Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LI

LauraS

Can someone tell me what exactly does the complimentary continental breakfast include?

We are thinking of booking an 8:15 excursion and want to have a quick breakfast in room while getting ready.

Will it be just cereals and fruits or will any hot items be available?

Hot drinks, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc.

OJ, tomato juice, etc.

Danish, etc.

If you've been on NCL before it'll be what you hang on your door before 4 am. That shouldn't change.

Harriet

Hot drinks, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc.

OJ, tomato juice, etc.

Danish, etc.

If you've been on NCL before it'll be what you hang on your door before 4 am. That shouldn't change.

Harriet

This is my first cruise ever hence the question.

And first time traveling on NCL.

Can someone tell me what exactly does the complimentary continental breakfast include?

We are thinking of booking an 8:15 excursion and want to have a quick breakfast in room while getting ready.

Will it be just cereals and fruits or will any hot items be available?

No hot items except coffee and tea. Mainly danish, and cereal.

Until they close the loophole of either $7.95 OR 18% for orders including non-complimentary items, I hope people take advantage of it. Instead of $5 for one 16" pizza, you can now order several 10 inch pizzas plus a can of Pepsi for the low, low price of $2.66 ($2.25 for the can of soda, plus $0.41 for the 18% beverage service charge).

Edited by Mistizoom

Until they close the loophole of either $7.95 OR 18% for orders including non-complimentary items, I hope people take advantage of it. Instead of $5 for one 16" pizza, you can now order several 10 inch pizzas plus a can of Pepsi for the low, low price of $2.66 ($2.25 for the can of soda, plus $0.41 for the 18% beverage service charge).

Has that been successfully tried?

Some other tactics (not loopholes) I could expect:

1. Over-ordering: e.g. multiple meals on one delivery. Especially with families with connecting cabins.

2. Ordering food at a restaurant and then just walking out with it. (Which I believe passengers should be allowed to do, for multiple reasons)

3. More people refusing the DSC.

I also believe this is going to lead to a severe increase in the frequency of viral illness outbreaks, as passengers who might not have felt like making it out due to illness will go to the buffet to get food to bring back, or will eat there if they are not allowed to take the food back to their room.

In a similar vein, what happens to those who are told to stay in their room? Will they be forced to pay the fee for every meal ordered? I can imagine that we would see significant under-reporting in that case.

I do hope that NCL will rethink this policy, as it seems to potentially create more problems, which could prove costly for the line.

While I don't see any of these changes as monumental, I certainly do understand the disappointment of some CC members regarding these changes. All in all, the changes just strike me as not being well thought out or executed.

That being said, I will be thinking of none of this on the Epic this summer.

Cheers!

Edited by AceDoc

I figured I would post some of the bright sides, the fact that haven and suite passengers don't incur the room service charge is nice. Plus I'm sure most of us have that $300 on board credit.

So for the rest of us peons in insides through minis, "let them eat cake"?;)

Edit: just kidding. I am very happy the Havenites have been spared.

Edited by punkincc

We usually only use room service for late night snacks after a night of drinking :cool: I fully plan on placing 1 order for my whole group if we go this route for our upcoming cruise. Considering O'Sheehan's is almost 24 hours, it may be better just to go there ... but if we do order room service, it will not be one or two items. Good catch with the pizza ;)

Has that been successfully tried?

Some other tactics (not loopholes) I could expect:

1. Over-ordering: e.g. multiple meals on one delivery. Especially with families with connecting cabins.

2. Ordering food at a restaurant and then just walking out with it. (Which I believe passengers should be allowed to do, for multiple reasons)

3. More people refusing the DSC.

I also believe this is going to lead to a severe increase in the frequency of viral illness outbreaks, as passengers who might not have felt like making it out due to illness will go to the buffet to get food to bring back, or will eat there if they are not allowed to take the food back to their room.

In a similar vein, what happens to those who are told to stay in their room? Will they be forced to pay the fee for every meal ordered? I can imagine that we would see significant under-reporting in that case.

I do hope that NCL will rethink this policy, as it seems to potentially create more problems, which could prove costly for the line.

While I don't see any of these changes as monumental, I certainly do understand the disappointment of some CC members regarding these changes. All in all, the changes just strike me as not being well thought out or executed.

That being said, I will be thinking of none of this on the Epic this summer.

Cheers!

The precedent is the problem. It should make everyone leary of signing up for a cruise. NCL has used a policy that is typically a fail safe, as a loophole for a legal bait and switch. They obviously can -- and may and probably will -- change ANY onboard fee without notice. And people who say that they could come back and rescind things like the free UBP, UDP are right. They have the right to do so. They can unilaterally change ANY fee in your cruise and do so outside of the cancellation window. Once the cancellation window closes, you, the passenger have NO RIGHTS in this matter (at least US passengers don't). Think about that as your cancellation window is coming up....

The precedent is the problem. It should make everyone leary of signing up for a cruise. NCL has used a policy that is typically a fail safe, as a loophole for a legal bait and switch. They obviously can -- and may and probably will -- change ANY onboard fee without notice. And people who say that they could come back and rescind things like the free UBP, UDP are right. They have the right to do so. They can unilaterally change ANY fee in your cruise and do so outside of the cancellation window. Once the cancellation window closes, you, the passenger have NO RIGHTS in this matter (at least US passengers don't). Think about that as your cancellation window is coming up....

Are you saying that if you booked under the UBP as a freebie, they can take it away? How do you figure?

We usually only use room service for late night snacks after a night of drinking :cool: I fully plan on placing 1 order for my whole group if we go this route for our upcoming cruise. Considering O'Sheehan's is almost 24 hours, it may be better just to go there ... but if we do order room service, it will not be one or two items. Good catch with the pizza ;)

Plus if you order extra you can put some in the fridge for later. on a different note is it true that you can ask them to clear the fridge?

Plus if you order extra you can put some in the fridge for later. on a different note is it true that you can ask them to clear the fridge?

Yes, you can ask them to clear the fridge if you want. We don't because the kids inevitably want something, and I've take a bottle or two of the wine before ... but lots of people do ask for it to be emptied.

Edited by SissasMomE

Yes, you can ask them to clear the fridge if you want. We don't because the kids inevitably want something, and I've take a bottle or two of the wine before ... but lots of people do ask for it to be emptied.

Awesome, thank you.

Yes, you can ask your cabin steward to clear out the fridge (minibar) so you can store your own items in there instead. However, I think you have to be careful using the fridge for food. 1) I don't think they necessarily get cold enough for food storage and 2) my understanding is that on the newer ships when/if you remove the keycard or other card from the slot by the door there is no more electricity to your room, including the fridge (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, because I haven't been on one of the ships with this "feature" yet).

Edited by Mistizoom

Yes, you can ask your cabin steward to clear out the fridge (minibar) so you can store your own items in there instead. However, I think you have to be careful using the fridge for food. 1) I don't think they necessarily get cold enough for food storage and 2) my understanding is that on the newer ships when/if you remove the keycard or other card from the slot by the door there is no more electricity to your room, including the fridge (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, because I haven't been on one of the ships with this "feature" yet).

I don't think the fridge powers off.

Yes, you can ask your cabin steward to clear out the fridge (minibar) so you can store your own items in there instead. However, I think you have to be careful using the fridge for food. 1) I don't think they necessarily get cold enough for food storage QUOTE]

You are correct...it really is not that cold...but fine for some things and short term storage.

y'all still get the OBC right?

Only suites and the Haven get ALL the choices including the big OBC. The rest of us from Ocean View up get to choose ONE from the list, which includes some OBC as a choice, but not a lot. Most pick either the UBP Or UDP for the best value. So no, we do not have $300 OBC to cover things like room service convenience fees.

I don't know what you Haven folks would find to spend your $300 on anyway, since you have, what, the UBP, UDP, Free Grats, Free Room Service..... did I miss anything? What else is there to spend your cash on? I think you should just start a charity fund for the rest of us with it:D.

Are you saying that if you booked under the UBP as a freebie, they can take it away? How do you figure?

Probably not take it away entirely, but they COULD greatly devalue it by increasing the drink prices so that many of the drinks you planned on having would no longer be included.

Or in the case of the UDP, they could remove some venues from the included list.

Or, and this seems to already be happening....a family with 2 kids books with the free UDP promo in order to have some very special dining experiences the kids might not be able to afford at home, like escargot at Le Bistro. They were planning on the kids ordering the adult fare, not chicken fingers. No mention of it being for the first two in the cabin, or children excluded. A week or so before their cruise, they get an email informing them that only Mom and Dad get the UDP. The kids must order off the same "children's menu" available ship wide. If they order "escargot" they will pay full cover.

Also reported was a case where Mom and Dad purchased the UBP and assumed the kids could eat for half off the cover charge as had been policy in the past. The first night, Dad settled the bill and then was chased down the hall by staff who informed him they had made an error, policy had changed last week and he must pay full price for the child's meal. These two incidents are in a thread I think on page 4 here.