and Marv is full and apart from Orca, what are the other reliable options of Whale Watching in Juneau which I can book at the pier?

2. Star Princess reaches Juneau as early as 6:30 AM. Will there be Whale Watching Tours starting as early as 7:30?

3. The Ship leaves Juneau at 4 PM. By what time I need to be back for boarding?

4. What are the best excursions that we can book at the pier in Ketchikan?

The reason I used booking agent was because direct booking with TMESCO is possible only through Princess and the difference in $$$ is 50$ per person.

Can someone please list the reliable vendors in the pier at least at Juneau please.

The reason I used booking agent was because direct booking with TMESCO is possible only through Princess and the difference in $$$ is 50$ per person.

Can someone please list the reliable vendors in the pier at least at Juneau please.

My husband went fishing, and just as a last minute idea I took a jet boat whale watch from Juneau Whale Watch located in the row of kiosks at the pier. We had 18 people on the boat and even though the picture looks like it's crowded, it was not. The seats were a pretty good size and there was space for outside viewing at the front and back. I'm the worst photographer, but maybe you can make out the whales in the picture and see that many boats are at the same location. The captains talk back and forth and when someone spots a whale, they all know it.

Anyway, I had a good time with these guys. YMMV. :)

2107771159_Juneauwhalewatchboat.jpg.4bd2761c2de07affea2593f182317d71.jpg

1796287396_Juneauwhalewatch.jpg.a4ce8c9496e4402ea9baf723159620d3.jpg

241555801_Juneauwhalewatchshuttle.jpg.bcad5ed4ab9ae2a702aabbb305605314.jpg

Edited by Suzanne123

For various reasons we could not commit to a booking in advance and just walked up to Juneau Tours and Whale Watching. It was $125 pp for that and a trip to Mendenhall Glacier. It was terrific but we were lucky that there was room on the only time window. All the best, Tony

I agree with the others who recommend booking your excursions early. On our first cruise to Alaska we waited and were shut out from a number of excursions we really wanted to do. Alaska is incredible. Book early and experience it as fully as you possibly can.

There is no "list", of the booth renters. It changes year to year. There are also several other "vendors", who have offices in Juneau to also book with.

You, need to first, determine what tours you are looking for, then find a vendor.

If you are open to random tours, then your shore excursion list will give you ideas, http://www.traveljuneau.com