Ethernet on Oasis?

I'll be on the Oasis in a couple of weeks. One of my computers is not able to access the wi-fi network on the Oasis; it needs to be hardwired via ethernet cable. Does anyone know if there is anyplace on the ship where this can be done? Thanks for any information. Len.

I'll be on the Oasis in a couple of weeks. One of my computers is not able to access the wi-fi network on the Oasis; it needs to be hardwired via ethernet cable. Does anyone know if there is anyplace on the ship where this can be done? Thanks for any information. Len.

Get a USB WiFi adapter.

Actually, there are Ethernet connections available. When we went on Allure a couple of years ago I had some trouble accessing the Wi-Fi on my MacBook Pro. Guest Service told me to go to the internet café to meet up with tech support.

There we were a whole bunch of Mac users with the same problem.

The tech support girl told us it was a known problem that they were working on.

But here's the twist that will help you as well:

She told us to unplug the ethernet cable from our stateroom phone. They are all hard wired IP phones with regular RJ45 connectors.

When I connected the cable to my computer I got access to the regular network as I would have on Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps. :cool:

10 Print "I love my C64"

20 goto 10

run

Ahhhh! The good old days of Basic.

Doesn't the RC IT department still program in basic.

[emoji48]

Edited by papcx

I don't think they'll let you on the ship with your Commodore 64 any how Len. ;)

Big G, that is funny. Truth be known, I have to do some work on this vacation; the laptop is client owned and secured against public wi-fi. Hard-wire fools it :D and my vpn connection to their site then works. Len

Big G, that is funny. Truth be known, I have to do some work on this vacation; the laptop is client owned and secured against public wi-fi. Hard-wire fools it :D and my vpn connection to their site then works. Len

I've never been able to get a VPN to work over the ship's WiFi. However, I've also not tried on the O3b internet service that is now running on Quantum and Oasis class. I'd be interested to know how it works for you.

I feel your pain Len. I have to stay connected on a ship too but I can use the WIFI. Sometimes I yearn for the days gone by when they couldn't reach me by any network. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But here's the twist that will help you as well:

She told us to unplug the ethernet cable from our stateroom phone. They are all hard wired IP phones with regular RJ45 connectors.

I would really recommend you check with customer service or someone before you do this. If you did this without their knowledge and ship's security found out I'm sure there would be more than a few questions to answer.

I would really recommend you check with customer service or someone before you do this. If you did this without their knowledge and ship's security found out I'm sure there would be more than a few questions to answer.

Yes, I had been thinking similarly. I purchased a wi-fi to ethernet adapter (NetGear WNCE2001) that was cheap through Amazon. I tested it and it works perfectly. A friend, who is a network expert and who cruises a lot also, steered me in this direction and says it will work on the Oasis. I merely need to set up my account in the internet cafe with id and password, and in the connection setup of the adapter, use this id and password. Hoping what he said is true. The proof will be known on May 16, my sailing date. I'll post back here on the success, or non-success :). If for some reason, I can't get it to work, I'll go the route of the phone line, after discussion with the appropriate personnel on the ship. Len

Be sure that the cable you use is really Ethernet also. Ethernet is not the only thing using a RJ45 connector. You might be ok here, but if you plug into the wrong system you might fry your computer.

That must be one hell of and old laptop. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Success !! I am able to have a vpn connection via the wi-fi on the Oasis. Therefore, no wi-fi to ethernet adaptor was needed. The wi-fi on Oasis now is high speed and very good. This is the first time I've been able to achieve a vpn connection with direct connection to a ship's wi-fi. Len

Success !! I am able to have a vpn connection via the wi-fi on the Oasis. Therefore, no wi-fi to ethernet adaptor was needed. The wi-fi on Oasis now is high speed and very good. This is the first time I've been able to achieve a vpn connection with direct connection to a ship's wi-fi. Len

That's very encouraging, that's for reporting back!:)